Shadowing Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

numbersloth

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
A hem/onc doc just agreed to let me shadow her. She asked me how long and for how many days. My previous shadowing experience was 5 days of 8 hour shifts. Is this reasonable to expect again? I don't want to insult anyone by throwing something out there that isn't appropriate!

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats on getting another shadowing experience! Since you already have 40 hours, you've hit an unofficial minimum, so you can request fewer hours if you want. How about you give her the option of 5 days of between 4-8 hours each day and see what she says?

Congrats on getting another shadowing experience! Since you already have 40 hours, you've hit an unofficial minimum, so you can request fewer hours if you want. How about you give her the option of 5 days of between 4-8 hours each day and see what she says?

Yeah, I realize I've hit the minimum, I'm just still like "OMG I need to see if medicine is really the right choice" since I've only shadowed one type of doc (ER).

Members don't see this ad :)
Yup, I understand. You're definitely doing the right thing in shadowing multiple specialties.

I think 5 days for 8 hours is good. It should give you a glimpse into what that specialty is like and what an average work week looks like.