Shadowing in Atlanta

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Prodigy33

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know of any neurosurgeons willing to allow premeds to shadow in the Atlanta area?

Members don't see this ad.

A fellow Georgian? What school do you go to? :D

Can't help ya on the shadowing ordeal. Grady has volunteering that is basically like shadowing. That hospital has so much wrong with it it's almost right..

I go to Georgia State University. I tried Grady and they put me in Guest Services which sucked....

Members don't see this ad :)
Tell Rhonda Shannon to put you in whatever department interests you. I have friends that were in departments that totally sucked but others that was the highlight of their undergrad(current med students)

Pascoe might be able to help. He's intimidating, but the man's got connects

I hear neurology is active, but you do mostly paperwork.

You go to Ga State too? What's your major?

I've heard of people cold calling neurosurgeons, giving their story and sometimes catching a break with a willing surgeon. Email may work and also be easier to do, but its much easier to say "NO" with an email or ignore it all together. You can even just ask to shadow them in clinic and as your relationship grows and they start to trust you a little more, you may get to follow them on a few cases. Although it may be a long shot, you don't have anything to lose, right?

I've heard of people cold calling neurosurgeons, giving their story and sometimes catching a break with a willing surgeon. Email may work and also be easier to do, but its much easier to say "NO" with an email or ignore it all together. You can even just ask to shadow them in clinic and as your relationship grows and they start to trust you a little more, you may get to follow them on a few cases. Although it may be a long shot, you don't have anything to lose, right?

Yea!! I think I'm going to go and ask them in person.

I went to GSU, I transferred this semester. I use to be a chem major. Now a biochem and genetics double major at UGA. What year are you?

Try AMSA. They have connects too. Tri-beta has some good speakers too. You can also try Atlanta Medical Center. choa starts volunteer apps in the fall - it's competitive. Apply asap. Emory midtown is a good place to volunteer. I'm not sure where you can volunteer near Lithonia. Grady is great since it's so easy to do it while taking your harder classes. It's literally right there. Plus, they aren't that strict so if you miss a day or two because of exams they won't notice. Crazy hospital though

I went to GSU, I transferred this semester. I use to be a chem major. Now a biochem and genetics double major at UGA. What year are you?

Try AMSA. They have connects too. Tri-beta has some good speakers too. You can also try Atlanta Medical Center. choa starts volunteer apps in the fall - it's competitive. Apply asap. Emory midtown is a good place to volunteer. I'm not sure where you can volunteer near Lithonia. Grady is great since it's so easy to do it while taking your harder classes. It's literally right there. Plus, they aren't that strict so if you miss a day or two because of exams they won't notice. Crazy hospital though

I'm a senior Biological Sciences major. I'm applying this cycle but I'm short on clinical experience. I graduate in the fall, so I was going to shadow and do more volunteering this year. I have no research though.

I'm a senior Biological Sciences major. I'm applying this cycle but I'm short on clinical experience. I graduate in the fall, so I was going to shadow and do more volunteering this year. I have no research though.

Neuroscience Institute. That program is the best thing GSU has going for it besides Andrew Young. GREAT opportunities for research. Talk to Dr. Katz, Dr. Pallas, or anyone else in the NI. They have a program this summer I believe. Brains and behaviors. I loved doing research there. I also did research at Emory and Tech. I liked working in the NI better.

Volunteering = grady is an easy in. The other places require a bit of work. You can email Mrs. Shannon tonight and get the ball rolling in a week maybe.

Out of curiosity who did you take for o-chem?

Neuroscience Institute. That program is the best thing GSU has going for it besides Andrew Young. GREAT opportunities for research. Talk to Dr. Katz, Dr. Pallas, or anyone else in the NI. They have a program this summer I believe. Brains and behaviors. I loved doing research there. I also did research at Emory and Tech. I liked working in the NI better.

Volunteering = grady is an easy in. The other places require a bit of work. You can email Mrs. Shannon tonight and get the ball rolling in a week maybe.

Out of curiosity who did you take for o-chem?

I took Dr. Comar for Orgo1 and Dr. Pascoe for Orgo2. Dr. Pascoe was awesome!!!!