Shadowing physicians, already working in healthcare

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bruster

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I've been perusing this forum for a while and have found it immensely helpful, but haven't seen my specific question, so I am throwing it out there and hoping to get some advice. Quick stats: 3.63 GPA, 3.65 sGPA, no MCAT yet. Diverse ECs, member of the LGBT community, moderate amount of volunteering, no formal shadowing hours.

I am a physical therapist, and have been practicing in a variety of settings since I graduated with my doctorate 5 years ago from a top-tier healthcare university. The majority of my experience has been in a hospital, where I work closely with physicians across multiple specialties every day. I attend rounds with them, have daily conversations about the patients I am collaborating with them on, and am frequently in the room when physicians are rounding on patients. All in all, I have worked closely with intensivists, neurologists, neurosurgeons, hospitalists, physiatrists, orthopedic surgeons, and primary care physicians.

I am personal friends with a few physicians, and they all feel like I do not need to accumulate shadowing hours in order to have a strong application, but that makes me nervous. Do any of you have experience or advice for this situation?

Members don't see this ad.

It really depends on the opportunity cost of shadowing. If you have zero hrs left in your life to give then you might skip it, just be aware that your GPA is below target for MD matriculants and experience minimally (if at all depending on the scope) offsets GPA/MCAT. One of my friends who just got in worked as a combat medic in the middle east (former military) and he put in shadowing hours. The reality is that almost everyone you will be competing against for a slot will have shadowing and considering ~50% don't get in are you willing to put yourself at a disadvantage?

My two cents that I've gleaned from the process toward non-traditionals is this: one thing adcoms want to see in non-trads (especially successful ones) is that you are willing to realize you are starting from the bottom of the food chain. Whether you were a successful lawyer, tech entrepreneur or a Ph.D, they want to make sure you understand that until you are an attending (and even then) that what you did previously doesn't count on the "doctor ladder." By refusing to "check the boxes" you are already sending the impression that you don't think you have to start from the bottom like everyone else. If you really want to be a doctor, the first step is getting past the gatekeepers and that entails playing the game by their rules.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi all,

I've been perusing this forum for a while and have found it immensely helpful, but haven't seen my specific question, so I am throwing it out there and hoping to get some advice. Quick stats: 3.63 GPA, 3.65 sGPA, no MCAT yet. Diverse ECs, member of the LGBT community, moderate amount of volunteering, no formal shadowing hours.

I am a physical therapist, and have been practicing in a variety of settings since I graduated with my doctorate 5 years ago from a top-tier healthcare university. The majority of my experience has been in a hospital, where I work closely with physicians across multiple specialties every day. I attend rounds with them, have daily conversations about the patients I am collaborating with them on, and am frequently in the room when physicians are rounding on patients. All in all, I have worked closely with intensivists, neurologists, neurosurgeons, hospitalists, physiatrists, orthopedic surgeons, and primary care physicians.

I am personal friends with a few physicians, and they all feel like I do not need to accumulate shadowing hours in order to have a strong application, but that makes me nervous. Do any of you have experience or advice for this situation?
Don't listen to them...shadow. I have worked in healthcare for 10+ years in the OR, ER, ICUs, Med/Surg, you name it. I have done some pretty invasive things while working as a surgical tech for a few years as well. When I spoke with an adcom they told me they were very impressed but they want to see shadowing experience. Is it stupid? Yes. But just check that checkbox and move on. I didn't learn anything new from shadowing since I have worked with docs side by side for over a damn decade but I still had to do it. It is a dumb requirement for us that have extensive experience but you still have to do it. So basically, find some shadowing to do and just do it and get it over with.

Members don't see this ad :)
I got told by an adcom that despite ~10,000 hours of extensive clinical experience between the civilian world and the military AND having shadowed a vascular surgeon and a Navy GMO that I should probably do some shadowing of a primary care doc. And I'm one of four primary care providers for my command.

So it's probably a little important. If you can swing it, do it. You don't need that many hours.

I got told by an adcom that despite ~10,000 hours of extensive clinical experience between the civilian world and the military AND having shadowed a vascular surgeon and a Navy GMO that I should probably do some shadowing of a primary care doc. And I'm one of four primary care providers for my command.

So it's probably a little important. If you can swing it, do it. You don't need that many hours.
This lol. Find a few primary docs and shadow here and there.

Thanks for the input! I figured as much but wanted to make sure before I dove in.

Reactions: 1 user