Shadowing in an academic ED

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EM4life

attending
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey just a thought, do you guys think it's possible for a community attending to shadow at an academic ED? I think being several years out of residency, I feel like I need some exposure to an academic ED's trauma and maybe more tertiary care type of patients but don't want to leave my current job. Could it be done or will hospitals usually resist something like this?

Members don't see this ad.

A lot of academic places hire moonlighters, so it may be worth sending your CV and let them know you're interested in part-time work.

Hey just a thought, do you guys think it's possible for a community attending to shadow at an academic ED? I think being several years out of residency, I feel like I need some exposure to an academic ED's trauma and maybe more tertiary care type of patients but don't want to leave my current job. Could it be done or will hospitals usually resist something like this?
Since you seem to be asking about "shadowing" only and not about anything else ... do you know any physicians at an academic ED near you? Ask them. In addition, it's advisable to call the AMC and ask about its shadowing policies for physicians. Each AMC will have its own policies.

I thought a med student (IMG) is we asking this. Surprised to see it was an attending!

In any case, I think that HIPPA and stuff will make it difficult to do this, and other policy related stuff which precludes IMG grads as well.

Plus dude you’re an attending. Just pick up some shifts at an academic center. Start with double coverage shifts.

Last edited: