shadowing optometrists

Started by Zopt9
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Zopt9

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Any advice where to shadow optometrists? I'm in El monte, Los Angeles.
What should I learn from shadowing experience? What kind of questions the interviews likely to ask about the shadowing experience?

Thanks.
 
I suggest you vary your shadowing experience; that is, shadow a private practice, a group practice, a franchise — don't just paste yourself to one doctor for a long while.

Interviewers tend to ask just general questions about what you observed. The "point" of shadowing is to get you acquainted with the day-to-day practice of optometry so you have a more solid idea of the profession you're pursuing.
 
There should be plenty of optometrist in that area. I would just make a list of optometrists nearby and start cold calling. I called about 10 optometrist and was able to shadow two of them. I think the point of shadowing is to get to know this field better and make sure you know what you are getting your self into. I didn't get asked too much shadowing question in my interviews, probably because I integrate my shadowing experience in my answer to other questions, and optomcas has a section for you to talk about your shadowing exerience.