Shadowing Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dndn

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been shadowing in a ER for a while now and its great but I never actually get to do anything besides observe. I was just wondering... from everyone else's shadowing experience do they ever let you do anything?

If I am starting med school there in the fall do you think I can start a preceptorship there in the summer? Will my med student liability coverage cover me for the summer or do I have to wait until the fall?

Members don't see this ad.

dndn said:
I've been shadowing in a ER for a while now and its great but I never actually get to do anything besides observe. I was just wondering... from everyone else's shadowing experience do they ever let you do anything?

If I am starting med school there in the fall do you think I can start a preceptorship there in the summer? Will my med student liability coverage cover me for the summer or do I have to wait until the fall?

I don't know the answer to the preceptorship question. However, as far as shadowing goes, the definition of shadowing a doctor in the truest of senses is to observe a doctor.

to actually be able to do anything clinical, I would guess that you would need to be a certified tech of some sort, either as a PCT or EMT or med assistant, etc. etc.

dndn said:
I've heard of people being allowed to scrub in and hold the retractors during surgery or something like that, but to be honest, if you're shadowing a doctor, I don't see a huge need to actually -do- anything. If there's something weird going on, maybe the doc will let you auscultate/palpate something, but normally, seeing is more than enough for me.

Like guju said, if you want to do something, you'll most likely need your own certification.

Members don't see this ad :)
dndn said:

agree with what everybody else has said in terms of shadowing. As for preceptorship, the most likely answer is no, but you can probably check directly with your medical school for an answer. But you'll have lots of opportunities once school starts so I won't worry too much about it. Have you tried asking the school if they can give you a list of physicians whom you can contact as preceptors?

dndn said:

I have a question.

Are you already accepted to med school, because if that is the case then you'll get plenty of clinical time to see everything. So I wouldn't be sooo worried about trying to start preceptorships early. They'll assign one to you when you start.

At least from what I heard at USF med school, they assign you one from your very first year. So you'll get plenty of chances to see different things.

dndn said:

ask a lot of questions, express interest, let them know you'd like to be able to get more involved. I've shadowed in several depts including the OR and felt like I got really great exposure and was right there with the docs in everything that was legal without a license

some surgeons let people scrub in and do some menial tasks, and since youre already med school bound i presume docs would look favorably on that. ive always wanted to shadow a pathologist and view slides and frozen sections, but i havent found any opportunities. i guess the field isnt big on shadowing.