Shenandoah C/O 2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jasonargos

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Now we've got a central thread to discuss everything for students starting this Fall. Housing, Loans, Roommates, Paperwork, and whatever else comes up.
I'll amend this post as people add information regarding housing.

Let's all introduce ourselves. Where are you from? Looking for a roommate? Undergrad school/degree?

I'm coming from Florida, looking for a roommate or two to split an apartment or, even better, a townhouse/house for rent that we'll have to find. I hear the housing market opens up in May/June so I'm shooting to find a place around then and sign to move in late June-early July. Just graduated from USF in Tampa, Fl with a B.S. in Biomedical Sciences, the generic pre-health degree everyone there gets.

Congratulations to all who are accepted and good luck to everyone waiting on an interview.

Most of this is from previous Shenandoah threads and just searching online. I can't answer questions about any of the places, but hopefully someone who is a current student, or lives nearby can.

Your best bet is to call about prices and questions. I sent off some emails that never received replies. If you find anything out about one of these places, or a new place, do add it to the thread and I'll update this post.

Pemberton and Stuart Hill. Right next to each other and many students live at these two places.

Pemberton is 540-678-4100

Stuart Hill Apartments 540-542-1940

Peppertree, some students say it is a cheaper option but the area/building reflects that. 540-667-5167

Shenandoah's Site for Off-Campus Housing

Autumn Wind Apartments 866-516-0685

Preston Place Apartments, 540-662-2292

Rental Properties Monthly Good resource for rental information

Winchester Rentals Blank right now, but might be useful towards summer.

Pagebrooke Developments- Lists several apartments/complexes with spaces for rent.

Feel free to add/correct anything you find out.

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats to all who got accepted!
I am from Orlando, Florida myself and I am also interested in finding a roomate as well. I think I would probably prefer to have just 1 roomate with similar interests in apt complex by the school, but I am pretty flexible. Do you guys know for sure which campus are you going to be at, because they haven't told me anything about that so far.
Well, I guess, welcome to the "family" everyone!!! :laugh:

I've been in for a while, but waited until I had seen my three higher picks before I ultimately decided that Shenandoah was actually the best of all four. I hope everyone else liked it as much as I did.

I'm from Columbia, Missouri, am about to graduate with a BA in Biology, am 26 years old and have a wife of three years. We are visiting Winchester in April to get some things nailed down. We are kind of iffy about housing, but are leaning towards buying a lot and dropping a double-wide. Anything has to be better than $1300/month.

Congrats to all who are coming with me to Winchester. I'm looking forward to meeting you!

Kyle

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm currently living in Dallas, TX and i'm pretty nervous about leaving and going so far from here. I'll probably be making another trip up early this summer to look into an apt but I'm considering a roommate so any females need one let me know

So are any of you planning on working while going to school??? I've had a job since the age of 15 and i'm kinda stressing about the financial situation. Not having an income is freaking me out! I've already applied for financial aid, so i guess we'll see how that works out :/ Man, I'm really gonna miss mexican food...

I hope to have a job, but only one or two shifts a week depending on how it goes with school and studying. Work during the summers too.

Why would you have to miss mexican food? Granted there won't be as many places as there probably are in texas, but I'd be surprised if there wasn't somewhere with decent food of any type in the area. It's a small town, but it's not an island!

I'll be coming from Fort Worth, TX and I know what you mean about missing mexican food elr0019. I'm not sure about the campus situation, but I'm also a female considering a roommate. I look forward to meeting everyone!

I'll be coming from Fort Worth, TX and I know what you mean about missing mexican food elr0019. I'm not sure about the campus situation, but I'm also a female considering a roommate. I look forward to meeting everyone!

Oh wow, that's pretty cool you're coming from Fort Worth. When are you planning on moving up or visiting next? I was thinking about going up in May or June to look at some places to live. If you decide to go the roommate route, let me know and maybe we can exchange emails or something.

I'm looking at building a house and a carriage house. I'm hoping to rent out 2 bedroom 2 bath with a 2 car garage for the totally separate carriage house. It likely won't be built until late July.

hey guys, i just got my acceptance email last thursday!! IHaven't gotten more info about anything except the email saying im accepted, but yea, i should get it soon

hey guys, i just got my acceptance email last thursday!! I am also looking for a roommate to share an apt near campus. Haven't gotten more info about anything except the email saying im accepted, but yea, if anyone's interested in living with a 22 year old guy from California pm me...haha

Hey congratulations!

Congrats to everyone that got in! I'm also looking for a roommate. I'm 21 and from west virginia. i'm looking for another guy to room with who has similar interests like sports (big soccer fan) and complaining about how hard classes are...you know the usual college guy stuff. anybody interested PM me.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have also been accepted to Shenandoah University, and will be subscribed to this thread. I don't know what my housing situation will be, but I will actively begin looking for housing after I graduate this semester.
I guess I will put it out right now in case anyone wants to contact me. I will be looking to get a 2 bedroom, 2 bathroom (condo/apartment) with a male roommate. Must be clean and organized, and no smoking and preferably no alcohol. Specific, but my ideal candidate. Let me know if you fit the criteria and want to exchange further information.
Congrats to all, and I will see all of you August 18 (or is it 15?). Also, in case anyone is wondering about the laptops they will be IBM thinkpad (unless something has changed within the past year).

Bump for adding the housing information I forgot to do earlier.

Also, has everyone joined the facebook group for our class?

just wanted to let everyone know that I will be attending also. I am 26 and obviuosly from michigan. I will be looking for a place to stay in late july, hopefully, for my wife and I. If anyone knows of any decent and cheap palces let me know. see you soon.

Is there any fun things to do for the students?

I recently was accepted as well. I am from Michigan, and looking for a roommate who is relatively clean and a non-smoker. Preferably looking for a girl roommate, but I would consider living with a guy as well. Let me know if you are interested.

I am also looking for a female roommate for this coming school year. A non-smoker who likes to study for the most part. Hahaha. :D Please contact me if interested.

I just got my financial aid paperwork today, as they mailed it to my previous address and well, my old roommate was an idiot about forwarding things to me. What range for cost of living is everyone coming up with?

It depends on how many ppl i will live with...seems like 2 bedroom, 2 bath places are around $800-1000, but i havent looked alot; did u guys get those mass emails from Elayne today...haha seems like 3-4 ppl in a house would be best...like i said it all depends on who wants to live with me...haha

Anyone interested? PM if you are...thanks

ok speaking of financial aid, I submitted my FAFSA well over a month ago and got my acknowledgement report from them and everything, but haven't heard anything about rewards from the school yet. Anyone else have this issue or have any feedback? I know this process can take awhile but I'm thinking about giving them a call...

Do call. I got a big packet of financial aid info from them over a month ago, so I would imagine that everyone else should have gotten it too. Returned it last week, waiting on more paperwork back from them for the Grad Plus loans, I think...

Do call. I got a big packet of financial aid info from them over a month ago, so I would imagine that everyone else should have gotten it too. Returned it last week, waiting on more paperwork back from them for the Grad Plus loans, I think...

I called them last week, and they said they have my FAFSA and that they haven't sent my packet yet....I called today, and left a msg, and no one called me back...

I guess I have to call again tomorrow...Does everyone get the same amount for loans?

I called them last week, and they said they have my FAFSA and that they haven't sent my packet yet....I called today, and left a msg, and no one called me back...

I guess I have to call again tomorrow...Does everyone get the same amount for loans?

Ok, well I called today and they also had all my info and the lady told me that they'll be sending out a whole other group of packets within the next 2 weeks so it could come pretty soon. As long as they have your stuff with no problems I wouldn't worry. It's just a waiting game now... As far as the amount you get, I think it varies from person to person depending on your financial situation/income etc. I'm pretty sure that most of us will have at least our tuition covered.

Regarding the loan amount: Depending on your FASFA, most students should get the full amount of stafford loans, subsidized and unsubsidized. That came to a total of 33k a year, I believe, but I don't have the papers in front of me. Tuition came to something like 26 or 27k a year.

What's recommended is to take out a Grad PLUS loan for the rest of the money you will need to cover your cost of living. Shenandoah apparently does not estimate your cost of living, they just ask you to submit a number on the Grad PLUS form and they approve it, I guess. I was told by the financial aid office to do a budget and decide my own cost of living. So to answer your question about how much we're awarded in loans: The full amount for stafford, which barely covers tuition, and then you can take out pretty much whatever you want in Grad PLUS loans. There's a limit, but it's something so high I didn't bother remembering it.

While on the topic, I'm curious to see if our award amounts will change in the next month or so. Supposedly they're expecting a new bill to be signed in the next couple of weeks that would raise how much we get in stafford loans.

What's up guys, just got off the alternate list and I'm ready to go.

Some basic info on me:

21 years old, Wayne State University, Detroit, English major

I have no idea what's going on with living arrangements and things of that nature. I wouldn't mind a roommate so if you're looking for one then send me a message with the information on the place.

Just graduated from USF in Tampa, Fl with a B.S. in Biomedical Sciences, the generic pre-health degree everyone there gets.

Pemberton and Stuart Hill. Right next to each other and many students live at these two places.

Pemberton is 540-678-4100

Stuart Hill Apartments 540-542-1940

Peppertree, some students say it is a cheaper option but the area/building reflects that. 540-667-5167

Shenandoah's Site for Off-Campus Housing

Autumn Wind Apartments 866-516-0685

Preston Place Apartments, 540-662-2292

Rental Properties Monthly Good resource for rental information

Winchester Rentals Blank right now, but might be useful towards summer.

Pagebrooke Developments- Lists several apartments/complexes with spaces for rent.

Feel free to add/correct anything you find out.

I came from the Tampa Bay area and went to USF, too, for the same degree. ;) Welcome, and congrats!

Another nice apartment complex you might want to look into is Summerfield Apartments. http://www.melval.com/summerfield.htm

Also, www.winchesterstar.com has a classified section which has independent apartments and townhouses for rent.

Funny how many people from florida end up at Shenandoah. Care to share any opinions on the housing up there? Where do people love and hate this year? I can't wait to head up there, probably first weekend in june to have a look around and decide where to live.

Perlita's is the most authentic place here. Don't even waste your time at the other places. :) As far as chains go, we are getting a Chipotle this summer.

Congrats on getting in!

Awesome. I'll have to try it out. Hey Chipotle will work too. Had that today actually :)

A question for current Shenandoah students:

Are there any banks close to the school? If so, what are their names? Thanks for any feedback.

A question for current Shenandoah students:

Are there any banks close to the school? If so, what are their names? Thanks for any feedback.

I saw Wachovia and BB&T near the school.

Hey guys...quick question, what is the dress code during school? Professional, casual? I hope its not professional...lol

Hey guys...quick question, what is the dress code during school? Professional, casual? I hope its not professional...lol

The dress code on most days during school is just every day casual wear, meaning don't come looking like you're still clubbing from the night before or like you just rolled out of bed. There will be days that you'll have to dress professionally, but every school has that.

You're at a point in your education where dressing professionally shouldn't be an issue.

Hey guys, can you please help me decide between two of my last choices... I can't decide.. so they are both in Virginia. UACP is an accelerated 3 yr program (Candidate status, aka, same as full status)

Shenandoah is really well known, and it ends up closer to my home...(that is not a real deciding factor of course)... but it's a regular 4 yr with full status. Both schools seem really good.. anyone have any suggestions or any advice on which one to go for?!? Does one school focus more on a particular side of pharm or have better residency programs or help regarding that stuff after graduation ...also, which school in general is considered to have a better overall pharmacy education and experience and worth the money and loans... haha tuition is approximately the same... UACP slightly higher tuition rate... also, NAPLEX rates for the two schools ??

Thank you soo much guys...all ur input and help will truly be appreciated. Please help me decide... :/

can anyone please help me decide b/w a 3 yr and a 4 yr?! pleaseeeee!! thanks

Hey guys, can you please help me decide between two of my last choices... I can't decide.. so they are both in Virginia. UACP is an accelerated 3 yr program (Candidate status, aka, same as full status)

Shenandoah is really well known, and it ends up closer to my home...(that is not a real deciding factor of course)... but it's a regular 4 yr with full status. Both schools seem really good.. anyone have any suggestions or any advice on which one to go for?!? Does one school focus more on a particular side of pharm or have better residency programs or help regarding that stuff after graduation ...also, which school in general is considered to have a better overall pharmacy education and experience and worth the money and loans... haha tuition is approximately the same... UACP slightly higher tuition rate... also, NAPLEX rates for the two schools ??

Thank you soo much guys...all ur input and help will truly be appreciated. Please help me decide... :/

I'm currently on the UACP alternate list. I think 3 year programs will be hard, but you get out a year earlier. Plus it's block scheduling, so one class at a time may be easier than 6-7 classes for 4 months. Your question about the NAPLEX rates will be easy to answer. Shenandoah beats UACP only because nobody yet has taken the NAPLEX for UACP lol. (their first class just graduated May 17th)

Hey All-
I just found the SDN searching for pharmacy related information. I'll also be attending SU in the fall. :D
Does anyone know how long orientation is? In the acceptance packet, it said orientation was on August 18; is it just one day or the full week?:confused:

Hey guys, I'm looking for a roommate so if anybody has a room and needs someone else to split it with (I am willing to be the second or even third person splitting) then let me know. It's better to get this done earlier so that it doesn't hang over us all summer. My goal is to get settled with roommates by July.

Here is my facebook so you guys know that I'm legit.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=25700095

Hey All-
I just found the SDN searching for pharmacy related information. I'll also be attending SU in the fall. :D
Does anyone know how long orientation is? In the acceptance packet, it said orientation was on August 18; is it just one day or the full week?:confused:

One week. A few hours each day.

Hi everyone,

I have some questions for students who have lived at Stuart Hill apartments.

1) Did you sign a 1-year lease or something different?
2) How would you describe your neighbors?
3) What do you like about Stuart Hill?
4) What can be improved at Stuart Hill?
5) Would you recommend Stuart Hill to new students?

Thank you kindly for any feedback.

Hey All-

Orientation is a week long.

Hi everyone,

I have some questions for students who have lived at Stuart Hill apartments.

1) Did you sign a 1-year lease or something different?
2) How would you describe your neighbors?
3) What do you like about Stuart Hill?
4) What can be improved at Stuart Hill?
5) Would you recommend Stuart Hill to new students?

Thank you kindly for any feedback.

I can't answer most of these since I don't live in Stuart Hill, but many, many students live there and the complex next to SH, which is Pemberton, so you'd always have people you know near you.

Both complexes are nice and relatively new and in a nice part of town.