Vet schools with strong avian medicine programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

honeybadger_

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! I'll be applying to this upcoming cycle, and I am really interested in pursuing avian medicine (exotic birds and/or wildlife). I know at the end of the day I wil get similar experiences at most schools, but are there any vet schools that have more avian opportunities? Thank you!!

Members don't see this ad.

We have a raptor rehabilitation program here at Mizzou. We see raptors/birds of prey that are sick or injured that are found/good samaritans call in. It's a separate area within our teaching hospital. Goal is to treat and rehabilitate so the bird can be released back into the wild. You can get involved with the program as a VM1 and learn to handle the birds and do basic treatments. If you remain in the program, when you are a VM4 you will be the primary on cases.

As far as didactic classes your first 2 years there is a reptile/avian unit built into the end of large animal anatomy as a VM1, there is a lab animal medicine class you will take as a VM2. These are what I know of but raptor rehab is definitely a highlight!

We have a raptor rehabilitation program here at Mizzou. We see raptors/birds of prey that are sick or injured that are found/good samaritans call in. It's a separate area within our teaching hospital. Goal is to treat and rehabilitate so the bird can be released back into the wild. You can get involved with the program as a VM1 and learn to handle the birds and do basic treatments. If you remain in the program, when you are a VM4 you will be the primary on cases.

As far as didactic classes your first 2 years there is a reptile/avian unit built into the end of large animal anatomy as a VM1, there is a lab animal medicine class you will take as a VM2. These are what I know of but raptor rehab is definitely a highlight!
added bonus is that Missouri is extremely reasonable price for OOS students. the biggest hurdle when specializing isn't your vet school, it's being financially in the right position to pursue exotic and wildlife opportunities post-graduation.

Members don't see this ad :)
Agreeing to this as an OOS student, and ability to gain IS residency by year 2 is 💯!

So many schools have raptor programs now, including Illinois, Minnesota, Auburn, etc. You can Google "vet school raptor program and probably get a ton of info that way. However, keep in mind wildlife avian medicine will have limited work opportunities.

Likewise, you'll want to look into companion avian medicine, which all the same schools should have programs for.

Even schools without a formal avian or raptor program may see lots of birds. UF takes in a lot of wildlife like hawks and tortoises. It’s not a formal rehab program but we used to see tons of raptor blood in the path lab for injured hawks.