Share your most memorable Shadow/Volunteer experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AlphaKY1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I searched for one of these, but the most recent one I found was from 2010. I figured this would be a great way to share any stories that really inspired you.

Members don't see this ad.

I had the opportunity to work in the transplant program at a big pediatric center when I was in college. I had the chance to see some transplants including a couple of heart transplants. They were absolutely incredible procedures. Even though I didn't understand much of what was going on, those were probably the coolest things I've had the opportunity to be involved with (even compared to medical school experiences).

Reactions: 1 users
I read books to patients. One of the patients had requested a reader, so I went up to her room and read for her then just talked about life. She was a nice old lady. When I came back the next day, the nurses told me that she had "expired" last night. It was really sad, but it also felt gratifying knowing that you were there and did something for someone hours before they left.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm concerned about how people who post will be identified by adcoms that frequent sdn. :(

I had the opportunity to work in the transplant program at a big pediatric center when I was in college. I had the chance to see some transplants including a couple of heart transplants. They were absolutely incredible procedures. Even though I didn't understand much of what was going on, those were probably the coolest things I've had the opportunity to be involved with (even compared to medical school experiences).
That's awesome! How long does a transplant take? Did this by chance influence the residency you will be applying for, I saw you are an MS4.

I spend the night at a homeless shelter every week. During the day, the homeless are at another facility where they are registered and allocated to one of the different shelter sites. Long story short, one day, the whole police department rushed the facility looking for one of the guys because he killed 2 people

That's awesome! How long does a transplant take? Did this by chance influence the residency you will be applying for, I saw you are an MS4.

It was at least a 9-10 hour procedure. I came in around 11p or so and left around 7a the next morning. They were more or less done by that point. Didn't have any influence on what I'll be going into, but it was cool nonetheless.

Since I had your typical "pre-med hospital volunteering" experience where I was treated like garbage, the bad definitely outweighed the good by a long shot.

Thus, my most memorable experience was...

Once upon a time, in a suburban hospital I was the only pre-med volunteer on the floor. I noticed that one of the techs that liked to treat me like crap was going a little overboard asking me to clean more and more rooms every time he saw me. So two minutes before the end of my shift, he came up to me and told me I needed to clean three rooms. And with the biggest grin on my face I said, "It's time to go. Have fun!" And I walked right out that door. :D

Sadly my most memorable times of volunteering were mostly walking out the door. I think that's the case for a lot of pre-meds unfortunately. I think it's great when pre-meds find meaningful experiences and are able to enjoy the moments that have so far been listed. But as it is, far too many are getting treated like crap, and find leaving the site more meaningful than actually being there. :(

Reactions: 4 users
Since I had your typical "pre-med hospital volunteering" experience where I was treated like garbage, the bad definitely outweighed the good by a long shot.

Thus, my most memorable experience was...

Once upon a time, in a suburban hospital I was the only pre-med volunteer on the floor. I noticed that one of the techs that liked to treat me like crap was going a little overboard asking me to clean more and more rooms every time he saw me. So two minutes before the end of my shift, he came up to me and told me I needed to clean three rooms. And with the biggest grin on my face I said, "It's time to go. Have fun!" And I walked right out that door. :D

Sadly my most memorable times of volunteering were mostly walking out the door. I think that's the case for a lot of pre-meds unfortunately. I think it's great when pre-meds find meaningful experiences and are able to enjoy the moments that have so far been listed. But as it is, far too many are getting treated like crap, and find leaving the site more meaningful than actually being there. :(
I'm so sorry to hear that. It seems a little wrong to have pre-meds do someone else's paid work.

I think the patients we meet make it memorable rather than the tasks we are assigned to do.

For instance, I got to meet a lot of war veterans! Had a lot of snappy conversations and gossiped about the VA healthcare system.

Reactions: 1 user
Saw a lung cancer diagnosis in real time when shadowing a radiologist

The ophthalmologist I shadowed started his first surgery in the morning by playing a classic rock station on the radio and singing with the anesthesiologist, nurses, techs in the OR as his version of a pre-game pep talk.

Reactions: 1 user
  1. Helping a resident catheterize and drain the abdominal cavity of a patient with ascites from hep C. Five 1L evacuated bottles later, and her abdomen was no longer distended. This was the resident's first time doing the procedure, so it was awesome to see the learning process in real time and see first-hand how new physicians learn from and interact with attendings.
  2. While on shift (not just basic ED volunteering), seeing someone I knew arrive at the resuscitation room having been 30+ minutes out MI with chest compressions and tube placement. They died in front of me, and everyone just went on with their day, only to reflect later--geez, I'm still reflecting over 1 year later!
  3. Hangin' out with the ED patient regulars. It never gets old!

I once carried an arm to pathology.

Another time I carried what was essentially someone's entire sacrum with 3 lumbar vertebral bodies thrown in for good measure. The x-ray for that was pretty crazy.

Oh, this was after watching the above procedures in the OR. They're just a few of a long list of notables.

C-section. A little grey blob being pulled out of a hugely distended uterus, going immediately to wailing and being rushed over to a little glass basket where they checked her out.

My face : ^-^ The father's face the whole time: O_O

I met a few Amish families while volunteering at a hospital. It's amazing how there are multigenerational white families that don't know how to a speak a bit of english. It's also pretty cool seeing the contrast between the 19th century way of dressing and Nikes on the same person

Not really inspirational, but definitely memorable. The physician I was shadowing a few months ago saw a patient with a hernia about the size of a small watermelon. They let me touch and I could feel and even SEE the peristalsis going on in the intestines. FREAKIN' SWEET

I'm concerned about how people who post will be identified by adcoms that frequent sdn. :(

Has anyone actually been identified by an adcom on sdn? It seems far fetched. Just curious.

Has anyone actually been identified by an adcom on sdn? It seems far fetched. Just curious.

It isn't uncommon. Depending upon the information provided by the applicant and the context it isn't difficult to identify people. For example, I was easily identifiable strictly by my undergrad institution and numbers.

Many schools monitor their school-specific threads. I know at my institution information germane to applicants is occasionally passed along to me to post in the thread if there are recurring concerns or something unusual going on.