Shadowing MD-PhD for traditional MD Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

klever

Reaction score
Hello SDN,

I have already shadowed some physicians, however now I have the opportunity to shadow an MD-PhD. My plan is to apply to a traditional allopathic medical school, and wanted to know if adcoms for these schools would look favorably on MD-PhD (research-oriented) shadowing experience, or if it would be better to spend time just shadowing practicing physicians instead.

I am fortunate to have the option to choose who to shadow, and wanted to know if I should just shadow a new specialty I haven't shadowed yet or shadow the MD-PhD instead. Both seem interesting to me, and I personally would have no preference between the two. Thank you! (Sorry if this has been asked, I couldn't find a thread for this anywhere)

Members don't see this ad.

What exactly would you be doing shadowing this physician?
They have consultations with patients, and council and attempt treatment for patients involving the diseases that they research. I would observe these consultations and see their patient interactions in their day-to-day.

Members don't see this ad :)
Okay... so why are you concerned?
Hmm, that does make me seem a little over-anxious for no reason. You're right. Maybe I should take this opportunity! Could develop connections within their field (a research heavy field, could be interesting). Seems like I just wanted to talk outloud a bit about my thinking I guess.

Hmm, that does make me seem a little over-anxious for no reason. You're right. Maybe I should take this opportunity! Could develop connections within their field (a research heavy field, could be interesting).
Yeah you are overthinking. From what you disclosed, I don't see why you are worried about this.

Reactions: 1 users
This sounds like a great shadowing opportunity! I don't see any reason to be concerned 😊

Reactions: 1 user