shadowing

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by ocean_doc, May 19, 2000.

1. I have had many pre-meds ask me this question: "Is it a conflict of interest to be shadowing one's own physician?"

I think this: It really depends on the doctor. I personally have known patients that have shadowed their own doctors.

What do you think?

Thanks for your opinions.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. gp

gp Member

I think it is also partly up to the student as well. I don't think it needs to be automatically ruled out. It depends on how both feel about how the interaction will affect the doctor-patient relationship.

In my case, I will be a medical student next year at the university where I have my health plan now. It turns out that the nurse practitioner I see on a regular basis teaches a portion of the physical exam course.

In addition, many of my personal friends also get their health care at the same university. I definitely don't want to know my friends that well and would excuse myself/not read their records if it came up. Likewise, I would feel uncomfortable allowing any of my classmates assist on any visits I have.

4. Dr JPH

Dr JPH Banned
    Banned

Resident [Any Field]
    My own personal belief is that if a person were to shadow there own physician it would only be a conflict of interest, or an uncomfortable situation, if both parties ALLOWED it to be. If you are a person who is intending to go to medical school, then it is assumed that you possess a level of maturity beyond that of your age (for younger students, anyway). With this belief, I think a physician and a patient can maintain a professional relationship as well as maintaining the patient/doctor relationship when it is necessary to play those roles.
    Point is, if you don't look at it as being a big deal, then it probably won't be. Speak with your doctor about the concerns.
    Then again, that's just my opinion.

------------------
    Josh Hazelton
    [email protected]
    University of the Sciences in Philadelphia
    "D.O. Wannabe"