Shipping stuff from UK/Ireland to US

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dr.op

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I am sure there are loads of US and Canadian graduates of Irish or UK med schools out there who have found themselves in my situation - I am moving to the US for residency, but I'm realising I have a ton of stuff I want to bring! I am just wondering what you guys did with your stuff? Did you sell it (furniture etc), and if so, how? What companies did you use to ship your stuff?
Cheers,
OP

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys,
I am sure there are loads of US and Canadian graduates of Irish or UK med schools out there who have found themselves in my situation - I am moving to the US for residency, but I'm realising I have a ton of stuff I want to bring! I am just wondering what you guys did with your stuff? Did you sell it (furniture etc), and if so, how? What companies did you use to ship your stuff?
Cheers,
OP

I handed down my furniture. Took as much as possible on my flight. You don't need THAT much stuff, so you shouldn't really have to ship all that much. I just shipped some sweaters and things that were light for cheap shipping but were bulky and would take up too much suitcase space. Each time you go home you return with more stuff though, so it builds up over the years.

When you do have to ship, if you are sending books package tham separately. Post in Ireland and the USPS both have special rates for media mail that only apply if the entire package is books. Books are heavy, so you don't want to pay for them by weight at the usual rate.

Also, shipping US to Ireland is fast but shipping Ireland to US is very slow in my experience. Plan accordingly.

For Canadians I'd assume something similar though maybe someone will correct me.