Shelf exams

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

swdave

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do the DO programs have these?

They are exams done after each core rotation.

An MD friend of mine just "donated" some study books to me and I'm wondering if the ambulatory style rotations include such shelf exams.

Dave

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Dave,
DMU has NBOME "shelf exams" for physiology and pharmacology for your first year.
I think what you are referring to are the standardized tests that students take at the end of each rotation during the 3rd and 4th year. At this point, the AOA has NO testing standards other than COMLEX Part II during your third and forth year. DMU is working on implementing this type of testing that may begin with DO class of 2004. Guess we'll have to wait and see.

Where could one get copies of old shelf exams for extra study?

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok,

I'm assuming by the lack of posts that there aren't any "post rotation" exams at other schools either.

I'm going to speak with the folks at MSUCOM this week and see if that's something they implement. I'm thinking they might since the word I hear is that since the 1st 2 years are pass/fail, they rely on grades in years 3 and 4 to determine any class rankings. This would seem highly subjective if it's based on review forms the rotation staffer fill out.

Do people hear think that shelf exams are a good idea? I think they would be since you are applying your clinical experiences to the testing arena which would prepare us for boards. I'm not into getting tested to death but if it prepares me better for boards then I say "Lay it on me".

Let me know your thoughts.

Dave

It is my understanding that KCOM has an exam after each rotation in the 3rd year and then an exam at the end of the 3rd year that is both a written and a practical (OSCE) type exam.

I know the exams take place but I have not made it a priority to know more about them until after I go on rotations.

TCOM takes the NBME shelf exams after each rotation (why not the osteopathic, I don't know). The score is bumped up a bit to average it out for each class then it counts 15% of our overall grade in that rotation. It is supposed to stratify our grades within the class but I don't think it makes much difference. It usually results in lowering everyone's grade 1-2 points.

AZCOM has post rotational exams (3rd year) after each rotation except for FP, OB/Gyn or Peds. The reason for this is that there are a total of 3 (3-4 week) rotations in family practice, one of which includes OMM and you will take one exam after the completion of the 3 rotations. If you elect to take 2 rotations in either peds or ob/gyn then you may test after the second rotation. We also have comprehensive testing at the end of 3rd year (includes all rotations and lectures for 3rd year). In the 4th year we have exams only for our core rotations in EM, IM, neurology and critical care. Though these exams are scored, our clinical rotations are pass/fail unlike our basic science year.

Hello Ted, I ams starting at AZCOM this fall. Rotations are several years away, but are you saying that all of them are scored only as pass fail? 3rd and 4th year too? Wouldn't that make it more difficult to be evaluated when applying for residencies? Fill me in, please.

Hi

I think things may be changing around for your class as far as the basic science years but we used to get numerical grades, I believe this may be changing to letter grades but don't quote me on that. You will find out what your class ranking is at the end of your second year. We have tried to come up with a way to at least get an honors, pass, fail during the clinical years but the Clinical Ed department wants to make sure it is as objective as possible (which to me is impossible unless you use the post rotational exam scores). The way the evaluations are written there is an area for comments, if your comments are favorable, you can have these excerpted and used in your Dean's Letter (if you use ERAS for the allopathic match) and Clinical Ed. could use that same format for you and send a letter of recommendation. They are encouraging us to ask our preceptors/hospital program directors to write letters of recommendation shortly before we leave the rotation (you will need these any way for residency apps).
If your class and the current second year class can come up with a way to get it changed, the administration does listen but it has to be (in their opinion) something they can implement. Good luck in school. ted. (PS any other questions, feel free to post. Hmmm wonder how much work radiology will be?) :cool: