Step I Why increased SHBG in Cirrhosis?

Started by tarsuc
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

tarsuc

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Isnt the liver damaged?

I read somewhere it is due to the increased estrogen levels in blood which cause increased SHBG (sex hormone binding globulin) synthesis?

But can a damaged liver produce shbg?

Anyone?
 
Isnt the liver damaged?

I read somewhere it is due to the increased estrogen levels in blood which cause increased SHBG (sex hormone binding globulin) synthesis?

But can a damaged liver produce shbg?

Anyone?

Per Wikipedia:
Conditions associated with high or low levels

SHBG levels are decreased by androgens, anabolic steroids,[6] polycystic ovary syndrome, hypothyroidism, diabetes, obesity, Cushing's syndrome, and acromegaly.

SHBG levels increase with estrogenic states (oral contraceptives), pregnancy, hyperthyroidism, cirrhosis, anorexia nervosa, and certain drugs. Long-term calorie restriction of more than 50 percent increases SHBG, while lowering free and total testosterone and estradiol. DHEA-S, which lacks affinity for SHBG, is not affected by calorie restriction.[7]

That doesn't really make too much sense to me either.
 
In both males and females, SHBG is synthesized in the liver, but for males it is also synthesized in the Sertoli cells. When there is liver cirrhosis, the estrogen can't be metabolized and builds up. Estrogen induces SHBG synthesis, and because of the liver's inability to do so, the Sertoli cells take over. I also had this question in the past and that is the best explanation I could come up with.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad