Nov 5, 2010
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
Do you or your parents know any doctors or other people in the medical profession through church or school? You could ask them if you could shadow and they probably would let you. My family knows a few M.D.s through our church and I will most likely be shadowing one of them next week.

You could also call your local hospital or check out their website. Volunteering at a hospital even just doing small tasks is a great way to get exposure to the medical profession. I will be volunteering at my local hospital starting in mid January.

It's also worth a try to call the local hospital and see if you could shadow any professionals there.

High school is the best time to get exposure to the medical field and see if it is what you enjoy. Best of luck. :D

Pepipanda

10+ Year Member
Dec 20, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. MD/PhD Student
I have gotten most of my shadowing experience by asking family friends, friends' parents, neighbors etc. However, one of the hospitals where I live has a shadowing program that high schoolers and college kids can do. It's a half day that you apply for a few weeks in advance (they have it about once a month). Check out the websites of places near you.

Also, I'm planning to ask my pediatrician at my next visit and see if she will let me shadow on a day off school.

About the Ads

futuredocDB

10+ Year Member
Aug 5, 2009
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
I recently got to shadow my dermatologist. I just asked if I could shadow her some day when I went in to see her. She suggested some of her other doctor friends I could shadow too. It's a lot easier than I thought. You just gotta ask and don't get discouraged if they say no.

Richardh

10+ Year Member
Jul 3, 2008
Status (Visible)
You have nothing to lose so ask and seek out doctors at hospitals and clinics :) Eventually one of them will assit you :thumbup:

About the Ads
This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.