Shadowing Two Vet Clinics at Once?

Started by Fishey
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Fishey

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have an opportunity to shadow a small animal vet clinic and I was wondering if I should also shadow at a large animal clinic at the same time? I do not have any large animal experience whatsoever and I've heard that many vet schools like seeing large animal experience? Would this be a good idea? 😕
 
Yes, absolutely! Rounding out your application is always a good thing, plus it will be good for you to experience both sides - large and small animal med can be pretty different. Depending on where you go to vet school, you'll probably have to do large animal rotations, so it will help you later on.
 
I have an opportunity to shadow a small animal vet clinic and I was wondering if I should also shadow at a large animal clinic at the same time? I do not have any large animal experience whatsoever and I've heard that many vet schools like seeing large animal experience? Would this be a good idea? 😕

I work at two clinics! I'm sure it'd be a great idea if you can fit it in. Also, almost anytime you can gain a wider range of experience, it's probably a good plan.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am trying to do this myself this summer, but large animal vet shadowing requires me to travel so for one week I hope to travel out of the city to shadow a large animal vet. I know I won't have enough hours in a week, but its something! To answer your question - yes, definitely! I asked about this too, and apparently diversity of experience is very valuable!