Underperformed on surgery shelf, red flag?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

spes93

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Prior to surgery took 4 comats, 85+%ile on all, Honors with IM at 94%ile and OB 97, and HP with peds at 85 and P with Psych at 87.

I got a boiler plate eval but 6/7 for surgery, and as for the shelf comquest predicted me at 98th%ile and Amboss around 90th, but I got 67th and am very disappointed with a P when I was on track for H. I think I was overconfident and went too quickly on test.

I'm worried because surgery is 8 credits (as is IM, the rest are 4 credits).

I am wondering if the inconsistency is a red flag? I am going to apply radiology and am wondering how much this score will impact my application?

Btw:
Step 1 260, level 1 699
1 first author pub (RSNA case collection) so far, may get other pubs in near future
5 research experiences
I think around 70th%ile class rank
Lot of work and volunteering from college but not much volunteering in med school
No leadership, some tutoring
Likely will get good LORs (have 2 in mind currently)
Personal statement will be meaningful

Did i lose any ground especially for more competitive spots???

Thanks for reading!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Nah, you’re fine. I honored less than half of my third year rotations and the rest were pass because my school has no high pass and they make it difficult to get honors. My step 1 is lower than yours and I did not have much research. I got enough rads interviews that I feel confident about matching this year.

Just focus on crafting your story and standing out. I feel like people who PDs thought sounded interesting did better than their peers in rads this year, but we will see when the charting outcomes comes out.

Reactions: 1 user
Nah, you’re fine. I honored less than half of my third year rotations and the rest were pass because my school has no high pass and they make it difficult to get honors. My step 1 is lower than yours and I did not have much research. I got enough rads interviews that I feel confident about matching this year.

Just focus on crafting your story and standing out. I feel like people who PDs thought sounded interesting did better than their peers in rads this year, but we will see when the charting outcomes comes out.
Thanks, best of luck tomorrow and this week!