Shadowing vs Dental Experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

propestivestudent98

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
What's more important: shadowing or dental experience?

I have some shadowing experience and plan on getting more, but I currently work at a dental lab trouble shooting issues we have with cases (scan quality, issues with crowns and implants, etc). And I feel like I've learned more about general dentistry through that lab job than I have shadowing. By the time I apply, I would have 1800+ hours working at the lab vs 50 hours shadowing a GD and 160 with an oral surgeon. Very off balanced, but I've learned a lot that has made me excited about dentistry.

Do schools value shadowing or experience more?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Don’t overthink it. Both are valuable experiences in their own way. They will certainly look favorably upon the great amount of experience you have in the lab, as it is both work experience and exposure to the field. They’re aware that shadowing isn’t always the best way to learn about the profession, but it has its place. It doesn’t have to be one or the other, they will look at the experiences as a whole. The only thing I might be worried about is if the school has a minimum shadowing hours requirement that must be with a general dentist.

Reactions: 1 users
see if you can get 100 hours with a general dentist, I believe some schools require that.

Otherwise I think your lab experience will be more valuable than any shadowing experience

Members don't see this ad :)
Isn't the whole point of shadowing to make sure dentistry is the career you want to pursue? Dental experience is helpful in that you will have an advantage in the dental school labs, but in the real world .... most dentists are not doing that type of lab stuff.

Dental experience as a dental asst is probably more valuable than a lab tech.

What's more important: shadowing or dental experience?

I have some shadowing experience and plan on getting more, but I currently work at a dental lab trouble shooting issues we have with cases (scan quality, issues with crowns and implants, etc). And I feel like I've learned more about general dentistry through that lab job than I have shadowing. By the time I apply, I would have 1800+ hours working at the lab vs 50 hours shadowing a GD and 160 with an oral surgeon. Very off balanced, but I've learned a lot that has made me excited about dentistry.

Do schools value shadowing or experience more?

Thanks!

I can't say which is more important, but I think you definitely have more than enough of both to get accepted. I applied and got acceptances with 50 hours of shadowing a general dentist. That's it lol. No other dental-related experiences. Your narrative - why dentistry, how you got to pursuing it, etc. - definitely matters more than accumulating hours.