shadowing as a non-trad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jacq

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey there! I'm interested in shadowing some docs so I thought I'd send out some letters/emails to a bunch of docs from various specialities in hopes that they'll say "Come on over Jacq!" Has anyone had success or failure with this method? Any suggestions on what to say in the letter/email?
Also,can anyone share what it's like to shadow if you're a 30+ non-trad? Have you found docs to be open & receptive to you despite your non-traditionalessness (is that a word?);)

Thank you in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Also,can anyone share what it's like to shadow if you're a 30+ non-trad? Have you found docs to be open & receptive to you despite your non-traditionalessness (is that a word?);)

Thank you in advance!

I don't think being non-traditional and older had a negative impact at all. I found the docs that I shadowed very receptive to my situation, considering they were in my age group. I think this fact coupled with the knowledge that they were once in a similar position really helped. :D

Both docs (and the residents) that I shadowed went out of their way to give me the insider's view of their jobs, from patient interaction, to the backroom differential diagnosis determination, to the intense amount of paper work involved. Since I had EMT training, they permitted me to interact directly with the patients that we followed in the wards, and allowed me to perform physical assessments and gather prior and current medical history. I even took call with them. Of course the residents and attending monitored me closely the whole time, but I literally felt like I was part of the team and learned an amazing amount about patient care and the role of the physician.

My family med doc had an eleven year old when she started med school, it would be sort of absurd if she was anti-non trads : )

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think being non-traditional and older had a negative impact at all. I found the docs that I shadowed very receptive to my situation, considering they were in my age group. I think this fact coupled with the knowledge that they were once in a similar position really helped. :D

Both docs (and the residents) that I shadowed went out of their way to give me the insider's view of their jobs, from patient interaction, to the backroom differential diagnosis determination, to the intense amount of paper work involved. Since I had EMT training, they permitted me to interact directly with the patients that we followed in the wards, and allowed me to perform physical assessments and gather prior and current medical history. I even took call with them. Of course the residents and attending monitored me closely the whole time, but I literally felt like I was part of the team and learned an amazing amount about patient care and the role of the physician.

wow, your shadowing experiences sound awesome!

I agree, I don't think being a non-trad should have a negative impact at all either, but I was thinking more along the lines of responses from the random selection of docs that were asked to be shadowed. I'm assuming that some of them went into medicine more traditionally and was just wondering if they were open to being shadowed by someone older than a traditional premeder.

I'm assuming that some of them went into medicine more traditionally and was just wondering if they were open to being shadowed by someone older than a traditional premeder.

I bet they would be. I didn't mean to give the impression that both of the attending physicians that I shadowed were non-traditional. In fact, the FP that I shadowed was completely traditional in how he became a doctor. He seemed to acknowledge that I was older, and he treated me like a colleague. I would even go as far as to say that I think it was refreshing to him that I wasn't a run of the mill applicant, but someone who had lots of life experience. So, no, it wasn't weird at all, and nobody that I had any contact with had any sort of glitch about me being older. One of the PA's and some of the patients might have confused me for a resident though. :laugh:

I would even go as far as to say that I think it was refreshing to him that I wasn't a run of the mill applicant, but someone who had lots of life experience. So, no, it wasn't weird at all, and nobody that I had any contact with had any sort of glitch about me being older.

So then do you think the idea of sending out these random Dear Dr.blah-blah
letters/emails are okay?

So then do you think the idea of sending out these random Dear Dr.blah-blah
letters/emails are okay?

Yes, personally, I do. I would also describe your situation, so there aren't any surprises. You'll probably get a variety of responses, but generally, I suspect they will be cordial.

Yes, personally, I do. I would also describe your situation, so there aren't any surprises. You'll probably get a variety of responses, but generally, I suspect they will be cordial.

great, thank you!;)

I sent a letter to the head of clinical oncology research at my local medical school and not only did he offer to help, but he gave me the names of pediatric oncologists I could contact (I was interested in shadowing a peds oncologist). I find the "higher up" a doctor is in their field, the less they are contacted by students and therefore the more they are willing to assist. :luck:

I'm assuming that some of them went into medicine more traditionally and was just wondering if they were open to being shadowed by someone older than a traditional premeder.
I didn't meet any resistance. One doc's opinion (probably shared by more than just her) was that she preferred having older nontrads shadow her.

Apparently, more than once she's had premeds who were 19/20/21 who weren't mature enough to present themselves properly while shadowing. And she mentioned that some patients are uncomfortable when the person shadowing looks young enough to be in high school.

I don't think you'll find much pushback, other than the usual pushback you should expect from cold calling.