Shocked, disappointed, seeking help from anyone.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

needresidency

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I am a US citizen graduated from the Caribbean school.
My step 1 is 210 First attempt
My step 2 is 220 First attempt
CS passed- 3rd attempt. [ unfortunate, have no explanation, apologize :) ].
Overall GPA : 3.8
Summa cum laude graduate this year.
ECFMG certified.
2 years of clinical rotations in USA
4 years of job experience
did 3 months of research assitant
2 presentations

*update- i have only received 1 rejection email so far.
my LORS are my from attendings who i rotated with and got to know me well.

I applied to 130 IM programs
And I am shocked, angered, cried, disappointed that I have not received a single interview....why ???
Can someone help me match ?, I don't know what to do, i don't want gap or go through post match.

I have been following some forums and see posts from applicants who got interview and i am completely in utter shock.
Here are few of them I saw:

1) Med school: Thailand: Non us citizen
step1 195 2nd attempt
step2 212
cs passed 2nd attempt
Awaiting ecfmg certification
no US clinical experience
Interviews : Applied to 110, Received 10 in IM so far.

2)caribbean grad: us citizen
step 1 205 step 2 220 on 2nd attempt
cs passed ecfmg certified, GPA- 3.1
As of November have 15 IV's in IM. Applied to 60 programs

3]Med school : india: Non US citizen
step 1 190 on 2nd attempt, step 2 215 on 2nd attempt
cs passed 2nd attempt
awaiting ecfmg certification
ive applied to 200 programs, got 7 interviews so far in IM, 1 in FM

4)caribbean grad: us citizen
step 1 200, step 2 210 2nd attempt
cs passed
ecfmg certified
gpa 2.8
applied to 250 programs got 12 interviews, 10 im FM, 2 IM

5) med school: london
step 1 198 3rd attempt
step 2: 212 1st attempt
cs passed 3rd attempt
ecfmg certified
applied to 148 programs- got 8 FM Ivs, 3 IM ivs, 1 Anesthesia IV

6) brazil med grad
step 1 212 4th attempt: my english no good so had hard time passing
but step 2 i got 215 1st attempt
cs passed 3rd attempt
ecfmg certified
i want to go to california and florida so i apply 100 programs got 12 interview 8 in FM and 4 in IM

7)caribbean grad : us citizen
my stats: step 1 got 210
step 2 took 2nd time 215
cs passed 2nd time
awaiting ecfmg certification
gpa : 2.7
applied to 170 programs- surprisingly got 20 interviews, 15 IM, 2 surgery, 1 EM

I saw quite some more--- can some resident, program director, help me out, i cried my heart out...i honestly don't know what to do or who to talk to, i am so disappointed--
I live here in US what would i do if i don't match!
Thnx.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I would worry about the strength/appropriateness of your letters. I think rads is likely out of reach and possible gas, but in theory you should get IM interviews if you applied broadly enough and if your letters are good. Did you send specialty specific letters to the appropriate programs?

Reactions: 1 users
It is very difficult to compare your application to others, as there are many more parts of the application other than what you've posted. Also, I've hunted here on SDN and don't see any of these posts (I only looked for the top 3), links would be helpful.

That said:

1. You are wasting your time applying to anesthesia, Rads, EM. It doesn't matter if you rotated there, chances of getting interviewed given your stats in these fields is nill.
2. You've applied to a bunch of fields. Usually, if I'm looking at your application in IM, I want to see that you're interested in IM. If I see a bunch of EM or anesthesia rotations, I might decline to interview you figuring that I'm a backup for you.
3. Not all carib schools are created equal.
4. Your "Top 5%" and discordant USMLE scores are a concern. How could you do so well in med school, and then so poorly on the USMLE? It makes me worry about the quality of your school.
5. Failing CS once is bad. Twice is horrific. Failing the other steps might be fixed by just studying more. Failing CS suggests you don't know the basics of clinical care.

Reactions: 9 users
How early did you apply? With your stats, Anesthesia, rads, and EM were out of reach, so its not surprising you didn't get interviews is those. Did you apply to many IM programs? I would have expected you to get more interviews in those if that was the case. Anyway, I would suggest for next year, you apply more broadly and early, and try for less competitive specialties. Try for more IM programs, for instance. IM can actually serve as a springboard for many careers. You could be a hospitalist, PCP, or, if you wish to specialize, opt for fellowships such as cards, GI, heme/onc, rheum, nephro, etc.. And also see if you can get some good LORs from attendings you've worked with.

Reactions: 1 user
A FMG with multiple board failures is never matching in GI.

OP, the fact that you are shocked you didn't do better really reflects poorly on the echochamber of your school. It should have been obvious that you were in serious jeopardy and needed a match anywhere strategy. That starts with not applying to multiple specialties for which you have no chance. You need to empty the bank accounts to apply to the 100 least competitive programs and tailor your letters to that "interest."

Reactions: 4 users
It is very difficult to compare your application to others, as there are many more parts of the application other than what you've posted. Also, I've hunted here on SDN and don't see any of these posts (I only looked for the top 3), links would be helpful.

That said:

1. You are wasting your time applying to anesthesia, Rads, EM. It doesn't matter if you rotated there, chances of getting interviewed given your stats in these fields is nill --- My primary interest is Internal Medicine. I applied to 130 programs with LORs from Attendings that got to know me well during my rotations with them.
2. You've applied to a bunch of fields. Usually, if I'm looking at your application in IM, I want to see that you're interested in IM. If I see a bunch of EM or anesthesia rotations, I might decline to interview you figuring that I'm a backup for you.
3. Not all carib schools are created equal.
4. Your "Top 5%" and discordant USMLE scores are a concern. How could you do so well in med school, and then so poorly on the USMLE? It makes me worry about the quality of your school.-- Yes I have pondered about it also after getting my score. One thing did happen that day and it was my mom who was nervous for me because it was such an important exam and after 4 blocks i took a lunch break and got a text from a family member that she had fainted and was taken to the hospital, I completed the rest of the blocks with that news in mind.
5. Failing CS once is bad. Twice is horrific. Failing the other steps might be fixed by just studying more. Failing CS suggests you don't know the basics of clinical care.
It was just unfortunate as I received great feedback from my attendings and had even passed the mock exam.

What do you suggest I can do from here ?.
In fact, I have only received 1 rejection email so far.
I would highly like to get matched this year.
Thank you so much.

How early did you apply? With your stats, Anesthesia, rads, and EM were out of reach, so its not surprising you didn't get interviews is those. Did you apply to many IM programs? I would have expected you to get more interviews in those if that was the case. Anyway, I would suggest for next year, you apply more broadly and early, and try for less competitive specialties. Try for more IM programs, for instance. IM can actually serve as a springboard for many careers. You could be a hospitalist, PCP, or, if you wish to specialize, opt for fellowships such as cards, GI, heme/onc, rheum, nephro, etc.. And also see if you can get some good LORs from attendings you've worked with.

I applied the first week the applications opened.
I applied to 130 IM programs broadly and have received only 1 rejection so far.
And in fact, I researched well in advanced and have only applied to programs that mentioned scores less than or around my score range.
My Lor's are from attendings who have gotten to know me well through my rotation with them.
Seems like I am heading for next years match, but I would love to match this year, Is there anything I could still do- call the programs perhaps ?
Thank you so much.

I would worry about the strength/appropriateness of your letters. I think rads is likely out of reach and possible gas, but in theory you should get IM interviews if you applied broadly enough and if your letters are good. Did you send specialty specific letters to the appropriate programs?

Yes I applied to 130 IM programs broadly and sent 3 LORS from attendings who got to know me well through my rotation with them.

Your numbers are way too low for a carib . Reading your post I am not shocked at all with the lack of interviews. I don't get how carib students are not aware of this at all until the last minute.

Would really consider preparing for next year. Apply to FM /psych/ peds

Match is a bitch. There are winners and losers. Also, now is when I got half of my interviews. So, a few should hopefully come in.

It sounds like you applied for stuff out of reach, and also spread yourself out too much. I would recommend focusing on FM, IM that are community based. Also, be prepared to scramble. Failing CS x 2 is a big blow as well.

Just a question Ive always pondered on:
Why is it just about scores ?. I thought programs didn't want competition during residency ? Shouldn't the candidates be looked at as a fit for certain specialty ?
After all, residency is about getting trained and practicing day in and out and honing our skills to improve and become competent and best physicians.
I never had a single patient that asked me hey doc whats your board score before letting me do H&P.
But it's the empathy, and the question can they trust the doctor that's going to treat them, will they be there for them whenever needed, does the doctor have enough experience to be responsible for patients health.
I think the way Match process is done is not in benefit for every candidate, which it should be fair for all. Especially if programs receive 2000-4000 applications, which is true of almost every IM/FM/PEDS, plenty of them wont even have their app reviewed.

Example to back up my point: I knew a resident where I was rotating and he had 245 on step 1, studied for it for 1 year, no research/presentation, but introverted and a chain smoker, every hour he would step out to smoke... whats the point of taking such candidate ?
I would personally never want such doctor to take care of me or other patients.
Such a coveted profession, highly respectable, and should put out doctors who are inspiring, have roundable personality, and leadership skills. Doctors who will propel the field of medicine to next level so I do find it disappointing that our ability, integrity, and capability is just based on 3 digit number.

Last edited:
Why is it just about scores ?. I thought programs didn't want competition during residency ? Shouldn't the candidates be looked at as a fit for certain specialty ?
After all, residency is about getting trained and practicing day in and out and honing our skills to improve and become competent and best physicians.
I never had a single patient that asked me hey doc whats your board score before letting me do H&P.
But it's the empathy, and the question can they trust the doctor that's going to treat them, will they be there for them whenever needed, does the doctor have enough experience to be responsible for patients health.
I think the way Match process is done is not in benefit for every candidate, which it should be fair for all. Especially if programs receive 2000-4000 applications, which is true of almost every IM/FM/PEDS, plenty of them wont even have their app reviewed.

You applied to 4 vastly different specialties and you're asking to be looked at for "fit" in a certain specialty? The only specialty you have a shot in out of the ones you applied to is IM, and it's the only one you didn't rotate in. It's very possible that programs are looking at your application and thinking that you wouldn't fit in IM because you rotated in much more competitive specialties. Programs don't want to interview people they think are just applying as a backup.

Of course laypeople don't care what your board score is, but they sure as heck will want a knowledgeable, board-certified physician taking care of them. USMLE scores are predictive of specialty board passing rates. Barely pass or fail a USMLE? You're at a much higher risk of not passing your boards. Which doesn't look very good on the program that trained you. Sure you have a 3.8 from your medical school, but we don't know which Carib school you go to, and they're not all the same. They're not even LCME-accredited, which means that programs will rely all the more heavily on USMLE scores, as that's really the only way to compare your knowledge to the knowledge of a US-AMG.

Reactions: 3 users
You applied to 4 vastly different specialties and you're asking to be looked at for "fit" in a certain specialty? The only specialty you have a shot in out of the ones you applied to is IM, and it's the only one you didn't rotate in. It's very possible that programs are looking at your application and thinking that you wouldn't fit in IM because you rotated in much more competitive specialties. Programs don't want to interview people they think are just applying as a backup.

Of course laypeople don't care what your board score is, but they sure as heck will want a knowledgeable, board-certified physician taking care of them. USMLE scores are predictive of specialty board passing rates. Barely pass or fail a USMLE? You're at a much higher risk of not passing your boards. Which doesn't look very good on the program that trained you. Sure you have a 3.8 from your medical school, but we don't know which Carib school you go to, and they're not all the same. They're not even LCME-accredited, which means that programs will rely all the more heavily on USMLE scores, as that's really the only way to compare your knowledge to the knowledge of a US-AMG.

I did rotate in IM, It was 1 of my core and very first rotation. Then Ive done others.

Yes but did your letters say you wanted to do IM or that you wanted <insert any residency here>. Programs want letters that specifically mention the specialty you are applying for. Their specialty. Not any of 4 specialties.

And to answer your other question about scores, scores matter because they are the great equalizer. Grades between different schools are difficult to compare. And when residency programs receive hundreds of applications for a limited number of spots, the easiest way to prescreen to cut it down to a manageable number is by scores. Likely you already experienced this once when you applied to medical school and didn't make the cut for a Non-Carib school.

I never understand why people think this sort of thing changes after completing medical school. The competition for residencies is fierce, even more so than for admission to medical school. Scores matter. They will also matter for many fellowships (residency inservice scores). So taking someone with below-average scores from a non-Carib Med school is just not something competitive residencies need to consider doing. They can find people with a good fit AND good scores.

Yes I applied to 130 IM programs broadly and sent 3 LORS from attendings who got to know me well through my rotation with them.

As mentioned, we use USMLE scores to help make decisions because they are standardized and compare applicants to each other. Trying to measure "fit" is really difficult, if not impossible. Everyone's LOR's state that they are in the top 5% of people they have ever worked with, and are mostly unhelpful.

It's not just your CS failures that are the problem. Your other steps are lowish also. STep 2 has an average of 238 with a SD of 18 or so, so a 220 is just at 1 SD below the mean -- that's the 33rd percentile.

When we talk about IM rotations, we're talking about 4th year rotations. Of course you did your core -- everyone does that. The question is what did you do 4th year? Dod you do an IM SubI? How many non-IM rotations did you do?

The "match" isn't the problem here. If there was no match (and people simply got offers), you'd still have the same problem. I agree that part of the problem is that programs get 100's of apps per spot, but there's no way to fix that (at least not easily).

FM is the least competitive field, and is where you should be focusing your applications.

What to do this year? You certainly can contact programs for an update, and perhaps that will help but the yield will be very low. It's too late to send out new applications. You need to start prepping for next year. You want to do a bunch of FM rotations now -- without them, you'll have more trouble matching in FM next year. You'll want some sort of a job that helps you become more competitive -- research, or something with some clinical exposure. You'll also want to prep for SOAP.

I would still like some links to the posts of the "other applicants" above. Are you sure those are current? The match has def gotten somewhat more competitive, although carib IMG's who do well still will get spots, those that struggle may have more difficulty.

Just as a note, I don't think the OP failed CS, unless I'm missing something from the original post. I see mentions of other applicants that failed CS but I don't see that from the OP's stats.
The OP has been edited in some way. So many responses talk about failing CS and applying to things other than IM that I'm inclined to believe the OP read quite differently before.

Reactions: 7 users
The OP has been edited in some way. So many responses talk about failing CS and applying to things other than IM that I'm inclined to believe the OP read quite differently before.

yes i had just mentioned about 2 other programs i rotated in and had applied to few as 'maybe will get lucky'.
But my primary interest and first preferance is internal medicine so i removed that part to focus on getting proper advice.
thank you.

Just as a note, I don't think the OP failed CS, unless I'm missing something from the original post. I see mentions of other applicants that failed CS but I don't see that from the OP's stats.

yes i have 3rd attempt on it.
I had messaged PD about it.
sry about that,
thnx.

yes i have 3rd attempt on it.
I had messaged PD about it.
sry about that,
thnx.

Yeah that's a huge problem. I don't think you should have edited your post. The original info is necessary to get helpful feedback. Agreed with above. Focus on FM/psych/peds next year. For this year, with no invites, you should still be able to SOAP into a prelim medicine or surgery spot. Then you have to perform really really well and hope to get a good letter from that program for next year's match.

I have a little advice for what it is worth. Make a list of all the attendings and senior residents you know at every program you ever rotated at. Drop em an email saying that you haven't had much luck at getting any interviews at any programs and could they intervene with the program director to at least get you an interview in their program. Also get ready to scramble for FM/IM. Nobody knows the pickle you are in, except you. If you let someone who likes you know, they might pull your app from the bottom of the pile and take a second look.

Reactions: 3 users
yes i had just mentioned about 2 other programs i rotated in and had applied to few as 'maybe will get lucky'.
But my primary interest and first preferance is internal medicine so i removed that part to focus on getting proper advice.
thank you.

You say you want proper advice but you leave out some really important info that is obviously impacting your application.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Dude. It's going to be a miracle if you match with two Step 2 CS failures. I don't know what school you go to, but your dean should of sat you down. Even called you before you applied for residency. That's what SGU advisers do.........You basically tossed money away for all the programs that aren't FM....

All those post you listed, seems like old posts. If you are a US Citizen, and don't mind relocating. I can try to help you get into the health insurance regulation field. No guarantees.

EDIT: That's only if you don't mind a career change.
EDIT 2: Let's put this into another perspective. I have a buddy that is from SGU. Reapplying for the match. He has 220's/220's/with only 1 failed CS attempt. He is going all in for FM, 150 applied. He has 5 interview. He's US citizen. You should really explore into back up plans.

Last edited:
Dude. It's going to be a miracle if you match with two Step 2 CS failures. I don't know what school you go to, but your dean should of sat you down. Even called you before you applied for residency. That's what SGU advisers do.........You basically tossed money away for all the programs that aren't FM....

All those post you listed, seems like old posts. If you are a US Citizen, and don't mind relocating. I can try to help you get into the health insurance regulation field. No guarantees.

EDIT: That's only if you don't mind a career change.
EDIT 2: Let's put this into another perspective. I have a buddy that is from SGU. Reapplying for the match. He has 220's/220's/with only 1 failed CS attempt. He is going all in for FM, 150 applied. He has 5 interview. He's US citizen. You should really explore into back up plans.

Thanks for the offer but i like challenges, it is because of that we all make it far in life after all. i get motivated even more so i shall give you a reply after I MATCH. :)
Thanks.

Thanks for the offer but i like challenges, it is because of that we all make it far in life after all. i get motivated even more so i shall give you a reply after I MATCH. :)
Thanks.

Right. More like you'll PM me once you realize it's pretty hard to get a decent job with a Carib MD, and only options you have is a scribe or a phlebotomist. Then you'll think health care insurance industry sounds pretty interesting.

Thanks.

...aaaaand as usual this thread ends up like most others in this vein.

OP: "OMG help me"
SDN Community: <Offers helpful constructive advice>
OP: "I am the exception to every rule, I'll prove you all wrong."
SDN: <Collective sigh>

Reactions: 18 users
I did rotate in IM, It was 1 of my core and very first rotation. Then Ive done others.

Yeah, you really should have done a 4th year rotation in IM where you take on more of an intern role (a sub-internship) and that's where you get your letters. Really no one should be getting a letter from their very first rotation unless they were an absolute rockstar out of the gate, and even then, it's a 4th year letter that will have much more weight over a 3rd year letter in the same specialty. And if you're that interested in something, you don't do 1 rotation in it and leave it at that. Is it possible for you to fit one of those rotations in this year in FM in preparation for next year if you don't SOAP?

Hey I'm all for optimism, but I'm also all for being realistic. You need to be realistic about all of this, and your school did you a massive disservice by not being realistic with you when it was apparent that your options were severely limited. You've gotten a lot of great advice in this thread and I hope things work out for you.

Need guidance on how to approach calling programs situation
so lets say i call the program and ask for my application status- if they say ok hold on lets look it up and tell me sorry you were not selected. what should i say then ? can i ask them if i could know the reason ? And perhaps if they do tell me something like yeah you have lowish score or failed attempt on cs. would it ve okay to tell hey i apologize etc etc but i am very interested and would be thankful if i could get a second look ?
let me know guys.
thanks so much :)

You can always try, but once you're rejected you're rejected. Don't waste your time unless you have a specific circumstance where you feel you were unfairly rejected. I have heard of stellar applicants being able to call a program where they were rejected and ending up getting an interview. For your purposes, it's the programs who haven't made the decision yet whether or not to interview you who u want to convince to interview you. I would focus on community programs.

Need guidance on how to approach calling programs situation
so lets say i call the program and ask for my application status- if they say ok hold on lets look it up and tell me sorry you were not selected. what should i say then ? can i ask them if i could know the reason ? And perhaps if they do tell me something like yeah you have lowish score or failed attempt on cs. would it ve okay to tell hey i apologize etc etc but i am very interested and would be thankful if i could get a second look ?
let me know guys.
thanks so much :)

If they tell you were not selected, that's usually the end of the conversation. If they indulge you by telling you the REASON you were not selected, you have an estimated 0% chance of getting an interview there.

Sounds like OP originally applied to multiple specialties (including EM, Rads, Anes?), with a 3rd pass on CS. Those 3 specialties are impossibilities with your stats, as well as below average on Step 1 and Step 2 CK.

OP, doesn't sound like English is your first language either.

OP - you need to contact all of your letter writers, ask them to write letters specifically for FM, as that is most likely the closest thing to IM you are ever going to match into for residency. Hopefully you're graduating Carib this year so that the year of graduation doesn't hurt your application even further. You then need to apply to every community FM program, focusing on those that take at least 33% or more (ideally 100%) international grads, across the entire country. You need rotations in FM in that time frame, and letters from FM folks.

If you can SOAP into a prelim IM year, that would be your best option, and then make sure you that you are one of the best interns in the entire program. If you can do that, you could theoretically have a small chance at IM.

Reactions: 2 users
If you can SOAP into a prelim IM year, that would be your best option, and then make sure you that you are one of the best interns in the entire program nation. If you can do that, you could theoretically have a small chance at IM.
Fixed that for you.

...aaaaand as usual this thread ends up like most others in this vein.

OP: "OMG help me"
SDN Community: <Offers helpful constructive advice>
OP: "I am the exception to every rule, I'll prove you all wrong."
SDN: <Collective sigh>

I don't think this is fair He has been open to advice that he reorganize his list, and apply to every FM program in the US. He's not interested in advice that he give up and do medical insurance work. I wouldn't be accepting of that either, at least not before my first match.

Reactions: 7 users
I don't think this is fair He has been open to advice that he reorganize his list, and apply to every FM program in the US. He's not interested in advice that he give up and do medical insurance work. I wouldn't be accepting of that either, at least not before my first match.

Agree, and I don't think IM is entirely out of the question either, provided he demonstrates strong interest in the field through his personal statement, completion of more IM rotations, and excellent letters of recommendation from IM faculty. He may have a shot at some IMG-heavy community IM programs. Or he may even have a shot at psych or peds. If he wants IM, he can apply to a wide range of IM programs, but also to a ton of FM programs as a backup. The FM programs don't have to know he's applying to IM as well as long as he keeps it under wraps (i.e. not applying to IM and FM programs in the same hospital, making sure his IM and FM personal statements get sent to the correct places, etc...).

Fair enough, the response was specifically to the medical insurance suggestion. While I stand corrected on that point, the constant editing of the details of the situation (especially deleting certain elements) is counterproductive to the OP's goals.

Fair enough, the response was specifically to the medical insurance suggestion. While I stand corrected on that point, the constant editing of the details of the situation (especially deleting certain elements) is counterproductive to the OP's goals.

Here is the story: I originally messaged the PD and told him about my situation and stats, but I didn't get a respond till a day or two later so I made a post and thought I had mentioned about the CS but I apparently did not until the PD made the post public, then I checked and corrected it.
I removed the part about me applying to other specialty to avoid confusion so we can all be on same page.
And yes my post wasn't about being vain but the fact that I never like to give up. If we can solve all the challenges out there and reach saturn this is just something on earth.
I find most satisfaction when i am the one to make someone disease free or the one who makes someone live longer so they can be with their loved ones for as long as they can. For such satisfaction, I will never leave medicine as this is the profession I took oath for. :)
So I will never lose, never fear, but rise and persevere.
Thanks.

Last edited:
Here is the story: I originally messaged the PD and told him about my situation and stats, but I didn't get a respond till a day or two later so I made a post and thought I had mentioned about the CS but I apparently did not until the PD made the post public, then I checked and corrected it.
I removed the part about me applying to other specialty to avoid confusion so we can all be on same page.
And yes my post wasn't about being vain but the fact that I never like to give up. If we can solve all the challenges out there and reach saturn this is just something on earth.
I find most satisfaction when i am the one to make someone disease free or the one who makes someone live longer so they can be with their loved ones for as long as they can. For such satisfaction, I will never leave medicine as this is the profession I took oath for. :)
So I will never lose, never fear, but rise and persevere.
Thanks.

But that aspect is one of the main underlying causes to why you are not being successful in your endeavors currently. Not the applications themselves (unless you applied to Rads/EM/Anes at the same hospital you applied to IM), but the fact that you have a core 3rd year MS3 rotation in IM (which everyone has to), but don't have any MS4 rotations in IM, like a sub-internship, where you get more responsibility and can get a more productive LoR. Instead, every IM programs sees rotations in Rads, EM, and Anesthesia, and assumes that since you've done zero rotations in IM as a MS4, you don't actually have an interest in IM. As someone who needs programs to take a chance on you (given your difficulties with Step 2 CS), it's a hard sell.

The first step to productivity is understanding what you did wrong so that you don't do it again. If you do understand what you did wrong in this process initially (and are therefore not 'shocked' anymore), then so be it, and I apologize for continuing to harp on it.

Agree with Top Gun above - IMG-heavy community IM is not 100% out of the question next year. However, if/when you don't match this year, your application next year can't be just IM. I mention FM because it's the closest thing to general IM, and you've given no signs of interest within Peds or Psych (which could be potential options as well). However, you need to do FM/IM rotations (honestly, I'd prefer FM for you just to maximize your chances of matching) and get LoRs from that specialty to give you a chance. If you want to double apply, you need 2 LoRs from each person, one saying you want to go into IM, one saying you want to go into FM, and you need to make sure you assign them properly. You need two personal statements (which will be similar) with an ending tweak of why IM or why FM at the end of the day.

Reactions: 5 users
Your numbers are way too low for a carib . Reading your post I am not shocked at all with the lack of interviews. I don't get how carib students are not aware of this at all until the last minute.

Would really consider preparing for next year. Apply to FM /psych/ peds
No--not psych. If there is no interest in mental health, and 2 failed CS, it is NOT gonna happen.

Reactions: 2 users
No--not psych. If there is no interest in mental health, and 2 failed CS, it is NOT gonna happen.
Likewise, I wouldn't recommend applying in pediatrics since nothing in your posts so far has shown that you're interested in practicing medicine exclusively with children and programs will automatically discount your application for that reason. At my institution, the 2 failed CS exams would also be disqualifying.

your third attempt on CS and less than stellar scores are the root cause of ur problems. Dspite being US citizen, u are going have a difficult journey. Only advice I would give is to pick one specialty and apply broadly like 200 programs. That ll maximize ur chances instead of handpicking programs from diff specialties. If you apply 200, u can likely get 5-7 IVs. If u wanna apply to more specialties, do 200 IM first and then handful of FM and psych if u want

Just go get a DNP and practice. The VA says DNP just as good as FM doctors.

I applied the first week the applications opened.
I applied to 130 IM programs broadly and have received only 1 rejection so far.
And in fact, I researched well in advanced and have only applied to programs that mentioned scores less than or around my score range.
My Lor's are from attendings who have gotten to know me well through my rotation with them.
Seems like I am heading for next years match, but I would love to match this year, Is there anything I could still do- call the programs perhaps ?
Thank you so much.

how is it that you haven't called or emailed the other 129 programs that you applied to by now??!!! you need to call/send email to every one of them now to say that you are interested in their program and wanted to see what your status was with them.

you need to start being PROactive now instead of reactive...

given your stats you should have looked to FM as well, they are (or were) more accepting of low steps and multiple failures, though 3 times for CS is a stretch.

Example to back up my point: I knew a resident where I was rotating and he had 245 on step 1, studied for it for 1 year, no research/presentation, but introverted and a chain smoker, every hour he would step out to smoke... whats the point of taking such candidate ?
I would personally never want such doctor to take care of me or other patients.
Such a coveted profession, highly respectable, and should put out doctors who are inspiring, have roundable personality, and leadership skills. Doctors who will propel the field of medicine to next level so I do find it disappointing that our ability, integrity, and capability is just based on 3 digit number.

because you are not a US student...period.

this should not be news to you...as an IMG, you are at a disadvantage from the get go...as an IMG candidate the only place you have for comparison is your Step scores...and even then you have to have BETTER than your US counterparts to get the same interviews...frankly your scores, even with a 1st attempt are below the average...even for a US student they would be a red flag, nevermind for an IMG, then you go and fail CS TWICE? Dude, that is the kiss of death for an IMG...

not this helps you now, but you should have applied to a LOT more IM programs as well as applying to FM, peds, and maybe psych programs...even then it is becoming more and more competitive even in those specialites these days.

prepare for the SOAP...even applying to prelim surg, since they usually have the most unfilled spots, and pray you get something.

if you can find a research spot for next year, it will give you something to do and next year prepare to apply everywhere...and in as many of the non competitive specialities that you can.

It's been a while since I posted on any medical forum, and I'm happy to see some familiar faces from ValueMD. I'm a chief resident reviewing applications for what is considered to be a less-competitive psych program and while your stats alone wouldn't be disqualifying for psych, I'll echo what's been said and advise that you need to do what you can at this moment to change any upcoming rotations to IM, FM, peds or psych so that next cycle you can show that you have a genuine interest in one of those fields. After graduation is too late: I've seen too many people suddenly develop a research interest in psych after a med school transcript full of surgery rotations. Those get left in the reject pile.