Sheradan and NAPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lee123

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are any attendings familiar with these two companies and what happens to the physicians who stay onboard after a transition? Specifically, do they whittle away salaries and benefits over time, or do these stay constant over the course of several years?

Members don't see this ad.

Never, ever work for an AMC if you have a choice.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are any attendings familiar with these two companies and what happens to the physicians who stay onboard after a transition? Specifically, do they whittle away salaries and benefits over time, or do these stay constant over the course of several years?

I talked with an AMC recruiter at one point, just in the interest of wanting to see what they'd say about their plans for a site they took over near me. The guy basically said that they'd be moving from 2:1 to 4:1, with MD's still expected to "be there for induction and emergence" (translation: sign for having been there for induction and emergence, thus taking all legal responsibilty for the results of the AMC's insufficient staffing, even though it would be practically impossible to be there for most inductions while running four high-turnover OR's at once). But he also said they'd be making that move slowly. While he didn't specifically say they'd be firing docs along the way, it stands to reason that they would, since 4:1 doesn't use nearly as many.

Salaries and benefits - considering how desperate AMCs usually are for warm bodies, they can't cut pay right now. But I'm sure they will do it if they're able.

Pardon my ignorance, but what does AMC and NAPA stand for?

I work at a NAPA site and honestly have no complaints. None of the negatives that I have read others write about have affected me. Three years in and we are not under-staffed or treated poorly. I've mentioned this in some other posts if you do a search for "napa". I still make more than some of my colleagues at PP gigs, and nothign has gotten worse over time or anything crazy like that. I understand the inherent limitations of working for an AMC, but as I mentioned in other posts, we are treated fairly and paid well at our site. Fell free to flame away.

I work at a NAPA site and honestly have no complaints. None of the negatives that I have read others write about have affected me. Three years in and we are not under-staffed or treated poorly. I've mentioned this in some other posts if you do a search for "napa". I still make more than some of my colleagues at PP gigs, and nothign has gotten worse over time or anything crazy like that. I understand the inherent limitations of working for an AMC, but as I mentioned in other posts, we are treated fairly and paid well at our site. Fell free to flame away.
Do you get paid a straight salary working for NAPA? Is there opportunity to bill and earn more?

The future is an AMC like "NAPA" or a direct employee of the hospital.
This statement is very true and is very disturbing and alarming. The reason why salaries have stagnated and will continue to stagnate is because of management companies

Do you get paid a straight salary working for NAPA? Is there opportunity to bill and earn more?

Straight salary, which is one of the limitations. Luckily I feel that the amount is roughly in line with what I would expect, but I am aware someone is profiting off the top, and if I work or bill more, nothing changes. Moonlighting is an option though. And some other opportunities.

Is it ideal? Probably not every aspect. Is it a good job in my situation? Absolutely. If I had found a real independent PP job that I felt was fair in my area maybe I would have taken it. I just want to give the perspective that an AMC job is not necessarily the nightmare often portrayed on these forums.

Straight salary, which is one of the limitations. Luckily I feel that the amount is roughly in line with what I would expect, but I am aware someone is profiting off the top, and if I work or bill more, nothing changes. Moonlighting is an option though. And some other opportunities.

Is it ideal? Probably not every aspect. Is it a good job in my situation? Absolutely. If I had found a real independent PP job that I felt was fair in my area maybe I would have taken it. I just want to give the perspective that an AMC job is not necessarily the nightmare often portrayed on these forums.
OK. I'm hearing that the average salary is somewhere near $300K. Is that accurate for an AMC job? I think I'd want to end up in PP due to the upside

So what's worst?

Working for AMC making around 300k give or take with 6 weeks vacation?

Or working with private group starting at 270k with 2 year partnership track? (Will group sell out in 2 years).

Either way someone is making money off of you.

So what's worst?

Working for AMC making around 300k give or take with 6 weeks vacation?

Or working with private group starting at 270k with 2 year partnership track? (Will group sell out in 2 years).

Either way someone is making money off of you.

All else being equal I'd go with the partnership track and try to get a share of the sell-out proportional to how far along you are on the partnership track if they sell in the next 2 years. It costs you 20k per year after taxes, but the up side is worth it. The risk being that you may never actually get to be a partner but I would think that groups with 2 year partnership tracks probably tend to actually let you become a partner. If they were in the business of exploiting new grads and firing them before partnership, they'd probably make it a longer partnership track to allow for less churn.