Shadowing attire

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nitemagi

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I start shadowing a psychiatrist doing ER consultations tomorrow. Is a button down, tie, and jeans too casual?

Members don't see this ad.

When I shadowed, I was informed of the dress code at the hospital. No jeans were allowed, but the dress was supposed to be casual. I usually wore dressy pants (black, grey, whatever) and a nice shirt with it. So my guess would be to nix the jeans and you could probably get away without the tie, as long as you look nice.

Jeans are way too casual for ER attire. If you substitute the jeans for tan slacks, you'll be fine. You could also wear black dressy pants, but, at least where I am, that starts getting a bit too dressed up for the ER.

A good rule of thumb for clinical attire is to go with the "business casual" look. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
When I shadowed, the otolaryngologist, he gave me a white coat, so i looked just like the other medstudents. I tried to wear nice shoes (not sneakers), and dress pant. Jean are rather casual. If it's a formal program with a hospital, they should have a dress code. They had specific guidelines when I worked in ER. Tie is really neccesary. But, something nicer than jeans would be good.

I wore nice pants, collared shirt. T-shirts are bad. During the summer i did wear some nice shorts though. Its hot in Davis.

Sometimes i got to wear scrubs.....those were fun too. Thats about it.

I was asked everywhere I shadowed to wear a white coat. But you would want to ask first, because some attendings might think you were overstepping your bounds by wearing the "revered" white coat and not being a med students/doctor.

But I will say this...none of the patients even questioned my presence when I wore the coat. I think it probably made them feel better about me being there, just because the coat told them I would be professional and compassionate.

If I hadn't had the white coat, then in their eyes I would have just been this weird guy listening to their personal problems.

Really? I just wore jeans and a top. Well, it was a really informal thing, I won a shadowing date with an ER doc at this auction at school, and she didn't mention anything about a dress code. She's a really laidback kinda gal, really cool. It was definitely an interesting experience....

I guess this is a little late for nitemagi, but when I shadowed in the ER, the doc who set me up told me to go w/a tie and khakis, but they ended up giving me scrubs which I wore from the second day on- and when I was doing my EMTB clinicals I went with a dress shirt (that I was willing to get bloody/vomity) and khakis w/no tie.

So all went well. He actually told me when I was there that I didn't even need a tie. Slacks and a button down. Easy enough. It was a very laid back atmosphere, and we actually stayed in the psychiatric emergency services area, which was basically like a relaxed clinic. Thanks for the info everyone. :)