shadowing optometrists

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Zopt9

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any advice where to shadow optometrists? I'm in El monte, Los Angeles.
What should I learn from shadowing experience? What kind of questions the interviews likely to ask about the shadowing experience?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I suggest you vary your shadowing experience; that is, shadow a private practice, a group practice, a franchise — don't just paste yourself to one doctor for a long while.

Interviewers tend to ask just general questions about what you observed. The "point" of shadowing is to get you acquainted with the day-to-day practice of optometry so you have a more solid idea of the profession you're pursuing.

There should be plenty of optometrist in that area. I would just make a list of optometrists nearby and start cold calling. I called about 10 optometrist and was able to shadow two of them. I think the point of shadowing is to get to know this field better and make sure you know what you are getting your self into. I didn't get asked too much shadowing question in my interviews, probably because I integrate my shadowing experience in my answer to other questions, and optomcas has a section for you to talk about your shadowing exerience.