Shadowing timeframe

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kochanie

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do you shadow a lot in a week, over the summer, over the year(s), or is it completely up to the doctor? I only have a few free weeks this summer and I want to pack it all in, but not sure doctors would like that?

Members don't see this ad.

It honestly depends on your relationship with the doctor. For example, my father's good friend is a plastic surgeon, I arranged to shadow him for 8 hours at a time for a couple weeks 3 times a week. But while interning(part of the internship allotted for shadowing hours) I could only get in a max of 4 hours a week. If you know the physician I have found in my experience and my friends' experience that it is much easier to stack hours. My buddy (who is currently at a DO) asked his mom's friend if he could just do 80 hours of shadowing in 2 weeks if he bought him lunch everyday and the doctor agreed.

Programs are usually more spread out I've found. The one we have here is 4 hours a week every week.

Reactions: 1 user
It honestly depends on your relationship with the doctor. For example, my father's good friend is a plastic surgeon, I arranged to shadow him for 8 hours at a time for a couple weeks 3 times a week. But while interning(part of the internship allotted for shadowing hours) I could only get in a max of 4 hours a week. If you know the physician I have found in my experience and my friends' experience that it is much easier to stack hours. My buddy (who is currently at a DO) asked his mom's friend if he could just do 80 hours of shadowing in 2 weeks if he bought him lunch everyday and the doctor agreed.

Programs are usually more spread out I've found. The one we have here is 4 hours a week every week.
I see! Thank you! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you shadow a lot in a week, over the summer, over the year(s), or is it completely up to the doctor? I only have a few free weeks this summer and I want to pack it all in, but not sure doctors would like that?
Combine the days then!
Some days I have gone from watching c-sections from 6am-11am to being in the cath lab/clinic from 1pm-6pm.
Boom, two birds with one stone.

Reactions: 1 user
Combine the days then!
Some days I have gone from watching c-sections from 6am-11am to being in the cath lab/clinic from 1pm-6pm.
Boom, two birds with one stone.
:) I will be doing lots of double-triple days, but during Orgo I want to do as little as possible.