Shadowing: Call around or go in??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

letsdoitbama

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well I've tried searching around on the forums but still not quite sure on this... I want to start shadowing but don't know the best way of going about it. It's obviously easier (and takes much less time) to call around multiple places asking to shadow, but also maybe easier for them to say no. I get the impression some would rather personally walk in and typically drop off a resume. Part of me feels the dentist is very busy regardless, so is it worth driving around resume-dropping rather than calling until someone bites? Opinions very much appreciated, thanks!

p.s. my general dentist currently lives a couple thousand miles away, so no go until maybe summer.

Members don't see this ad.

Well I've tried searching around on the forums but still not quite sure on this... I want to start shadowing but don't know the best way of going about it. It's obviously easier (and takes much less time) to call around multiple places asking to shadow, but also maybe easier for them to say no. I get the impression some would rather personally walk in and typically drop off a resume. Part of me feels the dentist is very busy regardless, so is it worth driving around resume-dropping rather than calling until someone bites? Opinions very much appreciated, thanks!

p.s. my general dentist currently lives a couple thousand miles away, so no go until maybe summer.

I called around and was lucky to find one place, but I think it does seem like a smarter idea to drive around to near by dentists to personally ask. If you cant get anyone in close proximity to agree, then you should prob call up places that may be 20-30 min away from you.

When I shadowed I did both. However, I was not lucky enough to get anything over the phone. All of my succesful contacts were from me driving to the office and asking. Its a little harder for them to say no ;). Also you can make sure the receptionist doesn't just put you on hold and get back on and say no :D

Members don't see this ad :)
I called around. I called probably 15 or 16 places and shadowed at about 10.

Your best bet is to go to a dentist you know personally. I am pretty sure they will let you stay, because they know you are not some random criminal on the street. Also, you will have a much easier time obtaining a recommendation letter from your general dentist than a dentist who don't know you well. If this is not an option, then you should go into a dental office and try to give the dentist a good first impression about you. Again, you want to assure them that you are a good person. It is easier to refuse someone through the phone than in person.

Well thanks for the responses guys, maybe I'll try a mixture of both. Seems like 10/15 for calling is higher percentage than others I've briefly seen on here, maybe you have a nicer voice than most. I'm going to shadow my GP back home after I graduate in may, but would like to start local towards the end of the semester. Any opinions on whether resume-dropping is necessary, or simply just exchanging brief information with I assume the receptionist?

I did both. I personally asked my gp and my friends mom who is also a gp. They had no problem. I walked into a random orthodontics office near my house and asked the orthodontist there. He also had no problem. This past december I called multiple office's near my university and was lucky enough to set up a meeting with the only oral surgeon in the area. I went to his office and discussed a few things with him. He also had no problem. Last week I had some sensitivity in my teeth and scheduled an appointment at some random gp near my university. When I went for my appointment I told him I was applying to dental school, etc. It was actually him who asked me if I wanted to shadow (weird huh?). In short, although I do believe it would be better to ask in person, calling would not hurt either, that way you can schedule a time that is good for the dentist, allowing more time for you to discuss things. Also, showing up in person could make it harder for them to tell you no;).

I shadowed at 6 clinics all by calling, none of the places asked for a resume, they simply wanted to know basic information like where I attended school, number of hours I want to do, what I want to see. The oral surgeon I shadowed asked to meet me first before I started, the others did not.

I'd say going into offices would give you the best chance of scoring a shadowing gig. However, request to see the dentist. Tell the receptionists that you are a dental student who has heard wonderful things from patients about that dentist and that you would love to meet him/her. The receptionists are trying to do their job, which a significant part is to keep the doc's schedule manageable. If you just ask the receptionist, chances are they'll just tell you that they will call you. But if you catch the dentist between patients, chances are they would love to have you come in and observe. For the most part, dentists will welcome you with open arms. The trick is to sneak past the receptionists (not literally).

Hello all, i am curently about to start shadowing as well... I have a couple of things lined up from networking but my question is are there any specific things dentist look for initialy on that first interview with them? Besides the obvious passion for the profession, personal information, and hours avalible. Im wondering if there are any sure fire questions i can possibly have ready to ask away to make a great first impression.

I would say try a shotgun approach and call/email a ton of places that are further away. And just walking into the close places.

Thanks for the replies guys, I'll definitely try some of these "techniques" out if I ever get through these tests on Friday