share your horrible living experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

orgoishard

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
ok, so i'm a second college student trying to finish my pre-requesites for pharmacy schools. I curently have no home and i am forced to rent a room. At the start of my second year, I sort of got a motivation to study hard and get a part time job to support myself so i can pay rent. due to my low gpa because of too much working i decided to cut back my work hours and study at home more.

So i pretty have no social life because of my committment to school and work. that means on weekends, weeknights i'm always home. If i'm not home, i'm either at work or at school. Well apparently my landlord no like this idea of me staying home all the time! lol. she keep asking why i dont go out when its a nice day out and all lol. I sort of got the message when i'm off the whole week for spring break.
I dedicated my entire spring break just to get some needed sleep, and study, study study!!! But landlord no likey either lol. she's been pouty during my spring break! lol . damn...i guess paying rent is not enough to satisfy landlords..lol they want you out of the house and only come back just to sleep!!1 lol...they dont like it when you want to make a meal or take a shower....hehe...oh dear...i'm so depressed...any one with a similar situation??
i just want to have time to study...not have someone over my shoulder keep asking when will i go out!! it is very frustrating and its hard to stay focus!!
 
Last edited:
Can't imagine why a landlord would be concerned with how your spend your time, as long as the rent comes in on time and you don't trash the place...😕 Guess you could try spending more time at your campus library or something.

Can't say my living situation is too horrible, only (minor) gripe is that due to financial circumstances I'm having to take on a roommate. Isn't that bad, though, since it's a guy I've known for 3 years that I get along with pretty well and can trust not to hock my stuff to support his meth habit...
 
Mine is sort of like that - but not as extreme.

I'm either studying at home, studying in groups, or at class.
I really only have time for "social" stuff outside of group projects/study groups like half of a day out of a week.

But if you are asking if anyone else out there has a similar problem with the landlord then no, lol.
It sounds as if she is kind of just joking with you and poking fun at how studious you are. But that's a good thing - study, study, study, like you said... it will pay off in the end 🙂
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Mine is sort of like that - but not as extreme.

I'm either studying at home, studying in groups, or at class.
I really only have time for "social" stuff outside of group projects/study groups like half of a day out of a week.

But if you are asking if anyone else out there has a similar problem with the landlord then no, lol.
It sounds as if she is kind of just joking with you and poking fun at how studious you are. But that's a good thing - study, study, study, like you said... it will pay off in the end 🙂


lol trust i know when someone is joking or poking fun at me. i guess you just got to be there to believe. lol
 
lol trust i know when someone is joking or poking fun at me. i guess you just got to be there to believe. lol


When you moved in did you lead your landlord to believe that you would not be home most of the time? Do you study in your room? Whatever the case, if I were you, I'd start looking for a new room to rent. I wouldn't like anyone bothering me about my comings and goings especially when I'm paying!
 
ok, so i'm a second college student trying to finish my pre-requesites for pharmacy schools. I curently have no home and i am forced to rent a room. At the start of my second year, I sort of got a motivation to study hard and get a part time job to support myself so i can pay rent. due to my low gpa because of too much working i decided to cut back my work hours and study at home more.

So i pretty have no social life because of my committment to school and work. that means on weekends, weeknights i'm always home. If i'm not home, i'm either at work or at school. Well apparently my landlord no like this idea of me staying home all the time! lol. she keep asking why i dont go out when its a nice day out and all lol. I sort of got the message when i'm off the whole week for spring break.
I dedicated my entire spring break just to get some needed sleep, and study, study study!!! But landlord no likey either lol. she's been pouty during my spring break! lol . damn...i guess paying rent is not enough to satisfy landlords..lol they want you out of the house and only come back just to sleep!!1 lol...they dont like it when you want to make a meal or take a shower....hehe...oh dear...i'm so depressed...any one with a similar situation??
i just want to have time to study...not have someone over my shoulder keep asking when will i go out!! it is very frustrating and its hard to stay focus!!

sorry your landlord is bothering you! Have you tried explaining to her that you do a lot of studying while you are in your room? I also found that studying at home to be very successful. I can't imagine studying at starbucks or in other public places. That's just me. Kudos to you for spending your entire spring break on studies. I don't think I would be able to pull that off. It will pay off in the end
 
OP, you have one weird landlady.

In my case, my worst living experience was when I had to share an on-campus room with a guy who snored as loudly as a train. He was an athlete, and I was only able to sleep after he went for morning practice at 5 in the morning. Of course, I usually had class at 8 or 9 in the morning. I tried earplugs, and they would work so well that I would not hear my alarm clock go off.

Other than the snoring, he was a good roommate. However, I moved out the very next semester.
 
my roommate had sex while i was in the room--- nobody can beat a story like that...and its happened more than once apparently, while i was "quietly sleeping" which includes me listening to music to fall asleep to the horrible traffic outside or my roommate "doing it"...i was forced to sleep at multiple friend's places because i was raised in such a traditional family i couldn't take the fact he slept with his gf in the same room as me...just awkward...and the fact that he had sex while i was in the SAME ROOM...messed up my living situation...and I never EVER want to have a roommate EVER again

GET YOUR OWN ROOM-----
 
-Fresman Yr: Roommate with worst B.O. It was horrible because he would always shower but the B.O. would still be there. I never really addressed it to him directly because I felt really bad for him. Instead, I would drop hints like cutting out cvs coupons for oldspice deodorant and leave it next to his bed and I ended up spending $60 a semester on air cleaners (glade-plugins, freebreeze, etc.).:eyebrow:

-sophmore yr: My roommate was a hardcore hippie. He would always eat my food without asking. Also, he would occasionally walk around campus barefooted and then walk into our dorm leaving dirty foot prints on the floor. :annoyed:

-junior yr: A 27 y/o continuing education student who was a former marine and fought in Iraq. He was also extremely religious. I would occasionally return to our dorm with him cranking religious goth music on the stereo. Nice guy, but he ended up moving out for his religious convictions.🙄

-senior yr: I made the smartest move and got a single😀

Those confounded residence roommate match questionnaire forms were always wrong.

my roommate had sex while i was in the room--- nobody can beat a story like that...and its happened more than once apparently, while i was "quietly sleeping" which includes me listening to music to fall asleep to the horrible traffic outside or my roommate "doing it"...i was forced to sleep at multiple friend's places because i was raised in such a traditional family i couldn't take the fact he slept with his gf in the same room as me...just awkward...and the fact that he had sex while i was in the SAME ROOM...messed up my living situation...and I never EVER want to have a roommate EVER again

GET YOUR OWN ROOM-----

My roommate freshman yr did that to me too after we made a contract agreeing not to have sex while the other one is in the room. But it was okay because I got back at him and I did the same thing while he was sleeping. what a bumbitch, he was.

But yeah - that's just wrong. That just doesn't fly with me.
 
Last edited:
its kinda hard to move out when housing and rents are so expensive...and i'm only a student making not much money...
 
that sounds like my landlord the summer i did an internship in CT. when i talked to her on the phone, she was all about being an independent person and wanted someone that kept to themselves.

and it was far opposite of that and stole all my deposit and sent me a crazy email when i asked for it.
 
I loved college so much I stayed for 5 years.


1st year. Dorms:
At the end of Finals, as I'm walking down the hall way, all I would hear is "FIRE IN HOLE!"...BOOM!
or ...BOOOOM... HEAD SHOT! Terrorists Win!

My hallmate: Hey you wanna join our Counterstrike Clan?
Me: Heck no! screw your clan. you wanna join my clan?? lol

My Freshman roomate was an A-hole. When I'm taking a hot shower, he would come in and rip a big and smelly fart and run away giggling like a little girl.



2nd year: Apartment:
Shared a room with a really lazy, dirty, and messy roomate.

Me: Hey, didn't you wear the same shirt for three days in a roll?
my roomate: Don't worry. I sprayed febreze on it.



3rd and 4th years: Fraternity House:
Shared a house with 8 other party animals.

Me: WTF! Who the hell ate my last Hot Pocket?
Silence.....

On my birthdays, i would wake up with a really bad hang over and find the same things happening to me.

Me: Who the heck wrote PENIS on my forehead with a sharpie?!?!😡


5th year: Back to the Apartment

I started to work and can now afford my own room with a walk in closet. I shared an apartment with someone who kept the place clean and asked me before taking my food. The best part was we were both science majors and knew what we were both going though.


My conclusion: If you can afford it, get your own room.
 
Last edited:
Freshmen and Sophomore: lived in my uncle's house with 9 other people!! Terrifying! Lots of conflicts and argument! 🙄. Some of them would take my food without asking me. Washer and dryer were always occupied. I can go on and on...😱

Junior and Senior: transferred to a univeristy and got my own apartment!! Life is heaven!!! 😀

The next four year: will try to keep having my own place...no sharing, no roomates!!! :laugh:
 
my roommate had sex while i was in the room--- nobody can beat a story like that...and its happened more than once apparently, while i was "quietly sleeping" which includes me listening to music to fall asleep to the horrible traffic outside or my roommate "doing it"...i was forced to sleep at multiple friend's places because i was raised in such a traditional family i couldn't take the fact he slept with his gf in the same room as me...just awkward...and the fact that he had sex while i was in the SAME ROOM...messed up my living situation...and I never EVER want to have a roommate EVER again

GET YOUR OWN ROOM-----
Wow...I've had roommates who had sex in the room, but never in my presence. While it's never happened to me, I think I would just sit up in my bed and watch them. My take on this is do not expect me to give up my sleep just because you are crass enough to have sex in my presence. I'm paying for the room as well. Besides, it's free porn! Bring out the popcorn.

I hope they would either
a. Get embarrassed at having an audience or
b. Get the idea that I'm a creepy pervert

Either way, I would hope they would stop it. If not, what the heck. I'd just be the perv I am and enjoy the real life porno. With popcorn.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Wow...I've had roommates who had sex in the room, but never in my presence. While it's never happened to me, I think I would just sit up in my bed and watch them. My take on this is do not expect me to give up my sleep just because you are crass enough to have sex in my presence. I'm paying for the room as well. Besides, it's free porn! Bring out the popcorn.

I hope they would either
a. Get embarrassed at having an audience or
b. Get the idea that I'm a creepy pervert

Either way, I would hope they would stop it. If not, what the heck. I'd just be the perv I am and enjoy the real life porno. With popcorn.

🤣 👍
 
My freshman year, I lived in a two-room unit dorm where two guys would share a room and the rooms opened into a sort of kitchen/dinning room. The guys I lived with were pretty good guys; no major arguments or anything. I think the biggest thing was we ended up (somehow) seeing how high we could pile the trash... and the organic materials started decomposing and leaving a stench in our rooms. The worse was when someone would eat like mashed potatoes and leave the unfinished portion in the sink without rinsing and letting everything pile up on top... At one point, I could no longer see the faucet. : /
 
study at the library, and stop blasting loud music while you study!

but really, you either have to explain your situation to your landlord and hope she understands or find another place to study if it bothers you that much.

if it were me, i'd explain the situation to her, since i pay rent and should be allowed to study in my room. (now if you are dominating her house and studying in the living room or dining room, you should really buy a small desk and study in your room)