Mar 5, 2014
Status
Medical Student
What all associations are we supposed to know regarding SHBG? as in FA has a small section on it on pg 321 in endo, but im not sure what all we're suppose to know about it. I'm assuming more than just whats written there.

Reactions: MudPhud20XX
OP
A
Mar 5, 2014
Status
Medical Student
okay thanks, and an offshoot of that question, what about serotnonin receptors? theres many different kinds as everyone knows, but what is step 1 relevant. ie 5-htb, a 5-ht2 etc.

OP
A
Mar 5, 2014
Status
Medical Student
i remembering seeing a quesiton about in UW regarding Buspirone i believe. But myabe it didnt ask what receptor it was working on, guess not then. THanks.

MudPhud20XX

5+ Year Member
Nov 26, 2013
Status
Medical Student
What all associations are we supposed to know regarding SHBG? as in FA has a small section on it on pg 321 in endo, but im not sure what all we're suppose to know about it. I'm assuming more than just whats written there.
I just heard this from DIT. So in PCOS, increased insulin decreases the expression go SHBG, thus contributing to increased adrogen that leads to the symptoms of hyperandrogensim.

Reactions: TheNsg300
May 27, 2015
Status
Resident [Any Field]
okay thanks, and an offshoot of that question, what about serotnonin receptors? theres many different kinds as everyone knows, but what is step 1 relevant. ie 5-htb, a 5-ht2 etc.
Just know the sites of Buspirone, Ondansetron, Triptans. Better if you know 2nd messenger system as well.
Know the fact that SHBG and Thyroid BG increase during pregrancy or with OCP or with increased estrogen state.