Shadowing Attire?

Started by Fishey
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Fishey

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
A vet clinic is allowing me to shadow for a day to start off. She never really told me the appropriate attire to wear. Would a white v-neck t-shirt and jeans be okay?
 
You should call and ask. Generally you either need to wear something nicer, like khakis and a nice blouse, or they will have you wear scrubs. Unless they tell you that you can wear jeans, I would go for something nicer and more professional. Hope this helps!
 
I would default to khakis and a plain, good quality cotton T-shirt or slightly nicer shirt, but it's perfectly acceptable to call and ask.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thank you TigerLily and Washbucket 🙂 I will definitely call tomorrow to ask. But what kind of shoes should I wear?
 
Thank you TigerLily and Washbucket 🙂 I will definitely call tomorrow to ask. But what kind of shoes should I wear?

Something comfortable since you'll probably be on your feet the entire time. I would die without my danskos but (clean) sneakers would probably work too.
 
Thank you TigerLily and Washbucket 🙂 I will definitely call tomorrow to ask. But what kind of shoes should I wear?

Closed toed and comfortable are a must, I agree on clean sneakers or business shoes.
 
Thank you TigerLily and Washbucket 🙂 I will definitely call tomorrow to ask. But what kind of shoes should I wear?

Close-toed, comfortable, and ideally something that sheds bodily fluids easily or cleans easily. You just never know.

And the others are right: you should call and ask what to wear. It's an all-around win: it signals to them that you care about their image, and you automatically know you're showing up in the right clothes (so no stress for you).
 
Is it small animal? Before I got a pair of scrubs I wore a pair of dress pants and dark blue button ups every day to work. I figured that you can't look too professional... unless you're wearing a suit which I wasn't going to do.