Shenandoah C/O 2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi everyone,

I have some questions for students who have lived at Stuart Hill apartments.

1) Did you sign a 1-year lease or something different?
2) How would you describe your neighbors?
3) What do you like about Stuart Hill?
4) What can be improved at Stuart Hill?
5) Would you recommend Stuart Hill to new students?

Thank you kindly for any feedback.

I'm gonna be living there next year! I just know its a one-year lease and its one of the nicer apartments in the area. There is a washer & dyer inside which is very nice, especially during the winter time. Pemberton (apartment complex next to it ) has a community washer & dryer out of the apartment which sucks, but I think the rent is slightly cheaper.

Members don't see this ad.

copying my post from our facebook group

Hi Everyone,

I visited Winchester this past weekend to look for housing. I first went to a few local apartment complexes including Peppertree, Pemberton, and Stuart Hill. Stuart Hill was definetly the nicest one out of all of the above (a little pricey but worth it in comparison). I also met with two different realtors while in the area. All of the apartments and houses I saw located downtown are older(over a 100 years). The Faculty at the pharmacy school suggested checking out nearby Stephen's City for housing. I found a couple new townhouses(2 bedroom, 1 & 1/2 bath) that were very nice and only 10 minutes away from the school. These townhouses run between $850 and $1000(with den) for rent. I think that sharing a townhome with another person would be the best bet; It seemed to be a better value than renting an apartment. Please feel free to contact me if you are interested in being roomates or have any questions on what I saw in Winchester and I will try to help.

-Lisa

email: Ldevonickucf(at)aol.com

Check out my gallery for pics of the townhouse that I liked

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi !

For out-of-state students coming to Shenandoah, how will you bring your vehicle to VA?

I'm sure they will sit behind steering wheel, put key in ignition, turn the key, check their mirrors, put their seatbelt on, put it in drive, and drive to Virginia.:laugh:

Hi pharmacist5870!

Are you going to Charleston or Shenandoah? I notice you're only 21 years old. That's incredible! How I wish I were that young again *stumbles out with the aid of a cane*

Hi !

For out-of-state students coming to Shenandoah, how will you bring your vehicle to VA?

I am from California and will be having my car shipped...

It costs a bit more than if i were to drive it myself, which includes gas, plus hotels to stay and my time!..haha

Hi pharmacist5870!

Are you going to Charleston or Shenandoah? I notice you're only 21 years old. That's incredible! How I wish I were that young again *stumbles out with the aid of a cane*

I'm going to Charleston.....

*rofl* you're not that old I would imagine...your legs are still moving since you're using a cane and not a wheelchair! :laugh:

I am from California and will be having my car shipped...

It costs a bit more than if i were to drive it myself, which includes gas, plus hotels to stay and my time!..haha

I'm from Arizona and plan on shipping my car too. What company are you using?

I'm from Arizona and plan on shipping my car too. What company are you using?

i am thinking about auto shippers america....seems legit enough. Some others i was looking at seemed too sketch and had too many mixed reviews. i was almost settled on one, but after looking at reviews, turned me off. what about you?

i am thinking about auto shippers america....seems legit enough. Some others i was looking at seemed too sketch and had too many mixed reviews. i was almost settled on one, but after looking at reviews, turned me off. what about you?

I was thinking about American Pride Autoride. The price isn't too high and they let you pack 100lbs into the trunk. How much does auto shippers allow you to pack?

Before you place any order with a moving company, please check out reviews of that company on google first.

A simple google search of "American Pride Autoride scam" shows the following:

http://www.transportreviews.com/company/american-pride-autoride.asp

http://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/0/262/RipOff0262406.htm

Thx mmafan! Are you planning on shipping your car too? Any companies you want to recommend?

Members don't see this ad :)
I cannot recommend a moving company because I have no experience with any of them. However, movingscam.com has positive reviews for Coast to Coast Auto Transport and Golden Key Express. Both companies provide free quotes on their websites.

I was thinking about American Pride Autoride. The price isn't too high and they let you pack 100lbs into the trunk. How much
does auto shippers allow you to pack?

I am most likely going to be going with Dependable auto movers. It is a decent price compared to alot of others that i have looked at, and the reviews are almost all 5 stars. I think u can pack up to 100 lbs but its at ur own risk....so the only things i would be putting there are my pillows and blankets, stuff thats really light but bulky, and maybe some other really light cheap stuff that no one would want to steal...haha

In preparation for my move to Winchester, I'm wondering about the best cell phone company in the area.
I currently have T-Mobile and live in Northern Virginia. However, on my last trip to Winchester, I have had somewhat spotty coverage travelling to Winchester.
Any suggestions are appreciated. :)

In preparation for my move to Winchester, I'm wondering about the best cell phone company in the area.
I currently have T-Mobile and live in Northern Virginia. However, on my last trip to Winchester, I have had somewhat spotty coverage travelling to Winchester.

I use Sprint and did not have any problems while I was in Winchester for the interview. However, I would not say Sprint is the best. It is notorious for bad customer service.

I have a US Cellular nation wide plan and i have no problems w/ service.

Cingular works well.

(Verizon has no reception in the lower level of the pharmacy building)

Hi !

How are you guys getting from the airport to your new home?

Taxis charge ~$100 to go to Winchester. What are some cheaper alternatives?

Hi !

How are you guys getting from the airport to your new home?

Taxis charge ~$100 to go to Winchester. What are some cheaper alternatives?

Are you over 25? A one-way car rental might be cheaper.

Hi Classmates-
I know it is kind of early to start thinking about what you'll be doing on Saturday, October 18, but I am an active member of the American Diabetes Association and am working on the Planning Committee for Prince William's Step Out to Fight Diabetes walk this year.
So I'd thought I'd reach out to my fellow classmates and see if you'd be interested in forming a team. Apparently a couple of years ago, our pharmacy school sent a couple of big teams. Anyway, if you're interested, let me know. If you want more information go to www.diabetes.org/stepout
Also, if you don't want to walk, you can also volunteer on the day of the walk :)

So, when is everyone moving?

I just made the Ft. Lauderdale to Winchester trip this week (by means of the auto train) and already love the area.

Anyone else already here?

I'll join you in Winchester on Aug 6th. May the next 4 years be pleasant and memorable!

I'll be there around the 12th...see ya guys soon!

anyone know about DMV/insurance stuff for VA? Do we have to get a virginia license plate/ license?

Well, legally speaking, we're supposed to switch over our licenses, get insurance for this state, and get our cars inspected and then registered here. I've yet to talk to any 2nd year+ Pharmacy students to see if any of them did NOT do that, and why/how. I don't imagine that everyone with an out of state plate gets pulled over much, but I suppose you could be ticketed for not having a valid registration/insurance/etc ifyou've been here for more than 30?45? days. Virginia law makes no exception about residency for students, so the whole "I'm just going to school here" argument that some other states let slide wouldn't hold up. Besides it's beautiful here and who wouldn't want to make this their new home? You'll be here at least four years now.

I was wondering what to do myself about the license plates and all that, so I took a look at the VA DMV website to see what they had to say:
Out-of-State Students

If you are enrolled as a full-time student in an accredited school in Virginia and not employed, you may drive in Virginia with a valid out-of-state (or another country) driver's license and valid out-of-state license plates on your vehicle. If you are a full-time student and employed, you are considered a resident of Virginia for the purposes of motor vehicle laws only. This does not necessarily qualify you for in-state tuition rates. Therefore, you must apply for a Virginia driver's license and register your vehicle in Virginia. You must register the vehicle in Virginia even if it is owned by someone else.
https://www.dmv.virginia.gov/webdoc/citizen/drivers/eligibility.asp

I just had my truck registration changed to Texas a year ago and it cost me a few hundred dollars between the title, plates, inspection, license, blah blah blah...so i don't think i'm going to change it for now. Hope this helps!

Excellent find Tiger. I was given some references by family that lives in Virginia about this and actually read a page that pointed out students as still needing to register their cars here and emissions and whatnot. I can't find it now, but your dmv link sure was nice to read. Sorry about the misinformation, I should have looked for my source before passing that around.

Hey did everyone get the email from Elayne?
I was wondering if anyone knows what the meyers briggs testing is?

Anywho...man, I can't believe our summer is almost gone...2-3 weeks before school starts, can't believe we are starting pharm school...haha

The Meyers-Briggs Test is a critical exam that requires written responses to materials we have covered in undergrad, including calculus, physics, microbiology, general and organic chemistry. A 70% is usually necessary to pass this exam.

:laugh: I believe it's just a personality test. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myers-Briggs_Type_Indicator

I head to Winchester tomorrow afternoon to sign my lease. This summer has definitely flown by.
Since I live only an hour and some change away, I won't be officially moving in until orientation gets closer though. See everyone soon!:D

Why do people think there isn't Mexican food in Winchester? :confused: :D We have like 42 Mexican restaurants here!:eek: The Rancho is really good and has awesome margaritas and they're like $2. And Chipotle is sooooooooooo yummerz! :hardy:Like hello!

Congrats on getting in :) See you in a few weeks... :D

The Rancho is really good and has awesome margaritas and they're like $2. And Chipotle is sooooooooooo yummerz! :hardy:Like hello!

Blasphemy. :) The Rancho is crap imo, and I can't speak for their margaritas, because the 2 times in the last 3 years I've been there, their liquor license had been suspended. :rolleyes:

And Chipotle is okay, but to me it's just a more expensive version of Toxic Hell, er...I mean, Taco Bell.

I say for good Mexican food, go to Perlitas on Weems. :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Is there anyone near Stuart Hill who want to shoot marbles and play crickets?? :love:

Hi!

Do you guys have any advice on where to buy a reliable rice cooker? I've checked Walmart and Costco near Jubal Early and Pleasant Valley (lovely name), but they seemed to carry only 1 brand. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Hi!

Do you guys have any advice on where to buy a reliable rice cooker? I've checked Walmart and Costco near Jubal Early and Pleasant Valley (lovely name), but they seemed to carry only 1 brand. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

At the closet Asian market, Grandmart. Its 40 mins away. Or you can ebay :D

greetings,

is there a hair salon that you could recommend? i just got butchered by a local barber shop... *cries*

Unrelated to pharmacy...

I recommend you all apply for the Global Citizenship Project that you've been getting e-mails about lately from main campus. There are usually ~6 or so people from the pharmacy school that get selected, and it's a great way to go out of the country for ~10 days with very little personal expenses. I went last year and am so glad I did.

If you have any questions about GCP, just PM me. :)

Congratulations to all who have been accepted. I applied back in July and I have not heard anything yet. Is it better to contact the school frequently or just wait. I saw where SU has begun some interviews.

Any help is appreciated..

I got called for an interview... Thanks....

Last edited:
Some questions for current students as I try to figure out my future as a pharmacy student:

1) Ashburn vs. Winchester.
Obviously most P1's are attending in Winchester. The person who led us around and gave us a tour of the Ashburn facility seemed to rag on the Winchester campus a lot. Do any of you have any insight on some more Pros/Cons on the two facilities besides the location (bigger city vs. middle of nowhere)?

2) Extracurriculars
Are there/is there time for extracurriculars outside of school? Ie- if i wanted to get an organized afternoon for sports once or twice a week, would that be feasible?

3) Living arrangements
I'm married and will be looking to get into either a house (preferred) or townhome once I get out there. However, I'd like to keep our location pretty close to where most pharm students are living so that spontaneous study sessions and get togethers don't become a chore for me. Do most students live in the same couple of apartment complexes? Assuming so, are there houses close by too or is it all just apartments around there and I'd have to go further away to get into something like that?

4) Video telecommunications
So I saw this in action and thought it was pretty cool, but could definitely see it as a PITA at times as well. What are your guys' thoughts on it? Help/hinderence/indifferent?

Thanks ahead of time for your help and insights.

Some questions for current students as I try to figure out my future as a pharmacy student:

1) Ashburn vs. Winchester.
Obviously most P1's are attending in Winchester. The person who led us around and gave us a tour of the Ashburn facility seemed to rag on the Winchester campus a lot. Do any of you have any insight on some more Pros/Cons on the two facilities besides the location (bigger city vs. middle of nowhere)?

2) Extracurriculars
Are there/is there time for extracurriculars outside of school? Ie- if i wanted to get an organized afternoon for sports once or twice a week, would that be feasible?

3) Living arrangements
I'm married and will be looking to get into either a house (preferred) or townhome once I get out there. However, I'd like to keep our location pretty close to where most pharm students are living so that spontaneous study sessions and get togethers don't become a chore for me. Do most students live in the same couple of apartment complexes? Assuming so, are there houses close by too or is it all just apartments around there and I'd have to go further away to get into something like that?

4) Video telecommunications
So I saw this in action and thought it was pretty cool, but could definitely see it as a PITA at times as well. What are your guys' thoughts on it? Help/hinderence/indifferent?

Thanks ahead of time for your help and insights.

The bad thing about ashburn is that you are far away from the rest of your classmates. It will definitely be harder once you switch from ashburn to winchester after your first year since everyone already makes their friends/cliques.

As for extracurriculars, there is definitely time. A bunch of us hang out every week, we play basketball and soccer and some of us play tennis. Also, we just made a P1 intramural soccer team and we have a full roster. So there is definitely time to play sports and do other things. Honestly, I play a crap load of video games everyday too...lol

For housing: Most students live in Stuart-Hill and Pemberton, but I live in a townhouse with 3 other P1s. Winchester is fairly small, and I can get to anyone within 5-10mins.

The video conferencing is cool, but i find it harder to concentrate because the professor is not actually there. You get powerpoint presentations before the lectures are given so it is easier to go along in the lecture.

Any questions just PM me, and congrats on getting in!