Shadowing in High school?

ComputerGuy365

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Y'all,

I am a Freshman in high school, and I have just developed a profound interest in the medical field. I figured shadowing would be a good idea, because it would allow me to see whether medicine is really the way I want to go. Any ideas where to start?

Thanks,

Zach

P.S. I am interested in Neurology and Psychiatry, but that may change as my life goes on.

Members don't see this ad.

Go for it if it's for personal interest but don't kill yourself...nothing you do in high school really counts on a med school app anyway...and the time between now and the time you apply to med school is equal to half the time you've been alive so there's really no rush :)

Not sure if your age will be a limiting factor anywhere...maybe not idk

I had some "accidental" shadowing hours.(by which I had to follow around my uncle while he was doing rounds because he was taking me home from school and needed to see some patients first so yeah accidental) but it's really not a rush and honestly after talking to his partner(I was around your age when he was my regular ride home from track practice) I was only really allowed there because he was my uncle and was "watching me". I would wait unless you have family in the field because there maybe laws about minors in on patients(especially under sixteen minors). I still shadowed in college. Just focus on good grades, and getting into college first.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello Y'all,

I am a Freshman in high school, and I have just developed a profound interest in the medical field. I figured shadowing would be a good idea, because it would allow me to see whether medicine is really the way I want to go. Any ideas where to start?

Thanks,

Zach

P.S. I am interested in Neurology and Psychiatry, but that may change as my life goes on.

I would be a little concerned about developing a "profound" interest in something. I know it is in vogue to try to use big words, but that is not the one you are looking for. You are also nearly a decade away from applying to medical school. Do well in high school, and learn something. Then go to undergrad and continue to develop and think about this then.

Reactions: 2 users
Hello Y'all,

Thanks,

Zach

Hi Zach, shadowing is a great way to see if medicine is what you might be interested in for a career. You can shadow with pretty much any doctor, as long as they are willing. I'd suggest starting with any family friends or connections you have to local doctors. You could ask about shadowing with them, if they work in a specialty you're interested in, or ask them to help put you in touch with a doctor that's in neurology/psych. Good luck.

I would be a little concerned about developing a "profound" interest in something. I know it is in vogue to try to use big words, but that is not the one you are looking for. You are also nearly a decade away from applying to medical school. Do well in high school, and learn something. Then go to undergrad and continue to develop and think about this then.

You're seriously criticizing a ~15-year old for working to expand his vocabulary?

Reactions: 1 users
Hey Zach, I'm a senior in high school and I logged around 300, literal hours of shadowing since I was a sophomore. I agree with what Indeededathrowaway said above, start with someone you know or a local doctor, and Build connections that way. That's what I did, and now I have Neurologists writing my reference letters. One thing though, I was 15 when I was a freshmen, and the hospital made me wait til I was 16 for some reason. It might be an OR rule, but I'm not sure. If you have any questions, feel free to ask me!

Hey Zach, I'm a senior in high school and I logged around 300, literal hours of shadowing since I was a sophomore. I agree with what Indeededathrowaway said above, start with someone you know or a local doctor, and Build connections that way. That's what I did, and now I have Neurologists writing my reference letters. One thing though, I was 15 when I was a freshmen, and the hospital made me wait til I was 16 for some reason. It might be an OR rule, but I'm not sure. If you have any questions, feel free to ask me!

Thanks. Really appreciate the advice. I do not expect to be shadowing in the OR at least until I'm a Pre-Med Student.

I can suggest some type of volunteering in a healthcare setting: hospitals, nursing homes/senior facilities, and even ambulance services (depending on what state you're in). That's how I got my exposure to healthcare in high school. Also, most high schools require some type of community service for organizations like National Honor Society (and some even to graduate). It's a good way to find out early if you enjoy the setting or not.

Shadowing also isn't a bad idea. I suggest asking physicians with their own practices, as hospital shadowing might be more involved (as to paperwork, training, etc). Depending on your area, hospital shadowing might also be limited to students in undergrad or beyond.

Enjoy high school, explore possible interest areas, and try to narrow down what career you want to pursue.

It's definitely a huge plus if you are applying to combined programs.

If you can, try to shadow with a doctor that doesn't deal with (very) sick people. Go for rehab/injury doctors. You still get experience, and there's a lesser chance that you'll end up in bed for a month with some weird superbug.