Program-Specific Info / Q's Shenandoah Acceptances

Discussion in 'Occupational Therapy [ O.T.D ]' started by kngvt, 01.15.14.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. kngvt

kngvt

Rehab Sci Student
    Has anyone who interviewed at Shenandoah on the 13th heard back from them yet? I got the e-mail yesterday that I was accepted, just curious if anyone else has!

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. drm66

drm66 2+ Year Member

Pre-Rehab Sci [General]
    Hey that is great kngvt!
    I went to the 1/13 interview. I haven’t heard anything….They said the majority of the acceptance letters will go out in mid-late February. That’s great you who so early!

4. drm66

drm66 2+ Year Member

Pre-Rehab Sci [General]
    heard* not you

5. iyt3000

iyt3000

Pre-Rehab Sci [General]
    I was there on the 13th. Haven't heard anything yet. kngvt, it's amazing you got such a quick response. Congrats! Do you think you will end up going to SU?

6. kngvt

kngvt

Rehab Sci Student
    Thanks! It was one of my top choices. The faculty seems great, the students I talked to enjoy the program and said the hybrid model actually works really well, so it seems like it may be my best option. I haven't sent in my deposit yet but I will most likely be attending in the fall!

Good luck to everyone I hope you hear soon!

7. jangell621

jangell621

DPT / OTD
    I was at that interview day as well and was accepted on Tuesday! It is not my top choice school but I havent heard back from any other schools yet, so as of now its the only school I have been accepted to! Which campus were you accepted to?

8. kngvt

kngvt

Rehab Sci Student
    I think since it is so early, both campuses are an option, I got accepted to both. I think I am going to accept at the Winchester campus. It's a little further of a drive but I think having the year 2 students as mentors would be really beneficial. Where were you accepted?

9. jangell621

jangell621

DPT / OTD
    I was accepted to the Leesburg campus! Which I'm really excited about because I'm from Chicago so it would be nice for me to be closer to DC and other bigger areas, I'm not one for living in small towns or more rural areas. And I also think that the campus there will have a little better technology and opportunities since it will be brand new.

c2902 likes this.
  10. kngvt

kngvt

Rehab Sci Student
    I thought about that too! I haven't decided for sure yet, I'd like to see the new campus but I'm not sure if the OT facility is finished yet. Let me know if you end up accepting!

11. OT12192

OT12192

Pre-Rehab Sci [General]
    Hi guys! I know this is way after the fact but I was also accepted the day after the interview on 1/13! I assume you all got an email, but did you get anything in the mail yet in regards to accepting the offer? I haven't gotten anything and just wanna make sure I didn't miss something!

12. jangell621

jangell621

DPT / OTD
    I have not recieved anything in the mail yet, but was told it would be here shortly after I got accepted on the 14th. So i was a little worried as well, im glad to hear im not the only one who hasnt gotten it yet. She said we have a month from the date of the letter, so I want to get the letter soon so I know how much time I have to decide! What campus did you get accepted to?! Will you be accepting, or are you still waiting on other schools?

13. OT12192

OT12192

Pre-Rehab Sci [General]
    I got into the Winchester campus! Maybe they're just going to send ours out when they send everyones after the 2nd round of interviews and all decisions are made, which is kind of good that way there is some more time to get more acceptances in, but I'm just waiting on one school and if I don't get in there then Shenandoah it will be!

14. jangell621

jangell621

DPT / OTD
    Let me know when you recieve the letter and I'll do the same, so we know when to expect it!

15. kngvt

kngvt

Rehab Sci Student
    I received my letter last week sometime! I forget which day exactly, but I know the letter was dated January 31st. It just asks you to send your response back with a deposit

16. Aem822

Aem822

Anyone else hear back from shenandoah, anyone from the February interviews?

17. jellybean90

jellybean90

Pre-Rehab Sci [General]
    I haven't heard anything from them about an interview or the status of my application. I had contacted the admissions coordinator and I never got a response. Do you know if there was a February interview?

18. iyt3000

iyt3000

Pre-Rehab Sci [General]
    I still haven't heard anything. They did say it could be late February before we do get any decisions. Does anybody know why their board pass rate for first time test-takers dropped to 62% in 2010?

19. drm66

drm66 2+ Year Member

Pre-Rehab Sci [General]
    Hey i am not completely certain with Shenandoah….but

from a few other schools I heard the NBCOT format was changed at one point. Students had to change how they were studying for the test/and the teachers had to change how they were testing the students. If you see a lull in some schools for 1 year…that might be the reason.

20. iyt3000

iyt3000

Pre-Rehab Sci [General]

Good point. According to an article from Advance Heathcare Network "Passing the New NBCOT Exam," by Rita Fleming-Castaldy, the exam was changed in January of 2009. It states, "for the first 1,100 first-time test takers (new graduates), the passing average fell to 73.7 percent, with a failure rate of 26.3 percent..."

Url for the article is below:

http://occupational-therapy.advanceweb.com/archives/article-archives/passing-the-new-nbcot-exam.aspx

21. iyt3000

iyt3000

Pre-Rehab Sci [General]
    I received an email this morning saying I am on the alternate list.

22. drm66

drm66 2+ Year Member

Pre-Rehab Sci [General]
    same!

23. OTLady529

OTLady529

Other Health Professions Student
    Me too! I'm confused because I was never invited to an interview? Is there an interview at Leesburg but not Winchester?

24. OTFall2014

OTFall2014

I had an interview with Shenandoah on February 3rd and was accepted. Students that applied to the Leesburg and the Winchester campus were both there interviewing. I have not decided which school I will attend but am leaning toward Shenandoah because I like the hybrid curriculum. Those who haven't heard back, hang in there!

25. jellybean90

jellybean90

Pre-Rehab Sci [General]
    I got waitlisted as well. I'm curious how many students are actually on the waitlist and why only some applicants were interviewed and others were not. I'm a bit bummed on what's going on

26. kngvt

kngvt

Rehab Sci Student
    Have you decided whether or not you are attending Shenandoah? I sent my deposit in already so I definitely am!

c2902 likes this.
  27. OTFall2014

OTFall2014

Yes! We will be classmates. I'll message you on this forum.

28. Aem822

Aem822

I was originally wait listed and received notification today that I was accepted!

29. kngvt

kngvt

Rehab Sci Student
    Congratulations! Which campus will you be attending?

30. Aem822

Aem822

I will be attending the Leesburg campus.

31. rach528

rach528

Pre-Rehab Sci [General]
    I recently applied to Shenandoah's OT program for Fall 2015. For those who are current students, how do you like it so far?

32. sb0106

sb0106

Rehab Sci Student
    I was just accepted! I never had an interview though.. .?

33. rach528

rach528

Pre-Rehab Sci [General]
    I spoke with someone and they said they don't interview top candidates! I got accepted, as well.

34. sb0106

sb0106

Rehab Sci Student
    Awesome, congrats! Are you planning on attending?

35. rach528

rach528

Pre-Rehab Sci [General]
    Thank you!! You too :) it's my second choice. I am still waiting to hear back from Chatham. Shenandoah has a nice program, but Chatham is a lot cheaper and only 25 minutes from where I live. So I think attending there would be best for me. But if I don't get accepted I will be attending Shenandoah in Winchester!

36. sb0106

sb0106

Rehab Sci Student
    I was accepted to the Northern Virginia campus. Have you gotten your packet in the mail yet?

37. rach528

rach528

Pre-Rehab Sci [General]
    Oh okay! No I haven't. I got an email on Thursday telling me I was accepted and needed to designate which campus I will attend and then they said I'd get a letter in the mail.

38. sb0106

sb0106

Rehab Sci Student
    Ohhh gotchya, so how come you picked winchester?

39. rach528

rach528

Pre-Rehab Sci [General]

There's no specific reason really. Winchester seems like a cute little town and the rent is a lot cheaper. Also, the Northern Virginia campus isn't accredited yet. Although I'm sure it will be soon!

sb0106 likes this.
  40. sb0106

sb0106

Rehab Sci Student
    Do you know when you hear back from Chatham?

41. rach528

rach528

Pre-Rehab Sci [General]
    I had my interview November 15, and they said we would hear back within 3 weeks. I am hoping I will hear back tomorrow or Tuesday since they will be on break for Thanksgiving the rest of the week, but who knows! I'm tired of waiting lol

42. sb0106

sb0106

Rehab Sci Student
    Plus it would be nice to hear back before you have to put a deposit down on Shenandoah!

43. c2902

c2902 2+ Year Member

Occupational Therapist
    I'm an MSOT student at SU (I'm a Year 2 student, so I am at Winchester), and I see no reason to worry about the NoVA campus, as it's all the same faculty, department director, etc. Program and curriculum is the same; they will probably just hire some new faculty to staff only that campus from now on, as they are able. I wouldn't consider their "candidate" status as a deterrent, as it's merely an off-shoot of another accredited program that's been around since the '90s. Winchester is cute, but there's not a lot out there, though it is cheaper. I live in towards DC (have been there fore a decade), and I wish the Leesburg campus had opened a year earlier! It's right along a major Route, with tons of stuff around, but yes, it's more expensive to live east of the mountains.

sb0106 likes this.
  44. sb0106

sb0106

Rehab Sci Student
    That's exactly why I am not worried about it not being accredited yet. I am also worried about the cost of living in Leesburg.. was just checking out apartments. Nothing under $1000, eek!

45. rach528

rach528

Pre-Rehab Sci [General]
    Exactly! I want to hear back asap from Chatham so I can make a decision.

46. rach528

rach528

Pre-Rehab Sci [General]
    How do you like the program?!

47. KEot

KEot

Occupational Therapy Student
    how did you guys find out about Shenandoah? email?

48. rach528

rach528

Pre-Rehab Sci [General]
    Email and phone call!

49. sb0106

sb0106

Rehab Sci Student
    Yeah, email then phone call!

50. sb0106

sb0106

Rehab Sci Student
    Have you visited the campus? I have to plan a visit down there sometime in the next month or two.

51. rach528

rach528

Pre-Rehab Sci [General]
    No not yet. I'm still completing my undergraduate degree, so I'm in school full time. If I don't get into Chatham I will probably visit over my Christmas break! Are you going to attend?

About the ads