Shadowing Etiquette

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IvkPharma

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
Just a question and some input on the rules and behaviors one must undergo while shadowing a pharmacist. Generally speaking. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,
Just a question and some input on the rules and behaviors one must undergo while shadowing a pharmacist. Generally speaking. Thanks

Yea - this is actually a good question.

I shadowed a pharmacist for about 30 hours at a hospital pharmacy last summer. My number one advice to give you is to stay close to him, but not too close. By law/policy, you will need to accompany him/her wherever he/she goes. Stay close but still give them their space. Your number one goal will be to make sure that you are not an annoyance.

I pretty much just let him do his job, while I was observing very closely. My goal was to make sure that I was not in his way or a distraction from his normal everyday tasks. My questions were typically simple and relevant and came only at times where it was appropriate for him to take a moment off of his duties.

Shadowing is like a fine art of making sure that you are not an annoyance to everyone while trying your best to make yourself a likeable person for future opportunities.

Have fun!

Awesome, thanks for the prompt reply. Now you mention that you shadowed for 30 hours. Is the average shadowing timespan based on some criteria that I am not aware of ? Also, how would I go about getting it all put on record. Sorry if these ?'s are amateurish haha but I'm only a sophomore in undergrad. Thanks

I never actually "Documented" my shadowing hours.. But, if I had to I have a way to contact the individual that set me up with the shadowing experience. This way, if I ever had to provide proof, I would ask them to write up a short email or something.

As for how much shadowing you want to do is entirely up to you. I did 30 hours because that was the number of hours the pharmacist was working that one week. I did one full week of shadowing.

If you did need to document the hours, I would simply have a document that the pharmacist could sign off on stating the days/hours you shadowed. Also, make sure to get an email or phone number of the pharmacist in case you ever have to contact him/her.