Shadowing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

breadbubble

Reaction score
Incoming MS1.
Hi guys. Im honestly really unsure what kind of medicine I wanna do. I am okay waiting until rotations to verify bc I know a lot of people say its hard to know know until you get full exposure. I've never solely shadowed, I've only worked as an MA.

Which fields do you suggest shadowing that maybe changed ur interests or were pleasantly surprising?
I've worked as an MA for derm, fam med, and internal med so none of those.
ANY input is appreciated. THANKS!! <3

Members don't see this ad.

Incoming MS1.
Hi guys. Im honestly really unsure what kind of medicine I wanna do. I am okay waiting until rotations to verify bc I know a lot of people say its hard to know know until you get full exposure. I've never solely shadowed, I've only worked as an MA.

Which fields do you suggest shadowing that maybe changed ur interests or were pleasantly surprising?
I would maybe try shadowing specialties that are not required core rotations. EM, radiology, anesthesiology, PM&R, pathology are some I can think of off the top of my head that are typically not part of core clinical rotations

Reactions: 2 users
I would maybe try shadowing specialties that are not required core rotations. EM, radiology, anesthesiology, PM&R, pathology are some I can think of off the top of my head that are typically not part of core clinical rotations
I appreciate it so much thank you!

Members don't see this ad :)
Read on here previously about shadowing a day or two in the service you're currently studying in preclinical- cards for cardio, etc, which seemed like a good idea.

Reactions: 1 users
I’ve said this in numerous threads but if you just answer these lifestyle questions first it will really help narrow down specialty choice and also provide you the career lifestyle you want. Then you just pick whatever specialty has those things and you hate the least.

1) Inpatient or outpatient or both (can think of this as hospital vs clinic).
2) Weekends, nights, holidays or no.
3) Call or no call.

These things will have more effect on your life than anything else, I guarantee it.

Reactions: 3 users
Incoming MS1.

im biased but i think psych is a good field to shadow because people often dont fully understand/know what we do. I have a student who wants to apply for psych now, and prior to rotating in psych here he wanted to do critical care.

Reactions: 1 user
I’ve said this in numerous threads but if you just answer these lifestyle questions first it will really help narrow down specialty choice and also provide you the career lifestyle you want. Then you just pick whatever specialty has those things and you hate the least.

3) Call or no call.

These things will have more effect on your life than anything else, I guarantee it.
Can you give me an example of how you or someone answered this and helped you/them narrow down specialty? So helpful to have insight. THANK YOU. So appreciated.

im biased but i think psych is a good field to shadow because people often dont fully understand/know what we do. I have a student who wants to apply for psych now, and prior to rotating in psych here he wanted to do critical care.
Greatly appreciated. I will try to reach out to a psychiatrist since I wanna have a better idea of what i wanna do prior to entering md school

Can you give me an example of how you or someone answered this and helped you/them narrow down specialty? So helpful to have insight. THANK YOU. So appreciated.
I’m EM.

1) I hated clinic. I wanted hospital work. Also, if you own a clinic you have to manage/hire your staff and that’s a lot of unpaid work.

2) I don’t mind working holidays and weekends. In fact I prefer weekends since it frees up the week. I’ve also always been kind of a night owl.

3) Hate call. Never.

This method just helps eliminate a lot of specialties for most people. Obviously if you’re “ok with anything” then you either 1) haven’t worked 30 hours straight or 2) haven’t really thought it through because if you did you’ll likely gravitate to one side or the other. These factors are really what dictate your life more outside of work than say being a dermatologist versus a pathologist. Both these jobs have bankers hours and virtually zero call thus similar work life. The actual work part just bleeds together and becomes a blur after year 4,5,6,etc. so it really doesn’t matter what you choose so long as you can stomach what you’re doing because it’s going to become all the same. I can tell you when I call my older surgeon with his 1000th acute appy, he’s not dancing for joy.

Reactions: 3 users

3) Call or no call.

So with this format let's say theoretically:

1. Inpatient
2. I don't mind working weekends or holidays, but nights ehh I will pass.
3. No calls if possible

What specialties does this leave me with? lol

So with this format let's say theoretically:

1. Inpatient
2. I don't mind working weekends or holidays, but nights ehh I will pass.
3. No calls if possible

What specialties does this leave me with? lol
Hospitalist
Infectious disease

Most inpatient work requires 24/7 availability. Services with acute emergencies will have much worse “call” than those that are daily non-urgent or have few true emergencies.

For example: IR or surgery or cards or GI call = high likelihood of coming back to the hospital and spending a substantial amount of time doing a procedure. On the other hand, infectious disease/endocrinology/others: you round and at most you’ll have to answer a few after hours calls and probably never called in the middle of the night.

1. Outpatient
2. Weekends preferably not. Holidays I could be okay with but obvi prefer not. Nights I could be okay with if that means I get weekends.
3. No calls if possible but if it is necessary I would go in

If possible analyze! I really appreciate all your guys' input!

1. Outpatient
2. Weekends preferably not. Holidays I could be okay with but obvi prefer not. Nights I could be okay with if that means I get weekends.

By definition most outpatient work is during normal business hours. Some outpatient heavy specialties still have an inpatient component, which then puts you back in a call pool for nights and weekends etc.

1. Outpatient

Every outpatient specialty can do this. Peds, fm, im, psych, rheum, endo… list goes on. Most outpatient is M-F no nights or weekends and no call (or minimal call, shared in a pool). “Call” outpatient is truly a phone call. You may put an order in or two, but that’s it.

Every outpatient specialty can do this. Peds, fm, im, psych, rheum, endo… list goes on. Most outpatient is M-F no nights or weekends and no call (or minimal call, shared in a pool). “Call” outpatient is truly a phone call. You may put an order in or two, but that’s it.
Thanks! I am still learning a lot about the logistics. I see you're a psych PGY 3 which is admirable. Im pretty sure psych is not for me, though I've never shadowed it, do you recommend shadowing a psychiatrist and are attendings receptive to shadows? I know it can kinda offset the clinic pace / nature so unsure if its worth reaching out.

Thanks! I am still learning a lot about the logistics. I see you're a psych PGY 3 which is admirable. Im pretty sure psych is not for me, though I've never shadowed it, do you recommend shadowing a psychiatrist and are attendings receptive to shadows? I know it can kinda offset the clinic pace / nature so unsure if its worth reaching out.
It would be easier to shadow once you are an actual student at the school.