Shadowing Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted999444

How do medical schools feel about getting shadowing hours through a program? My college has a summer shadowing program with the local hospital that is 9am-5pm five days a week for a month. Would med schools care if this is the only shadowing I have?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think it is going to affect anything because it is through a program. At least 150 hrs total shadowing experience you are going to have. I would be following different specialties if I were you if it is possible. For example 30 hrs OB-GYN, 30 hrs ED, 30 Family Medicine, etc...

Reactions: 1 user
How do medical schools feel about getting shadowing hours through a program? My college has a summer shadowing program with the local hospital that is 9am-5pm five days a week for a month. Would med schools care if this is the only shadowing I have?
Assuming at least 50 of the hours would be shadowing physicians, that they include primary care (OBGYN, Pediatrics, Internal Med, Family Med, or Psych), and some of it is office-based, you'd have covered expectations (unless you're applying to programs that also want some rural shadowing).

Reactions: 1 user