Shipping Car

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

indo530

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am going to be shipping a Nissan Xterra from Northern California to Winchester, VA. I was wondering if anybody has any experience with shipping. Any prices and recommendations for companies to go with or not to go with would help. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

I am going to be shipping a Nissan Xterra from Northern California to Winchester, VA. I was wondering if anybody has any experience with shipping. Any prices and recommendations for companies to go with or not to go with would help. Thank you.

why not drive it there? Wouldn't it be expensive to ship it?

why not drive it there? Wouldn't it be expensive to ship it?

Do consider that such a trip is 40 1/2 hours non-stop (according to Mapquest). ;)

However, I would guess that the price of airfare and car shipping is probably higher than driving while paying for gas, food, lodging, and lost time. But it doesn't hurt to ask.

Members don't see this ad :)

I moved twice. Both times we used http://www.dasautoshippers.com/car_shipping.html?EADID=002Auto_Shipping

I didn't choose them. It was chosen by the moving package. But no problem at all. FWIW, it cost minivan from Northern Cal to Dallas around $800.

I did some basic searching on google, and I estimate about $500 or so (I read it on one site...that was enough for me)? I don't know, I thought it would cost more than that...but you can look it up and get quotes from different companies. Google is your friend.

Three years ago we shipped our daughter's car from N CA to NC & we used TNT Auto Transport. We'd use them again.

The uniform key we found for all these places:
1. give them LOTS of time - our daughter's car was picked up from a locked lot - we left it at in Santa Clara, then the truck went to WA, NV, WI, IL, NY, NC, VA, FL. They go all over the US to pick up & drop off these cars. We had no time issues, so they gave us a 5 day window & we kept checking. They picked it up on day 4. They gave us a window on the other end - it got there before the expected date. If you don't pick it up after the window ends, you pay storage fees. If they're late, they pay for a rental car.
2. its cheaper if you don't have door-to-door service. We dropped the car off in a lot, which was secured at night & it was dropped off in Raleigh-Durham at a used car dealer's lot, which was secured. It was washed for her before she picked it up.
3. realize they will drive your car "a bit" - but it should not be much...only enough to get it on & off the truck so they can pick up or take off another car. There are lots of stories about cars that are driven around, etc...Most good companies note your beginning & ending mileage.
4. make sure you have a # you can call everyday - weekends included - & try it FIRST, before you commit. Give the company a call, you'll get a recording, but if it asks if you want to be connected to a "locator" - try it. Some companies don't have someone who is available to "locate" where your car is. Thats how we knew where her car was...she called just to check - they didn't mind & they understood....and, she got to know the dispatcher (which might have facilitated the car wash at the end - who knows).
5. don't ship stuff in your car, unless you've paid a premium for that service. These are auto shippers - not moving companies & the good ones will tell you up front they have no liability insurance for anything which is taken out of your car. So, if you're planning to move your HDTV & stereo equipment - you'll take the risk. We also had a weight limit, so if you have an SUV, you'll pay more. There is only so much weight these trucks can carry.
6. there are open & closed carriers. Unless you have a vintage or really expensive car, the risks of damage using an open carrier is no more than driving.

Now - the bad part. Three years ago, it cost approx $1850 for drop off "nearby" (really local) & pick up in R-D (2 hrs from where she was going to school), which was not an issue since drsdn flew with her to help move the heavy stuff - they just drove to RD & picked up the car. It took 3 weeks - so allow plenty of time. This price & time frame was in the ballpark of all the ones with a good reputation. But, it was far, far cheaper than having me or drsdn drive across the country with her & we got to have her home for a bit more...so it was worth it.

Good luck!

Ah, an upcoming Shenandoah BJD SOP student?

Why can't you just sell it? Shipping a car is a waste, but maybe you have to for some reason. Although it's not like you can't buy another one. The emission standards in Virginia are probably less stringent which could equal better fuel economy- just a thought.

In the future, do not double post between prepharmacy and pharmacy forums.

Just make the drive, I have done a similar drive coast to coast.

why not drive? I did Albuquerque, NM to about 50 miles past Baltimore, MD in 4 days including spending 36 hours in San Antonio with my sister and going out in Charlotte, NC (would've been just over 2 days but heading south to San Antonio added almost 1000 miles to the total trip - I was right around 2700 miles when I got here)

Cross country road trips are fun - even alone!

Are you sure you can't drive it? You can fill it with all your "stuff," drive across, and have the vehicle there when you get there. I did cross-country (Virginia Beach to San Diego via Chicago), alone, when I was 20 years old. I took my time, maxed out at about 8-10 hours a day, with reasonable rest stops and spent the nights in hotels/motels in relatively populated areas. It was pretty cool, and now that I'm (a LOT) older, I can look back and say that I did it.

It might even be worth asking a close friend to drive it with you, and then you pay for their airfare back to CA. From Winchester, it's not a bad distance to the Dc area or Pittsburgh, to get some pretty decent one-way airfares.

if you are moving, i would only do this under specific circumstances.

(a) you have a place ready to move into. (or)
(b) you don't have a place, but you have more than one car and you want to drive just one car and ship the rest. (or)
(c) you don't want to drive alone.

if you are doing this, my advice is go with a reputable business. you might end up with mystery dings on your car if you dont.

why not drive? I did Albuquerque, NM to about 50 miles past Baltimore, MD in 4 days including spending 36 hours in San Antonio with my sister and going out in Charlotte, NC (would've been just over 2 days but heading south to San Antonio added almost 1000 miles to the total trip - I was right around 2700 miles when I got here)

agreed

and I should add, you can fit a lot in your car. I have a Honda Element (I imagine similar layout to the XTerra) I dropped off a bunch of stuff in TX for my sister and still had loads of room. When I moved from Tucson to ABQ I did everything other than furniture in my station wagon - don't use boxes! stuff underwear under the seats! It really is doable.

And on the roadtrip aspect - eelo is totally right on. As a young (23) woman I didn't tell a soul what I was out doing, even if my New Mexico tags gave it away. Until the last day. The only traffic I hit in 2700 miles was between Richmond and DC. Crawling at 5mph for 10 miles. I had to pee SOO bad (seriously, I want a Foley to gravity for the trip back) - I was scoping out surrounding cars for one with >1 responsible adults in it so someone could drive my car in 1st gear for 50 feet while I went to pee in the woods. It was awful.

So in Fredricksburg I get off the highway to get gas and pee with everyone else who was on 95. I was trying to work the sympathy vote in the bathroom line talking about my driving 2500 miles at that point at no traffic despite hitting Atlanta, Baton Rouge and New Orleans during various degrees of rush hour. While no one would pity me and move me up in line almost every woman in the line was like "wow, all by yourself? so brave!" "man, I wish I'd done that when I was young (and not beating the 4 nascar fan anklebiters I've got in line with me)" I don't regret it for a minute even though I bought a car with mediocre gas mileage (25mph highway) and the high gas prices. Of course I wish one of my friends could've come with me (or even my dog) but it was a total blast.

Too bad I was too tired to go back into the car to get my camera for the poster in the "Welcome to Mississippi" rest stop bathroom. It was advertising an exhibit at an art museum of "Italian Paintings". No other qualifiers. Just Italian. (I imagine pronounced "Eye-Tal-ee-an")

I lived in VA before. Then I moved to CA two years ago. I had my car shipped from Northern VA to CA for $950, but I flew to CA. Good thing was that I could load my stuff into the car. I carried important stuff with me. Books and clothes went with the car.

There are many shipping companies, but make sure that you find a legitimate company. Make sure to tell them that you do not want any damage to your car. It happened to mine.

Not all companies let you put your stuff in the car. Find companies that let you do that.

I am sure that you can bargain, also look for different companies to compare the price.

I hope it will help

Have you watched all those movies like THe Hitcher, Texas Chain Saw Massacre, The Hills have Eyes, Hostel...:D:) j/k
I know a pharmacist who drove from FL to Dallas TX in a Uhaul with his car trailing behind. He said it was so nervous at first but then it was all good and fun as he knew throads very well already and did a similar trip back 2 year before. I personally will ship my car as I am afraid of driving long trip and getting lost on the roads... maybe I am just a very bad driver :(

If you decide to drive alone, I recommend getting a cheaper GPS unit to help you with directions. When you're all alone it's hard to remember what road you're supposed to turn on and where because there is no one with you to consult the map while you're driving. The GPS will also come in handy once you get there to find your way around your new town.

honestly - you rarely are off of an interstate on a cross-country drive (unless you choose more scenic routes). I don't think a GPS is necessary nor is getting lost such a big deal until you get to your destination and have to get off said interstate.

http://www.goldenkeyexpress.com/files/index1.htm

I used them from LA to NY. Nothing but good things to say about them. Only one truck, one driver involved with your car - no shuffling back and forth. They are the shipper and carrier - no moving middleman. The most they will do with your car is to shuffle it off and on the carrier - no driving it for long distances. Cost me about $1100. Highly recommended.

I've merged the two threads you posted on Pre-Pharmacy and Pharmacy indo530. You should only post one topic in one appropriate forum next time and you'll get answers.

If you decide to drive alone, I recommend getting a cheaper GPS unit to help you with directions. When you're all alone it's hard to remember what road you're supposed to turn on and where because there is no one with you to consult the map while you're driving. The GPS will also come in handy once you get there to find your way around your new town.

Or if you are a AAA member, just go to there and have them print out triptix for you. Much easier than a map since it page has mapped out the route and they tend to be somewhat up to date with construction routing which cheap GPS units aren't able to do. The only plus I see to the GPS is if you randomly decide to take a detour to someplace off the highway.

Good thing that you are not going to live in Fairfax county, VA because if you are, you will have to pay annual property tax for your car too. When I bought my car, I had to pay $560 first year, and going down to $490 in the second year....