Shadowing/Research for MD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1038633

I'm sort of new on this website and thought it would great to ask professionals here.

At what year in university should I start looking to shadow physicians?
And also, is research going to help me when I apply to MD schools?

Thank you very much.

Members don't see this ad.

Earlier the better - not necessarily for your application, but to get an idea if the doctor gig is really for you.

Yes. Again, earlier is better - you’ll be a more valuable part of the lab’s team once you’ve got some experience. Research is a great experience for more than just MD admissions.

Last edited:
I'm sort of new on this website and thought it would great to ask professionals here.

Thank you very much.

1. You should start shadowing physicians like yesterday (jk but like ASAP)... Not only for your app but to confirm this is the field of you. How do you know for sure if you want to do something without seeing a day in the life?

2. Research can and will help, especially for certain schools. Some schools aren't AS huge on it however it will never hurt.

Aside from these two things, I would recommend trying to get clinical experience too. Get your CNA/MA/EMT/something to get you into a facility working/getting a first hand experience in patient care.

Get your CNA/MA/EMT/something to get you into a facility working/getting a first hand experience in patient care.

Oh okay. So MD schools in general prefer it when their applicants have first hands experience with patients + shadowing? I was actually interested in scribing during summer but I'm not really sure whether that will help strengthen my apps?

Thanks for your replies btw! :)