Shocking story about my grade (should I give up?)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Challenge

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just received first exam grade of my organic chemistry I. It was unbelievable.
Ok.. here's my background.
Undergrad GPA degree in Human Nutrition and Exercise Science with 2.8
Just started post-bacc program at a state university. I took organic I before and did not study the whole semester and got C.
I got B on Organic II though.
For the General Chemistry II, I got D because I have not touched the material.
However, I re-registered for the class this semester and this time I studied till my @SS off!!
I read the chapters did most(90%) of homework assignment. I spent so many hours studying this course in the hopes of getting A+. And the result was----------
got 8 out of 22 multiple choice question. Average was 60.
I asked the professor what happened and he didn't say much. He didn't know the answer either. I was shock and sooooo angry at myself and everything that was related to Organic. Even the letter F@#$%ing "O"!
I lost confidence and I do not want to study organic chem again. I mean, I am really pissed off.
I liked organic when I was doing homework assignment because I was getting right and understanding almost every questions.
I'm getting B's and A's on the other course but there's gotta be something wrong.
I don't know if I want to pursue medicine because i'm stupid.
This is my second opportunity because I didn't do well in college.
I never got below 50 on any of exam before though I did not study much!
Never was on 30's or 40's.
I was never highly motivated than this before.
I have to get almost 100 on almost all the course to get a B+. And I don't want to risk myself getting another C or even B-.
But I already told one of grad school(which I'm planning to apply for next fall) director that I'm gonna get straight A this semester in order to get admission in the grad school.
Should I drop this class?? Should I never even try to apply for medical school?
PLEEEEEAAAAASSSSEEE HELP!!!!
I am so desperate and depressed right now...

Members don't see this ad.

Well, you have to look at your attributes through the eyes of the admission committee. You want to make your application stand out. Have you taken the MCAT yet? A great MCAT score can help those with below average GPA's. Unfortunately, lots of schools play the "numbers game" when granting interviews. Some schools will weed out those applicants based on scores. You, however, have some options. If possible you can drop the chem class if you feel there is no way you can make an improvement. A withdrawl looks better than a D or lower. You MUST study more. Not studying for O-Chem and getting a C is nothing to brag about. There is no excuse to not study especially for organic which is a key premed class. Medical school classes aren't something you can blow off, you must develop discipline and a work ethic now! Another option is to think about applying to DO schools. Not to say DO schools accept below average students with subpar scores but traditionally the average MCATs and GPAs are lower than MD schools. DO schools look at other qualities as well (ask around the DO boards to learn more).
I think you really need to become motivated because medical school is demanding. We have class from 8am to 5am almost every weekday and most free time is spent studying. It is difficult to stay focused sometimes. I think that if you have an authentic desire to become a doctor things will work out for you. You must work hard as everyone expects a lot from you.

Thats just my 2 cents...others may disagree.

Message to DO students: I didn't mean to generalize your study. Please post specifics about DO schools if you want.

Thanks a lot. Dr. Bigboi. I was really depressed at that time. But see, I gained a little more confidence that I was doing well on other courses and some of your advise. It was not that I studied less than other student on organic. I studied really really hard (let say 5hrs/day for about a month)but I got F on first exam.(Bizzare~) There must be something that I never payed attention or did not understand clearly.

Well, I'm going to drop it because I have to get super grade on rest of exams to get an B+ or A-. (since I got C on organic, retakes should be A) There should be no W on my record which is good.
And yes, I'm also planning to apply to DO school. Actually I really don't care. MD or DO. I just want to be a physician someday.
smile.gif

I just wanted to throw in my two cents here...

I can understand your frustration with studying hard 5 hours a day and getting that kind of score. However, you might want to reconsider HOW you studied for this exam and why you missed the questions.

The length of time can be irrelevant to your success if you are not studying correctly. I'm in school 8-5 carrying 38 units and time is very valuable. On top of that I take the whole day off Saturday to spend with my girlfriend. So what I have to do is create the most efficient way I can study yet the most effective. And I'm doing well in school. This is what all med students deal with everyday.

Dropping the class is the best option, but I would find out how you missed those questions and take it as a learning experience.

About your philosophy on medical school....I would look more into the DO program. There are people in my med school class that think OMM is a waste of time and they stress that they don't have enough time in the day to study. DO school hours are longer than MD schools and if you are going to go this route, you should take that into consideration.

I hope everything goes well for you and good luck in your endeavor.

Arnold
WESTERN U/COMP CLASS OF 2004