Shelter medicine- vet related or not?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

onisteverina

c/o 2018
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, so I have a question about categorizing experiences. I have seen people list shelter experience under both vet related and animal related experience, so I wanted to get some opinions.

I volunteered at an animal shelter in the triage department in the medical center (I did spend one day in the spay/neuter clinic). I did a lot of cleaning, but also helped techs triage new animals being brought in, gave vaccines, administered meds and fluids, medicated paths for patients with ringworm, etc etc... some tech kind of stuff. All of this was under the supervision of a tech.. there was a vet either in the surgery center or doing rounds, but there were only a couple times that I came in actual contact with the vet. This was several years ago, and with the nature of shelter medicine and how many volunteers went through that place I don't think any of the vets would remember me, but there are a couple techs that would.

So, with that info.. would you list this under vet related or animal related..

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys, so I have a question about categorizing experiences. I have seen people list shelter experience under both vet related and animal related experience, so I wanted to get some opinions.

I volunteered at an animal shelter in the triage department in the medical center (I did spend one day in the spay/neuter clinic). I did a lot of cleaning, but also helped techs triage new animals being brought in, gave vaccines, administered meds and fluids, medicated paths for patients with ringworm, etc etc... some tech kind of stuff. All of this was under the supervision of a tech.. there was a vet either in the surgery center or doing rounds, but there were only a couple times that I came in actual contact with the vet. This was several years ago, and with the nature of shelter medicine and how many volunteers went through that place I don't think any of the vets would remember me, but there are a couple techs that would.

So, with that info.. would you list this under vet related or animal related..

I would definitely list this as veterinary experience. Animal experience would include things like walking dogs or socializing kitties.

I have a similar experience. I volunteered at a community animal hospital run by the humane society in my city. All the volunteers help out with recovery, mostly after spay/neuter surgeries, for the shelter and community animals. We were supervised by whichever tech was assigned to the recovery table that day, and did vaccines, reversal injections, meds for ear mites, gave fluids, etc. When I apply next year I am planning on counting it as veterinary experience even though the vets were usually in the surgery room, because it is still work of a medical type being done in a medical setting. And the vets are still the ones in charge of how things are being done (in my case the vet doing the surgeries was also the medical director), so it is still supervised by a medical professional.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sounds great! Thank you for your responses. I have also decided to list it under vet related. :)