Share your PS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medical22

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Would anyone like to put up their personal statement and/or vision statement?

Members don't see this ad.

Uh... no thanks.

are you serious? i'll pass on that too. :D

i'm guessing you're stressing out about what to write and what approach to take. there really isn't any cause for worry. there is no set form for the personal statement--you can literally write about whatever you want, and approach it from whatever angle you feel like. the only thing you should be sure to mention is why you want to be a doctor. other than that, you can talk about anything. it's a good place to talk about any clinical experiences, explain any drastic academic problems, etc, etc--but none of this is *required*. there are plenty of websites and books that list sample personal statements.

as for the vision statement, as this is the first year AMCAS is requiring it, there is no precedent in regard to what medical schools might be looking for. i actually thought this was even easier to write than my personal statement, because all this essay is asking for is for you to describe your life a decade from now. no one is expecting you to have a concrete sense of what you'll be doing!! just talk about what areas of medicine interest you, etc, etc.

put some thought into what you write, but don't lose any sleep over it!

Members don't see this ad :)
I know most people don't like to share these personal type of things, but I will.

Personal Statement:

I want to make lots and lots of money, and I want a job people will envy.

Practice vision:

I want to make lots and lots of money, and I want a job people will envy.

Enjoy. ;)

* On a more serious note, Sandflea gave some great advice. :D

I was just about to email you both of mine anonymously, but I thought better of it at the last second. The consequences to both of us if we apply to the same schools and you plagiarize me are more of a risk than I'm willing to take.

However, I will point you toward some sample PS's online whose authors successfully got into medical school. Try medschool.com and follow the link to "student community" or whatever, then to the personal statement archive. Good luck.

Smoke This is right.... there is a significant risk for plagiarism.... I don't think anyone will be sharing their PS....

Check out www.accepted.com or use any search engines to search for personal statement samples.... Good luck....

You obviously don't have too much of a drive to go to medical school or self esteem for that matter if you can't even compose two stupid essays about yourself (didn't mean to make this sound degrading but I was just a little pissed to see that question thrown out).

Would anyone like to sell their soul to me?

I figured since we are on the topic of ludicrous questions.

cm,I'll sell it to you in exchange for acceptance to med school :D

talk about rip on medical22! although i'd feel weird about posting something so personal on this message board, it's not unreasonable for medical22 to want to get an idea as to how other people are writing their essays. I seriously doubt he's going to plagiarize anyone's essays, but i guess it's a risk that has to be looked out for.

medical--I would recommend that you look at some of those websites that were recommended; also you can try doing a search for "medical admissions essays" or something--there are a lot of websites that can provide you with some writing tips and sample essays. all and all, writing your essays are really scary, but you really have to just be yourself and be original. I started by just writing random stuff about myself that i wanted adcoms to know and then thought about the structure after that. goodluck!

Thank you very much nashtrash!
I never expected replies like the ones that were posted. Students are making a joke out of the question and acting childish. I have already written my essays but do not feel confident enough that it's written how adcoms want it to be because it's more of an essay than a story. So all I wanted was to get an idea of the style of writing by reading other applican't essays. I just wanted to see if most of them have written it like a story rather than an essay. And I would never even think of plagiarizing. Using someone else's ideas would not make it a 'personal' statement.

Some people need to grow up and start acting like adults!!

medical22, I hope I'm not lumped in the "acting childish" category. I mean no offense to you, of course, but I stand by my original reasoning. There are at least several others here who feel the same way about plagiarism, so it's not entirely unfounded.

Why don't you check out the sites Popoy and I listed, and follow the suggestions of others to search for more PS's. Personally, I think that there is no single correct way to write a PS; either format you mentioned I think would work. Me, I started by telling a story of a pretty cool athletic achievement (took about 1/4 of the PS), then segued into talking about my work ethic by arguing that both athletics and scholastic achievement take the same qualities (perseverance, etc.). I then talked about the selection of my major and worked into describing a leadership role that I thought was significant, then described one of my volunteer experiences, then used that as a springboard into a paragraph about why I want to practice medicine. My conclusion came back to the athletic thing to tie it together. I feel like a real jerk for not fixing you up with my essays, but I hope that I've helped you at least a little bit.

Do people actually plagarize personal statements? Mine included/referred to a bunch of stuff that was in my post-secondary section as well as my school, grades, research, etc. How could you plagarize that stuff? Or better, why?

Originally posted by Barton:
•Do people actually plagarize personal statements? Mine included/referred to a bunch of stuff that was in my post-secondary section as well as my school, grades, research, etc. How could you plagarize that stuff? Or better, why?•

It's possible to plagarize the format and content of other PS.... plagarizm isn't copying verbatum....