Shingrix

Discussion in 'Pharmacy' started by RxVampire, Sep 18, 2017.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. RxVampire

RxVampire PharmDruggist 2+ Year Member

Oct 11, 2015
    Pharmacist
    'Impressed' FDA panel unanimously recommends GSK shingles vaccine

Looking into the crystal ball for what lies ahead. I'm just curious about what will be the standard set for those who already have received HZV

There's another article on Medscape on this topic but I usually have issues sharing since membership is often needed

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. wagrxm2000

wagrxm2000 2+ Year Member

Sep 17, 2014
    I would like unchained opinion on this

4. rph3664

rph3664 7+ Year Member

Jul 4, 2010
    I just got a Zostavax a couple weeks ago (yes, I'm that old). Time will tell how well it works.

5. RxVampire

Oct 11, 2015
    Pharmacist
    God damn it, now you've summoned him...I was hoping not to by not including vaccine in the title. But you know, he's got so many resources, I'm sure he knows what shingrix is and how many cases of 60+yo autism disorders it has already caused

owlegrad likes this.
  6. PolarPop

PolarPop 2+ Year Member

Jun 5, 2014
    You should have waited. The new vaccine coming is much more effective.

7. BidingMyTime

BidingMyTime Lost Shaker Of Salt 10+ Year Member

Oct 2, 2006
    Illinois
    So what are going to be the recommendations for people who got Zostavax, I wonder? If Zostavax is wearing off, then will a repeat of either it, or the new Shingrix be recommended?

8. wagrxm2000

Sep 17, 2014
    I could potentially see something like the prevnar/pneumovax. If you got it at this age, get the new one so many years later.

rph3664 and owlegrad like this.
  9. steveysmith54

steveysmith54 Member 10+ Year Member

Dec 28, 2005
    This is a game changer... I can see district managers already drafting their emails to pharmacists to start pushing the vaccination lol

10. Unchained

Unchained 5+ Year Member

Jul 29, 2011
    We've already been told to start selling them the new snake oil as soon as it is available. This comes from our Director of Sales who's not even a pharmacist. I asked and he said "studies on two vaccines doing the same thing? We don't need no stinking studies. Just give it to them." All of a sudden we find out that the efficacy of Zostavax decreases markedly over time. You don't say? This new Shingrix is two shots! Just think of the $$$$$. You're not paid to question.

owlegrad likes this.
  11. PolarPop

PolarPop 2+ Year Member

Jun 5, 2014
    Zostavax patients were excluded from the study. But there is another study that is recruiting people who have received it in the past.

There is also a possibility that this could decrease the number of shingles vaccines by pharmacists. It is stored in the refrigerator so now every MD/NP/PA will have it readily in their office unlike with zostavax where most of them couldn't store it.

catalyzt and Rockinacoustic like this.
  12. wagrxm2000

Sep 17, 2014
    So what your saying is it's not worth it even if it decreases the person's risk of getting shingles by even a little?

The day you get shingles, will be an interesting day for you.

RxVampire likes this.
  13. radio frequency

radio frequency 2+ Year Member

Dec 18, 2012
    Maybe...but in my recent experience, my providers don't even like to bother with CDC vaccine charts, figuring out what is needed when, and ordering vaccines (perhaps unless they work in primary care). I needed one recently and it was like pulling teeth...so like a good pharmacist, I went to a pharmacy and had it done that day, then reported it to my doctor. They were relieved to have less work.

14. Unchained

Unchained 5+ Year Member

Jul 29, 2011
    No, it's not worth it. I don't trust the FDA or CDC to do what's best for the public. There are too many special interests involved and too much money. Tell me that they are still the gold standard in the world when they let a product like Flumist through and remain on the market for years.
    I'm not likely to get shingles because I remain healthy by exercising and maintaining a well rounded diet. The dangers are greatly overstated as far as the statistics show. I don't consider Terry Bradshaw an expert on shingles and won't heed his advice. If Zostavax worked as well as they would've allowed you to believe I don't think they would've needed Terry. They should consider upgrading to Tom Brady now that Shingrix will be available.

15. trailerpark

trailerpark 2+ Year Member

May 27, 2013
    Another question, give patients 65+ Fluad or Fluzone HD?

16. BidingMyTime

Oct 2, 2006
    Illinois
    I doubt that, other than Peds, most prescribers don't do vaccines. For various reasons, they don't find it cost effective/worth their time.

I wonder if Unchained has even had chicken pox yet?

Yes, excercising and a wellround diet is good.....but that is no prevention against viruses.

Good question, according to the CDC it doesn't matter. I would say whatever people want. My preference would be for Fluad--more strains good. Whether the HD is better in the majority of the elderly is not clear from the studies.

17. wagrxm2000

Sep 17, 2014
    So you think the studies that are done are falsified and anyone who doesn't get say mumps, whooping cough, pneumonia, shingles, meningitis, etc are simply lucky?

You still never responded to the link I posted last year showing how all these vaccines have greatly reduced or even stopped us from getting these diseases all together. I'm sorry but it's not just luck, exercising and eating healthy.

I'm pretty sure a relative of mine thought he was too healthy to get shingles too but guess what happened a few years ago? Hint, he got shingles.

You also never respond to articles showing kids dying after their parents refusing to give them their vaccinations.

BidingMyTime likes this.
  18. CetiAlphaFive

CetiAlphaFive

Apr 12, 2016
    Coordinating follow-up doses in the current community pharmacy model is a nightmare.

Not sure why they think that's a good idea.

19. Unchained

Unchained 5+ Year Member

Jul 29, 2011
    t
    http://m.huffingtonpost.ca/Lawrence-solomon/death-by-influenza b 4661442.html

I've practiced for 15+yrs and have never had a patient die from the flu. I don't even know a person who knew a person who died from the flu. The numbers are wildly exaggerated. There are reporting and testing issues. Click the Huff Post link. More children die from drowning in the bathtub and lightning strikes than from the flu. Let's spend billions on safer bathtubs than on flu shots which are not effective. In addition there is no study proving the flu shot saves the lives of children. As far as the elderly, CDC's website even acknowledges its lack of efficacy in that population.

Did your relative survive the shingles? Or is he blind now? Zostavax was supposedly only 60% effective for 3 yrs if you believe the manufacturer's study. Also recall why we have so many cases of shingles today. Hint: Chicken Pox Vaccine which is also an unnecessary vaccine but effective.

20. wagrxm2000

Sep 17, 2014
    You realize everyone born before the 80s has the virus right? A very small population are actually getting the vaccination.

I'm not talking about patients who die from the flu. I'm talking about all the testimonies of people who die from all vaccinations.

Personal Testimonies: View All

The point isn't that these vaccinations are 100% effective, it's lowering the chances of getting these diseases.

I agree though, not many die from the flu, it's just horrible having it.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2017
  21. CetiAlphaFive

CetiAlphaFive

Apr 12, 2016
    Why are you operating on the false basis that only mortality matters?

Dred Pirate, Carboxide and catalyzt like this.
  22. Unchained

Unchained 5+ Year Member

Jul 29, 2011
    The reason adults are getting shingles now in much higher rates is because they are not being exposed to children walking around with chicken pox activating their immune systems to keep it suppressed.

23. PolarPop

PolarPop 2+ Year Member

Jun 5, 2014
    This would mean that you've followed the deaths every patient you've had over 15 years... which of course is ridiculous. I also don't personally know anyone that has died from flu. But considering I am not a senior citizen that doesn't really carry much weight does it? I have seen at least 10+ die from flu directly and 20+ die from post flu complications, whether those be post-flu pneumonias, hospital acquired infections during the admission, or even ischemic events. Yes the vaccine is off some years, but the direct and indirect mortality benefits are undeniable. You should should visit a 90 year old dying of flu in the ICU or maybe the 75 year old who got the flu then MRSA pneumonia and ended up on a vent for the rest of their life (both who didn't get vaccinated that year). Each one had admissions that cost well over $100k to insurance companies. Maybe that would change your mind?

Your huffpost link is 404'd by the way, probably because huffpost is just an unreliable blog :thumbdown:

24. BidingMyTime

Oct 2, 2006
    Illinois
    Now I know that isn't true, because we had a big thread a couple years ago about this, and there were a couple of posters here who talked about people they knew who died from the flu (so maybe you don't consider a regular posting "knowing" someone.)

A couple of years, a 6 year old in my area died of the flu. This stuff is relatively rare, but it does happen, and it's completely devastating to the family it happens to.

25. RxVampire

Oct 11, 2015
    Pharmacist
    *Update (may need medscape username to access): Medscape: Medscape Access
    Seems like shingrix may hit the market sooner than anticipated; more to follow post Oct 24th according to the article

26. Unchained

Unchained 5+ Year Member

Jul 29, 2011
    Of course it will be here sooner than anticipated. They probably cut some more corners by having it produced faster by a lab in India which is not subjected to the rigorous inspections we have here in the States. When it comes to vaccines there are already lower safety standards vs standard medications because "vaccine supposedly preventable diseases" are such a health menace.

27. RxVampire

Oct 11, 2015
    Pharmacist
    *version has already been out in Canada a few years, just gotto go through a bunch of bull**** US over regulated system. I think your tinfoil hat is on a bit too tight as of lately

28. wagrxm2000

Sep 17, 2014
    Why do you never respond to people when they prove you wrong?

29. RxVampire

Oct 11, 2015
    Pharmacist
    Fluzone HD is still rates as higher level of evidence vs Fluad. Was in the latest PL article about this year's influenza vaccines

30. Unchained

Unchained 5+ Year Member

Jul 29, 2011
    How about Flumist? How does that rate? Oh that's right we vaccinated 100's of thousands of children and then found out it didn't work. Hmm, I wonder what happened there?

31. RxVampire

Oct 11, 2015
    Pharmacist
    Everyone please just ignore trolls...clearly all they want is attention & like changing the subject when they can't back up a far fetched belief

32. wagrxm2000

Sep 17, 2014
    So nothing on all the other shots? Oh wait because they work.

33. Chodronfan

Chodronfan 7+ Year Member

Oct 9, 2010
    $

34. CetiAlphaFive

CetiAlphaFive

Apr 12, 2016
    I don't think you read my post correctly.

35. zelman

zelman 7+ Year Member

Nov 27, 2009
    Think we should repackage it as a nasal shingles vaccine? We could make big bucks and they're all saline anyway.