Abby_Normal

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 11, 2009
Status
Medical Student
I'm in a slightly odd situation with asking a doctor if I can shadow her.

Basically, over the winter, I got an email from my mom saying that her doctor had offered to let me shadow her this summer and also offered the following MCAT advice.... I gather they were chatting and my mom mentioned that I was applying to med school.

So, anyway, now I should probably get the ball rolling on this, but I'm not really sure how to approach the doctor, whom I've never actually met, basically whether I should pretend to be oblivious to her conversation with my mom or mention it. I feel like not mentioning it would be awkward, because she I feel I should include reference to how I got her name, but I am not sure how to phrase it...

Thanks!

Mar 7, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
Just contact them directly, email or office number, most doctors are more than happy to help pre-meds in figuring out what they want to do/get in some shadowing hours. I also wouldn't put too much thought into the previous conversation your mom and her doctor had, You'll probably only hear from the doctor that she knows your interested in medicine. Hope this helps.