New HCA/NAPA Anesthesia Residency in Austin

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just got a private message from a NAPA anesthesia residnet who wishes to remain anonymous. Their residency primary consists of doing cataracts and preoping for CRNAs. The SRNAs are primarily given all the learning cases. This is absolutely ridiculous and needs to be brought up to the ASA and ACGME. This is piss poor training just for the PE firm to get cheap labor to staff rooms. Anyone have contact for the ACGME? I will email and call them personally. Also would like to complain to NAPA
Is this a joke? So why haven't the residents reported this to the ACGME?

Members don't see this ad.

New CRNA program. Maybe it is just an innocent oversight but there is no mention of anesthesiologists in the description of their role.

“Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetists (CRNAs), registered nurses with specialized training in anesthesia, will be produced by the program. Upon completing the program and successfully passing the nurse anesthesia certification exam, these CRNAs will collaborate with various medical practitioners, including surgeons, dentists, and podiatrists, delivering a range of anesthesia services such as sedation, general and regional anesthesia, and pain management.“

They obviously want these CRNAs to have some independence. But I guarantee they will be taught by us. SMH

This was exactly the arrangement at a group I did some moonlighting with in California 10-15 years ago. I was in the Navy and looking for extra cash and cases to do because the Navy hospital was an extra-slow glorified surgicenter.

Independent-ish CRNAs did their cases, we did ours. The scheduler put the easy stuff with them and the harder stuff with us. It was a community hospital so "hard" meant the patient were wrecks, but the surgeries were rarely complex. Occasionally we'd get a surgeon who said some particular patient or another was sick and needed "MD anesthesia" and the people running the practice would accommodate it.

On the plus side physicians were always doing their own cases and never responsible for CRNAs. The down side is that every sick or troublesome patient went to the physicians and the nurses were just skipping along, fat dumb and happy, talking themselves up as our equal, but never doing anything difficult.

I don't know if you're right and this is the future, or how far out that future is. But it seems plausible to me.
Fat, dumb and happy? I am sorry. I can't stop laughing!!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Just got a private message from a NAPA anesthesia residnet who wishes to remain anonymous. Their residency primary consists of doing cataracts and preoping for CRNAs. The SRNAs are primarily given all the learning cases. This is absolutely ridiculous and needs to be brought up to the ASA and ACGME. This is piss poor training just for the PE firm to get cheap labor to staff rooms. Anyone have contact for the ACGME? I will email and call them personally. Also would like to complain to NAPA
At a certain point CRNAs will just rightly laugh at our training if they don’t dilute theirs. Because come on. How is this person gonna graduate competent and be in charge of CRNAs?
I virtually attended a conference this weekend called Take Medicine Back, a grassroots movement by docs and I was told that HCA now has the highest amount of residents in the nation. Not sure how true this is but this is scary as hell.
Y’all plan to get old in this country?

Reactions: 1 users
At a certain point CRNAs will just rightly laugh at our training if they don’t dilute theirs. Because come on. How is this person gonna graduate competent and be in charge of CRNAs?
I virtually attended a conference this weekend called Take Medicine Back, a grassroots movement by docs and I was told that HCA now has the highest amount of residents in the nation. Not sure how true this is but this is scary as hell.
Y’all plan to get old in this country?
I attended virtually too! It was a great conference!

Ahhh average doc….what about new docs? Feel like there is more going on here. How many years to make that much? If it’s more than 2 years or starting is less than 450 for those two years…not worth it. 2 years at 450 then 600+ after-ok not bad for Austin. I will say that is one of the higher Napa salaries I have heard and not the number that is usually told in Austin but if you say so
When I joined 12 years ago, it was the old school bull**** 2-4 years to partner.
We start full salary day one now with 2 years to full profit sharing which is small relative to base + call salary.
Open market for call trading which is compensated well. Several new docs made more than me last year, but I didn't take any weekends.

starting salaries of over 500k is new for private equity groups if it’s happening. At least in the south. Perhaps they are finally dealing with supply/demand issues.

Other than northeast I’ve never seen Napa pay over 500 without substantial overtime and I know in Austin that was not the case pre Covid. USAP in Austin I know pays substantially under 500 for first 3 years.

But again as you mention if they do pay that much then yes it is better than some private practices…although I still have my doubts about Napa in Austin unless folks are now working 60 hour weeks.
I average ~45 hours per week. Didn't work weekends last year and made 600

• Wow
Reactions: 2 users

Did you work nights ? Home call?
And is that 1099 number ? Or you made 600 plus benefits ?
Just trying to keep things apples to apples

Interesting. Yes that’s obviously changed then from past as you alluded to. Good Has USAP changed in Austin too or do they still abuse you the first 3-4 years?

Same hospital where new residency was approved.

You may have overlooked this or ignored it because you didnt feel comfortable answering, but Ill ask again:

So what is the starting salary?
How about hours per week and call for that salary?
And what is your supervision ratio?

You may have overlooked this or ignored it because you didnt feel comfortable answering, but Ill ask again:

So what is the starting salary?
How about hours per week and call for that salary?
And what is your supervision ratio?
He literally said the hours per week he works.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
He literally said the hours per week he works.
Hours per week he works now. Not when he started.
Also does that hours/week include call?

Here is a thread where I asked him similar questions along with others that he ignored too. Definitely red flags.

“Just got a private message from a NAPA anesthesia residnet who wishes to remain anonymous. Their residency primary consists of doing cataracts and preoping for CRNAs. The SRNAs are primarily given all the learning cases. This is absolutely ridiculous and needs to be brought up to the ASA and ACGME. This is piss poor training just for the PE firm to get cheap labor to staff rooms. Anyone have contact for the ACGME? I will email and call them personally. Also would like to complain to NAPA”

How is this possible? I thought there was a minimum number of cases of each kind they had to do? Like hearts and liver transplants? Blocks, etc?

“Just got a private message from a NAPA anesthesia residnet who wishes to remain anonymous. Their residency primary consists of doing cataracts and preoping for CRNAs. The SRNAs are primarily given all the learning cases. This is absolutely ridiculous and needs to be brought up to the ASA and ACGME. This is piss poor training just for the PE firm to get cheap labor to staff rooms. Anyone have contact for the ACGME? I will email and call them personally. Also would like to complain to NAPA”

How is this possible? I thought there was a minimum number of cases of each kind they had to do? Like hearts and liver transplants? Blocks, etc?
There are and I am wondering too. But to be fair, no one needs a liver transplant to graduate. Many of us have never done any.

I agree this is absolutely ridiculous if true. Napa is toxic in both the academic and private practice world.

Same hospital where new residency was approved.

370k lmao

Hours per week he works now. Not when he started.
Also does that hours/week include call?

Here is a thread where I asked him similar questions along with others that he ignored too. Definitely red flags.
Sorry bro, not ignoring you, I just don't get on here that often.
I'm happy to answer, but given that we aren't in the private forum, I'm not writing it out here. Feel free to DM me

That's "base salary", does not include any call, overtime pay, profit sharing. True salary is significantly higher.
Unfortunately given NAPAs ineptitude, we haven't been able to get them to give a more accurate salary on their job posting.
$370k still seems insanely low

Everyone in our group that is 1 FTE makes significantly more than that. Profit sharing, incentive pay, etc...