Shadowing DO & LOR

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hellome123

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am applying to AACOMAS this cycle but still need to shadow a DO for schools that require a LOR from a DO physician. When asking to shadow a DO, should I ask them first if they would be willing to write a LOR or should I wait until after I've shadowed?

Members don't see this ad.

I am applying to AACOMAS this cycle but still need to shadow a DO for schools that require a LOR from a DO physician. When asking to shadow a DO, should I ask them first if they would be willing to write a LOR or should I wait until after I've shadowed?

I would wait, but I think it's personal preference. I would be more comfortable asking after I felt like they got to know me a little bit. I'm asking one tomorrow, but it's after 24 hours of shadowing this doctor. I think that many doctors are aware of the requirement though, and may not be offended if you asked right away.

Yet.... like I said, I'd still wait until after you've spent some time with them.

I agree it's up to you. If it were me and I were trying to apply this cycle like you stated, I don't think there is anything wrong with being honest and up front and letting them know why you want to shadow. That way you can get a vibe for how enthusiastic they might be before you waste time shadowing. I know you need the hours for applying anyway though!! Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
i believe most physicians that take on pre-med students for shadowing know that you are looking for a LOR sometime during your experience... I would not personally ask beforehand and just ask them after your shadowing experience.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm sure he knows you are looking for a letter but the proper thing would be to shadow first then ask.

Survivor DO

Reactions: 1 user
I'm currently shadowing a DO.. I just told him that I am planning to appy this cycle..and it is my first time shadowing.. Never really asked if he could write a letter for me.. Somehow he knew I would need a letter from him.. And told me to bring CV and other materials that might help him to write LOR ..

I'm currently shadowing a DO.. I just told him that I am planning to appy this cycle..and it is my first time shadowing.. Never really asked if he could write a letter for me.. Somehow he knew I would need a letter from him.. And told me to bring CV and other materials that might help him to write LOR ..

My doctor said " so when do you need that letter by?" I wasn't looking forward to asking, but i never had too. All doctors know you need a letter so don't worry to much.