Other Shocked, disappointed, seeking help.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

needresidency

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
{Not sure if i should post this here}
Hello,
I am a US citizen graduated from the Caribbean school.
My step 1 is 210 First attempt
My step 2 is 220 First attempt
CS passed
Overall GPA : 3.8
Summa cum laude graduate this year.
ECFMG certified.
2 years of clinical rotations in USA
4 years of job experience
2 presentations

I applied to 190 programs of my interests( IM, Anesthesia ( Rotated), Radiology( Rotated), and Emergency medicine( Rotated)
And I am shocked, angered, cried, disappointed that I have not received a single interview....why ???
Can someone help me match ?, I don't know what to do, i don't want gap or go through post match.

I have been following some forums and see posts from applicants who got interview and i am completely in utter shock.
Here are few of them I saw:

1) Med school: Thailand: Non us citizen
step1 195 2nd attempt
step2 212
cs passed 2nd attempt
Awaiting ecfmg certification
no US clinical experience
Interviews : Applied to 110, Received 10 in IM so far.

2)caribbean grad: us citizen
step 1 205 step 2 220 on 2nd attempt
cs passed ecfmg certified, GPA- 3.1
As of November have 15 IV's in IM. Applied to 60 programs

3]Med school : india: Non US citizen
step 1 190 on 2nd attempt, step 2 215 on 2nd attempt
cs passed 2nd attempt
awaiting ecfmg certification
ive applied to 200 programs, got 7 interviews so far in IM, 1 in FM

4)caribbean grad: us citizen
step 1 200, step 2 210 2nd attempt
cs passed
ecfmg certified
gpa 2.8
applied to 250 programs got 12 interviews, 10 im FM, 2 IM

5) med school: london
step 1 198 3rd attempt
step 2: 212 1st attempt
cs passed 3rd attempt
ecfmg certified
applied to 148 programs- got 8 FM Ivs, 3 IM ivs, 1 Anesthesia IV

6) brazil med grad
step 1 212 4th attempt: my english no good so had hard time passing
but step 2 i got 215 1st attempt
cs passed 3rd attempt
ecfmg certified
i want to go to california and florida so i apply 100 programs got 12 interview 8 in FM and 4 in IM

7)caribbean grad : us citizen
my stats: step 1 got 210
step 2 took 2nd time 215
cs passed 2nd time
awaiting ecfmg certification
gpa : 2.7
applied to 170 programs- surprisingly got 20 interviews, 15 IM, 2 surgery, 1 EM

I saw quite some more--- can some resident, program director, help me out, i cried my heart out...i honestly don't know what to do or who to talk to, i am so disappointed--
I live here in US what would i do if i don't match!
Thnx.

Members don't see this ad.

As an IMG (old ) myself with MPH and a very long resume of publications and presentations and higher than your USMLE scores and living in the US as well..This is what I figured out recently (so unfortunate though):
1. there are tons of non-US IMGs (indians, pakistanis..etc) who have recently graduated, have USMLE scores of 240+ and lots of US experience (mostly paid) and if you noticed most programs now have raised their cutoff for this reason.
2. With the huge number of applicants and limited number of positions, programs do not review applications even if they mention in their website that they do, almost all now have filters.
3. CONNECTIONS play a huge role.. I have no connections but I heard this many times from lots of IMGs, they usually receive interviews through friends that are in the program or simply the PD is from their country and thus sending out interviews to his people. (certainly not all of them, but a good number is)
4. One of the rejections I have received said if you are/were an observer in our program let me know to review your application! (another way to get an interview).
5. the likelihood of matching for US-IMGs AND non US-IMGs is 50% for the past couple of years.

Call the programs, tell them you are very interested and ask to review your application, you never know, maybe someone will see how a good candidate you are and invite you to interview..
And always remember there is a second chance. So if you did not match this year, try to add to your resume, make connections and hopefully it will work.

I really wish you all the best,
Stay positive!

Don't trust forums. You need to apply to Family Medicine (apply to a lot of programs) as well with those stats, IM will be a stretch. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry to hear it. I have been in your situation before. Hang in there. Email and call program coordinators or even visit them, especially img friendly programs. Use any contacts. Try to check your personal statement with any residents or doctors and edit if needed

Most of the foreign grads ( from London, Thailand, Brazil, India etc., except from Caribbean ) come to US with some post graduate and fellowship experience. Scores do not matter for them - most of the times if some programs interested....
You have to consider this factor while thinking about interviews.....
Hang on...... and send letters to FMG friendly programs since lot of them cancel the interviews at this time......