Shelf exams?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tiedyeddog

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am not even close to third year, so maybe this question seems dumb to some people. Why is step 1 emphasized so much in comparison to shelf exams? All schools basically require the same core rotations and most (all? I have no idea) of those rotations have a shelf.

Why doesn't the LCME require shelf exams to count for the same percentage of each rotation and make that standardized at every school? Isn't that more objective than allowing each school to determine what each rotation grade could be made of? That would then make clinical performance more standardized. Also, wouldn't that be a better indicator of performance in residency than step 1?

Members don't see this ad.

I believe part of your application packet includes what you made on each shelf exam, and at least one PD has told me that they care about each individual shelf grade. I guess it's to cut out the school effect like you mention.

At my school the shelf grade usually counts for 40-50% of your rotation grade. Honors is pretty hard to come by :(

I am not even close to third year, so maybe this question seems dumb to some people. Why is step 1 emphasized so much in comparison to shelf exams? All schools basically require the same core rotations and most (all? I have no idea) of those rotations have a shelf.

Why doesn't the LCME require shelf exams to count for the same percentage of each rotation and make that standardized at every school? Isn't that more objective than allowing each school to determine what each rotation grade could be made of? That would then make clinical performance more standardized. Also, wouldn't that be a better indicator of performance in residency than step 1?

From my experience, the step 1 is very important for your success in medical school. So study hard!

Members don't see this ad :)

Step 1 is still king but 3rd year performance is the next most important thing so the shelf exams still matter a lot especially at the schools that have high minimum scores required for honors.

Step 1 is still king but 3rd year performance is the next most important thing so the shelf exams still matter a lot especially at the schools that have high minimum scores required for honors.

I just don't get why the same minimum scores aren't used at every school?

The shelf exams give you a breakdown in where you scored in relation to everyone else in the nation who took that self, right? But students at schools that emphasize the shelf less probably score lower because of lower incentive (just a guess?)

Second question: So, since PD's look at individual shelf scores, should I really focus on those no matter what percent my school factors the shelf into the rotation grade???

Yes you should focus on it, regardless. Your application will state not only what you got on a rotation, but what % of students got pass vs. honors vs. whatever. So PD's can do the math. Medical schools are similar, but not standardized. The rotation experience is not standardized, though you could make the argument it should be.