Shattered

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Angel_Eyes

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is quite possibly the worst day of my life (academically speaking). To know that all the hard work that I've put in for the past 4 years is all for nothing. There is no way that I will ever be able to do what I thought I was meant to do, at least not now.

I caved and got my MCAT scores online. I got a 17M (6V, 5P, 6 B)....goes well with my SAT's and my ACT's but it isn't even close to my academic record. It is so depressing that schools will take a day of testing over 4 years of hard work. I am at a loss. I already submitted amcas and filed all my secondaries....all the schools were waiting on were my scores, and now they have them.

Is there a light at the end of this tunnel? Well...I have an interview with my state school. And by the looks of these scores they interview everybody. My question is...if I kick a#@ at my interview how likely are they to keep me if my MCAT is that low? God, I didn't even get a 20. I know I did bad but I had no idea I did that bad. And the sad thing about it is...the rest of my application is FANTASTIC. Great LOR's, tons of diverse volunteer work dispite being a college athlete, a 3.7 GPA (3.57 science) and a part time job. I know that MCAT and GPA aren't everything the adcoms look at but really...a 17? That is rejection material and I just have to face it. I really had some hope...but not anymore. I don't even know how to tell my family or my fiance. They all believed in me so much. I feel like I let them down. My fiance has put off going back to school to work so that I can graduate and go to med school. How can I tell him that all of his hard work and sacrifice has come to this?

I can't afford to go through this process again anytime soon. I just don't know what to do.

Will any school look past those scores and give me a chance?? Is it possible that they will compare my past performance on similar tests?

Don't be afraid to be harsh...nothing could be worse than the amount of money I had to spend during this process, and the heartache that I felt when I saw the results. I just needed to vent. :( :(

Members don't see this ad.

hey if this makes u feel better, by the way im from phoenix and applying to U of A, trust me they take the strangest range of applicants ever. I have actually met someoen who got in ther with a 16.. college athlete, i hear they look upon that quite highly cause they know thetime commitment of one. They are known for defintly not being a numbers school at all. Kick butt on your two interivews, and yes they give them to everyone, and u have a good chance. I have heard many low 20s and under get in there, as well as mid 30 mcats not getin.. it is one ofthe most unpredictable schools i have seen yet. i had hte interivew there, it wwent great, everyone is super freindly.. good luck and hey if need be take it again in april and reaplly. one year is nothing. i keep tellign myself this same advice so i dont get too down! good luck and cheer up!

hey angel eyes...

what happened blows...thinking about what you did to practice for the exam...what were the things you didn't do that made you do so badly.

I guess the point is that if i was in your shoes i'd be crying too. But you shouldn't give up because you'll always wonder in the future. You seem to have a good support network and trust me that even though they may feel bad for you...they will support you all the way from what i'm hearing.

good support network, solid everything else, the only thing is the mcat...so if you have to take it again...take it next april. you have plenty of time.

take care and wish for the best i guess...

stoner

Members don't see this ad :)
I feel for you. This is probably obvious, but maybe you should try to figure out why you did so poorly.

1. Were you feeling well health wise?
2. Was there anything going on in your personal life?
3. Was the testing environment ok?
4. Did you have all the classes you needed before the MCAT?
5. How much did you honestly study for it?
6. Did you think before you took it that you would do fine so that maybe you didn't study and prepare as well as you needed to?
7. Did you get freaked out by the verbal and was unable to get your head cleared for the rest of the test?
8. Was there a subject that gave you the most trouble and the fear of the subject freaked you out for the whole test?
9. Did you take lots of practice tests with and without timing them?
10. Did you take any all day tests like you had to on the day of the MCAT?
11. Did you study from any test company books or did you rely on your own text books and class notes?

these are some of the questions that come to mind. Answer as honestly as you can.

Chin up. Is it possible for you to prepare for the April MCAT? We are all here for you.
Amy B

{{angel_eyes}}

listen, i think that you have a very mature and real outlook on this . that being said, i think that you should just see what happens this year. you could withdraw your apps and/or cancel checks (i'm not sure how that second option would reflect if you didn't simultaneously withdraw). if i were you and there was no way to get my money back, i would just try to pray for the best and not get too frustrated by this application cycle (you said yourself that those scores are most likely not getting you into med school). good luck with your state school and we're rooting for you with whatever you end up doing.

Originally posted by Angel_Eyes
This is quite possibly the worst day of my life (academically speaking). To know that all the hard work that I've put in for the past 4 years is all for nothing. There is no way that I will ever be able to do what I thought I was meant to do, at least not now.

I caved and got my MCAT scores online. I got a 17M (6V, 5P, 6 B)....goes well with my SAT's and my ACT's but it isn't even close to my academic record. It is so depressing that schools will take a day of testing over 4 years of hard work. I am at a loss. I already submitted amcas and filed all my secondaries....all the schools were waiting on were my scores, and now they have them.

Is there a light at the end of this tunnel? Well...I have an interview with my state school. And by the looks of these scores they interview everybody. My question is...if I kick a#@ at my interview how likely are they to keep me if my MCAT is that low? God, I didn't even get a 20. I know I did bad but I had no idea I did that bad. And the sad thing about it is...the rest of my application is FANTASTIC. Great LOR's, tons of diverse volunteer work dispite being a college athlete, a 3.7 GPA (3.57 science) and a part time job. I know that MCAT and GPA aren't everything the adcoms look at but really...a 17? That is rejection material and I just have to face it. I really had some hope...but not anymore. I don't even know how to tell my family or my fiance. They all believed in me so much. I feel like I let them down. My fiance has put off going back to school to work so that I can graduate and go to med school. How can I tell him that all of his hard work and sacrifice has come to this?

I can't afford to go through this process again anytime soon. I just don't know what to do.

Will any school look past those scores and give me a chance?? Is it possible that they will compare my past performance on similar tests?

Don't be afraid to be harsh...nothing could be worse than the amount of money I had to spend during this process, and the heartache that I felt when I saw the results. I just needed to vent. :( :(

I can only imagine how frustrated you are. You may want to say at the interview that you simply choked on the MCAT and that you are willing to retake it and reapply if it comes to that. If you did well on other standardized tests and went to a good undergraduate school, then the school may accept/waitlist or look forward to receiving your application the next application year. After all, at Northwestern's HPME program, for instance, they accept based on college boards.

Another thing... If you can't afford applying to medical school again next year, how are you going to pay tuition?

Best of luck to you.

Angel-Eyes-
In the grand scheme of things this will just be a blip on your radar. I won't lie to you and say a 17 is an ok score because it's a bit low but I also won't say you don't have a chance, especially if you have an interview already. At the interview do your best!! Forget your MCAT and go in there and tear that interview apart. If you can impress the interviewer enough, and esp if it's a closed file interview, you have a chance to get in. It can't be said enough that numbers are not everything in this process! Sure, there are plenty of people with 3.9 and 40 MCATs that get their pick of medical schools but there are also those with the same numbers that are quite disappointed when they don't get into the "top-tier" schools. It takes more to be a doctor than MCATs, GPAs, classes and ECs. Many people on SDN perceive acceptance into medical school as a formula, ie. I do these ECs, get this GPA, achieve these MCATs and then i'm in! It doesn't work that way and that's a big reason they have interviews. It seems like you have a passion to practice medicine and i think if you make a concerted effort to make this come across in your interview and stand out among everyone else, you have a chance to get in. Don't sell yourself short just yet. Think about what makes you unique, concentrate on your strengths and not your weaknesses when you present yourself. A doctor i shadowed several summers ago told me the biggest thing he learned as a physician was the need to focus on what he could do for his patients rather than dwell on what is wrong with them or what he had no control over. I think it's the same case with you. I think you need to concentrate on what the positive things are you in application and don't allow the negatives, ie your mcat, to restrict how you come across to the admissions committee. This is not to say that you not plan to retake the MCATs but if there is nothing you can do about it now, work with what you got and you never know, there have definitely been people who have gained acceptances before with lower MCAT scores...if you wanna chat, my IM is dukeblue02..good luck

Originally posted by surfdevl02
Angel-Eyes-
In the grand scheme of things this will just be a blip on your radar. I won't lie to you and say a 17 is an ok score because it's a bit low but I also won't say you don't have a chance, especially if you have an interview already. At the interview do your best!! Forget your MCAT and go in there and tear that interview apart. If you can impress the interviewer enough, and esp if it's a closed file interview, you have a chance to get in. It can't be said enough that numbers are not everything in this process! Sure, there are plenty of people with 3.9 and 40 MCATs that get their pick of medical schools but there are also those with the same numbers that are quite disappointed when they don't get into the "top-tier" schools. It takes more to be a doctor than MCATs, GPAs, classes and ECs. Many people on SDN perceive acceptance into medical school as a formula, ie. I do these ECs, get this GPA, achieve these MCATs and then i'm in! It doesn't work that way and that's a big reason they have interviews. It seems like you have a passion to practice medicine and i think if you make a concerted effort to make this come across in your interview and stand out among everyone else, you have a chance to get in. Don't sell yourself short just yet. Think about what makes you unique, concentrate on your strengths and not your weaknesses when you present yourself. A doctor i shadowed several summers ago told me the biggest thing he learned as a physician was the need to focus on what he could do for his patients rather than dwell on what is wrong with them or what he had no control over. I think it's the same case with you. I think you need to concentrate on what the positive things are you in application and don't allow the negatives, ie your mcat, to restrict how you come across to the admissions committee. This is not to say that you not plan to retake the MCATs but if there is nothing you can do about it now, work with what you got and you never know, there have definitely been people who have gained acceptances before with lower MCAT scores...if you wanna chat, my IM is dukeblue02..good luck

The world needs more people like you

:clap: :clap:

Thank you for your kind words Kovox.

Originally posted by neuromd03
If you can't afford applying to medical school again next year, how are you going to pay tuition?

I doubt that many of us are going to actually "pay" for our med school tuition right out of pocket...I for sure am not. There are tons of loans out there for med school, plus limited grants and scholarships. Application fees, however, must come out of pocket (unless one gets a fee waiver, which can be difficult to qualify for). Trust me, I could not afford to go through the application process again, but I WILL be in med school next year.

Good luck to you, Angel_Eyes. Somehow you'll end up where you are meant to be :)

I know its upsetting and painful and it feels as all hope is lost at this point...

But it's not!

Here's what I would do if I were in your shoes, worried about the cost. I'd go ahead and retake the MCAT next spring, applying all of your energy and time to studying smart (plenty of practice tests and passages).

Assuming you don't get in this year, with those new, higher scores, reapply to the U of A - reapplicants made up 47% of their class last year - I personally know several who stuck with it, improved upon an aspect of their application, and the U of A took notice that they had the dedication and committment to try, try again.

Only reapply to the U of A, if that's all you can afford. A close friend of mine did that - spent just $150 on her AMCAS. She's now an MS-1.

I thank my lucky stars every day we as AZ residents have the option of such a caring, student-centered and compassionate institution to frame our life's passion.

I know from your posts you have a positive, sunny outlook on life - that will win over the world in your favor, in the end!

Originally posted by SouthernGirl
I doubt that many of us are going to actually "pay" for our med school tuition right out of pocket...I for sure am not. There are tons of loans out there for med school, plus limited grants and scholarships. Application fees, however, must come out of pocket (unless one gets a fee waiver, which can be difficult to qualify for).

It was a rhetorical question just to put some perspective on the small cost of applying. Hell, I had to pay over $400 to take USMLE Step 2 and another $700 for applying to residencies. I also have to figure out a way to pay for airfare to LA and lodging in St. Louis, Cleveland, SoCal, Fresno, Oakland, Ann Arbor, Minneapolis, Iowa City, and Milwaukee, all the places where I'm interviewing.

Angel,

I'm really sorry about your score. Perhaps in your interview you could stress that you are just not good at taking standardized tests. However, your low SAT/ACT scores did not predict your excellent performance in college, so you wouldn't expect your MCAT to predict how well you'll do in med school.

Also, are you dead-set on a domestic MD? Or would you also consider DO and/or an MD in the carribean, like at St. George's?

Keep us posted.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by surfdevl02
Angel-Eyes-

I can't believe I'm agreeing with a dookie ;), but surfdevl gave you some excellent advice. Numbers are important, but I'll be the last one to tell you numbers are everything. Concentrate on the good parts of your application and do your best this year. I would also work on figuring out why standardized tests are a challenge for you, and do everything you can to improve your test-taking ability. You could keep costs down next year by applying EDP to your state school. If you don't get in this year, talk to someone in the admissions office about what you can do to increase your chances. Best of luck to you, and keep us posted.

Angel_Eyes,

Keep your head up sweety. If it is meant to be 17 or 37 you will make it.

I am thinking of options for you. Are you a URM? PM if you'd like.

Hi Angel-Eyes... I feel for you, first time I took the MCAT I got a 5 and this time when I studied SO HARD gave up my whole summer I got a 7. I was so upset.... you're still young I'm sure, so just redo it next April its only 6 months away... the MCAT dosn't measure your intelligence... just how well you work under extreme pressure.... first time I did it I got 25 second time 27, youalways go up... so go for it again :oops:)

much love to you...:love: and believe me if this is your worst day, thats not such a bad thing, trust me Angel...

wishing you luck in the future:love:

My little sis is going through a similar situation now. Its tough for her since she has a great GPA but her MCAT score is low.

Hey, hang in there. I had a low score on the MCAT the first time I took it but I was persistent and got my score up to a very competitive one. I did not apply until after I graduated college while I enrolled into a masters program. I performed very impressively in the masters program and my application has become very strong as a result.

I would suggest that you assess what you may have done in order to prepare for the MCAT and see what you could do differently. Maybe you should try using different prep materials, maybe take a prep course like PR or Kaplan. Maybe you need to commit more time to practicing with the materials provided by the AAMC.

Since it is most likely that you may not get into med school this application cycle, you might want to start planning what you could do next year as you reapply. Since I did it and it helped, I would suggest that you do a one year Masters program thats out there. I did mine at Barry University in Miami Shores, FL. It was a good program that is accelerated and allows you to complete a Maters of Science in Biomedical Science in one year. The classes you take are the classes offered to first year med students like Gross Anatomy, Biochemistry, Histology, Physiology, etc. This way you get to show the adcoms at med schools that you can handle med school classes and excel in them. If you want more info on this program, PM me and I'll hook you up.

Hang in there and just know that you will be a doctor no matter what. :)

I want to thank you all so much for all of your support. I am so glad I found this site, we have such a wonderful support system here.

Well, it was a rough night last night and while he tries so hard...my fiancee was no comfort. I don't think anyone could be. But I thank God that I have him. I know that there is nothing I can do about the numbers now...I can only work with what I have.

I am looking forward to my interview... and I just hope that I come across as pushing the best points of my application and not as if I am making excuses. Any advice on how to do that (or what not to do) would be great.

THANKS AGAIN TO ALL OF YOU!! You have no idea how great it was to see all of the support when I logged on this morning.

Thank you. :)

it's not the end of the world :( on 10/4 i checked my scores. i was a bit relieved b/c i knew they could have been really bad. they weren't all that bad, but they weren't anything to write home about either. the next day i went to the nicu to volunteer and there was a new baby born 10/4 with down syndrome... it suddenly made the mcat seem so trivial.

i think it's really important to consider how you did it practice. did you take practice tests? were you scoring a lot higher? if you didn't take them then your scores aren't that bad. the mcat is like no other test i've taken before, and some people just aren't naturally good at it. it takes a lot of practice and getting used to the types of questions they will ask.

good luck on your interview!

I took two short practice tests (to asses my study guideline) and 1 "real deal" long one. My summer was FULL...My softball team just got back from the regional tournament, I went right into summer o-chem and I had a full time job.

Here is what I did:

I reviewed my physics formulas(made sure I understood the concepts rather than just the formulas)....looked over o-chem (because it was still fresh) and general chem, and reviewed biology. I know that isn't nearly enough studying...but that is all the time that I had and I put every last second of free time into it. I guess you could say I studied for about two months with other stuff interupting now and then.

My score does reflect how I studied but I don't understand how I did so terrible. I know the things I was tested over...I really did! I know I should have taken more practice tests and gotten used to seeing those types of questions.

I can't afford to take a Kaplan course and I wouldn't have time to anyway. I am taking close to 17 hours in the spring and really doubt that I will be able to devote any time to MCAT studying while I am trying to graduate. (May 2003)

I PM'ed you Solid Gold for info about the Master's Program and I have also considered going to graduate school in Micro. I am not giving up! That test will not be the end of me...though it can pack a pretty bad punch.

hey angel eyes,
i'm sorry to hear about what happened:( . I'm actually going through a very similar situaction as you (good gpa, low mcat). Except this was my second time taking the mcat and still couldn't pull it off. Haven't heard from any schools yet...But must keep hope alive. Do an awesome job at your interview. I'll pray for you :)

Don't convince yourself that just because one test went bad that you are screwed forever. On the same token, don't take it lightly ---> use it as a way of motivation for the next time, put the time in and destroy the MCAT. Now that the last one is over, that is all you can do. Remember what people on these boards say, because they know a lot more than the average person, and they give good advice.

As for it's "meant to be", be careful with that advice, because seemingly is ISN'T after this episode. The great thing is that you CAN make it "be", and that will ultimately have to do with your faith in total. Belief in a higher power, yourself, and what you believe is truth will all continually lead you to the outcome you desire, making this one little test a MINOR setback. Everything will come together when you decide that you want to be a doctor for sure.

Now sure, there are many who become doctors without recognizing the aforementioned, but they aren't the quality ones, just false material foolz. I wish you the best. Deny yourself and love others.

Gumshoe

As if the scores aren't bad enough...

It's my birthday on thursday! :(

Some b-day present. Remind me to send amcas / mcat a GREAT BIG THANK- YOU NOTE!!

Write one sentence notes on small pieces of paper (such as Post-It notes or thereabouts) with messages such as "How badly do I want to be a doctor?" and put them places you will see when you first wake up. Granted it won't help your MCAT scores, but testing is only part of the battle. When you are accepted, you will need to keep your spirit high. Ask the folks on the Allopathic board. It's normal to stress over one test, one grade, etc., but what it boils down to is how badly you want it. Someone has said anyone can be a doctor if they want it. Seems like you do.

remember that you are that 10% of pre-med that retains that title after the first o-chem exam (or so I've heard). Yeah, there's a good chance you won't get in this year. There's also a good chance that you will be better prepared for the next test. Keeping your spirits high enough to push on is what seperates the doctors from the goons that sit here all day debating religion and politics on the "Everything" forum :D

If all else fails, though, might I suggest applying to Haawvaawd, coloring your teeth yellow, and joining a secret society? :laugh:

;)

hang in there..we are all rooting for you :)