Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
With lawsuits being such a huge issue, why dont more physicians play games with ownership and incorporation?
Ie, When I do your knee surgery (or whatever), I am contracting with you, not as BlackSails MD, but as BlackSailsOrthopedics. When you sue me, you can only get what BlackSailsOrthopedics has, which would be basically nothing. (I lease my equipment from BlackSailsMedicalSupplies, and my office is owned by BlackSailsRealEstate.) For added security you can have all these companies owned by your wife, or a trust, etc.
Now, I know lawyers can still penetrate the corporate veil, but if your companies and assets are owned by someone else, such as your wife, or a trust, is there any way that lawyers could get something out of the doctor pinata?
Ie, When I do your knee surgery (or whatever), I am contracting with you, not as BlackSails MD, but as BlackSailsOrthopedics. When you sue me, you can only get what BlackSailsOrthopedics has, which would be basically nothing. (I lease my equipment from BlackSailsMedicalSupplies, and my office is owned by BlackSailsRealEstate.) For added security you can have all these companies owned by your wife, or a trust, etc.
Now, I know lawyers can still penetrate the corporate veil, but if your companies and assets are owned by someone else, such as your wife, or a trust, is there any way that lawyers could get something out of the doctor pinata?