Shadowing DO/LOR

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Aidan

Res Ipsa Loquitur
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm in a dilemma and would appreciate an answer to this question.

I've found a D.O. to shadow (who happens to be the residency program director of one of the largest level II trauma centers in my state) and was wondering the policy on LORs. I just became a sophomore, so I'm not applying for a couple years, and was wondering if it was okay to have an LOR from this far back. I mean, the LOR will be around 1.5 - 2 years old by the time I apply. I don't want to miss this opportunity, 'cause I think this physician is a good source for an LOR. Any feedback appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Wait until you're closer to applying. This doc isn't going anywhere. Keep shadowing/volunteering and make an impression on him.

Posted via Mobile Device

Wait until you're closer to applying. This doc isn't going anywhere. Keep shadowing/volunteering and make an impression on him.

Posted via Mobile Device

The doctor isn't going anywhere, no, but I am. I'm transferring out of my CC to..far away from where I am now. Forgot to add that.

Members don't see this ad :)
They usually want the letters to be from something a little more recent. You've got plenty of time to make new contacts, and this will still be a good experience for you. That way, you won't be brainless when you move onto your next clinical experience.

We have students rotating at my hospital, and the ones with significant clinical experience before med school stand way out from the ones who did not.
Posted via Mobile Device

They usually want the letters to be from something a little more recent. You've got plenty of time to make new contacts, and this will still be a good experience for you. That way, you won't be brainless when you move onto your next clinical experience.

We have students rotating at my hospital, and the ones with significant clinical experience before med school stand way out from the ones who did not.
Posted via Mobile Device
Good point, thanks. Kinda bummed, though.. an LOR from him (with his credentials) would look really good. :oops:

Nah. You'll be fine. The people reading the letters are not likely to get awe-struck because the guy who wrote the letter is accomplished or well-known. A letter from someone who knows you well would be preferred. Once you get to your new home, go find the busiest hospital you can, and volunteer. See if you can work your way into the night shift (I did this, initially, without the consent of my volunteer coordinator; I kind of just started showing up at night). Work hard. Get to know people. Don't be a douche. Don't take anything personally.

I got two killer letters from work at the ER. One from one of our DO's, and another from one of our nurses.

Posted via Mobile Device

Just my opinion, but that is no reason to shy away from asking for a letter now. If you feel this doctor will write a positive letter on your behalf, then by all means you should take advantage of that before its too late. What is the point of asking for a letter a year later?

Also, I disagree with this theory that the status of the letter-writer is not important. Tex, you'll discover this very quickly when you reach rotations. By far the person that will know you the best will be your intern, but asking him or your resident to write you a rec letter for residency is pretty much pointless. As a pre-med, securing letters from academic faculty and practicing physicians should be a top priority.

I think I was misunderstood. Yes, a letter from a physician or a professor will be better than a letter from a TA or something. My point was just because this guy is the program director at a busy hospital doesn't mean that his letter will carry more weight than a letter from some attending somewhere else who knows you well from a year of volunteering/working.

It can't hurt to ask for the letter. My point is just that there will be plenty more opportunities, and that this should not be the extent of your clinical experience.

My college pre-med office won't send a recommendation that is more than a year old, and i am sure other schools have the same policy. From my experience, though, most physicians, whether they are MD/DO, will write a recommendation if your stats are reasonable.

both of your responses are most helpful, thanks:). still don't know what i'm going to do. if he does write a letter, should I just have him give it to me in paper, or should i make an interfolio account now? :-\

If you set up interfolio now, you will have to renew it every year until you apply. It isn't that expensive, but I'm not sure they even will keep letters for more than two years.

You can get the letter after shadowing, then have the doc update it later. This will be easily done if you have a copy when the time comes around. You can be upfront when asking for the letter, stating that you will need to have it updated in a couple of years. Either 1) make sure Interfolio will keep the letter for that long 2) you get a copy of the letter or 3) your school will keep it for you. If you don't have a copy for yourself, then you can get the doc a copy, since you can't expect him to keep it saved on his computer for that long.