Shadowing and volunteering

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

redwings54

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am trying to beef up my application for next year and am doing some shadowing and volunteer work. I realize that more is better, but what should be a target goal as far as hours go? Also, should I look for work in any specific department considering I want to be a pediatrician? Any help or experiences you all have would be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

more important than the number of hours is the quality of hours. it's better to show a strong commitment to one organization than a short committment to a bunch. but, i'm guessing you are looking for a magic number and unfortunately there is not. personally, i shadowed an internist for 100 hours one summer and managed to get into medical school. good luck :luck: :luck: :luck:

You shouldn't worry too much about how many hours you volunteer and/or shadow, but more on the experiences you get from doing so....remember certain things or situations which helped you to realize or helped you strengthen your desire to pursue medicine......if you are interested in pediatrics, the obvious thing to do is shadow a pediatrician....that said, shadowing doctors in other areas of medicine cant hurt either, who knows, maybe you're interested in more than just peds? Hope this helps, good luck!! :luck:

I agree with what everyone else said; number of hours don't matter, it's wha tyou do with those hours Do something you enjoy and will get something out of; ask lots of questions, push to see and be involved in many diversified procedures. if you are intereasted in pediatrics, definitely try to shadow in something along tha tline. And DON'T just do it to beef up an application; do it b/c you want to see what it's really like (maybe it's not for you) and to develop yourself and your goals in the medical field