Shoe Recommendations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Crayola227

Queen Tinfoil, types iwth a baby in her lap
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a regular SDN MD poster that wanted to ask the pod docs what specific recs they have for people that overpronate, have plantar fasciitis, and need a shoe they can slip custom orthotics into.

I tried searching SDN, there's nothing recent. I'd rather a 2 way chance to pick y'alls brains anyway.

Also curious what you guys think about Danskos.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a regular SDN MD poster that wanted to ask the pod docs what specific recs they have for people that overpronate, have plantar fasciitis, and need a shoe they can slip custom orthotics into.

I tried searching SDN, there's nothing recent. I'd rather a 2 way chance to pick y'alls brains anyway.

Danskos are my ortho friends' favorite thing next to Crossfit, those ankle injuries help keep the doors open. Love my Danskos tho, even if I know they'll betray me someday.
20654156.gif

Also curious what the pods like...

Reactions: 1 user

You really just need something with a strong heel counter (push upper at heel mediolaterally, it shouldn't deform easily), strong midsole (try to twist or wring the shoe at the midfoot, it shouldn't deform easily), last shape that matches your foot shape (straight, curved, etc), correctly sized, and with enough room after removing the manufacturer inserts for your custom inserts (make sure the last/insole isn't too narrow, which it can be in some athletic shoes). It's hard to go wrong with New Balance.

You shouldn't really need to look specifically at antipronatory/motion control/rollbar type shoes. They seem intuitive but the evidence is pretty controversial on them. Anyway, those generally just have a thin piece of firm plastic (maybe 1/8" thick) at the medial midsole of the shoe which isn't even necessary if your custom inserts were properly made. They'd probably be more effective for someone without custom inserts.

Sent from my Pixel using SDN mobile

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Orthotics are just one of many possible treatments for plantar fasciitis and I prescribe them only occasionally, however since you specifically were asking about shoe recommendations I will jump to that question.

Shoes are very personal matter. I usually make only a loose recommendation regarding any particular brand/model because if it doesn't fit the patient's foot and doesn't feel right, they will hate it and blame you for wasting their money. I therefore send them to a local shoe store and tell the patient that it's trial and error to get the "right" shoe, but I might give them a starting point. Hokas are popular, and Brooks has a new model called the Caldera that has a similar rocker design with moderate cushioning and ample internal volume.

I'm not a big fan of Danskos. I think it's mostly doctors and nurses who still wear those. Funny story about Danskos -- several years ago I had a patient who had a local F&A orthopedic surgeon tell him to wear Danskos. The thing is, this patient's job involved walking along the railroad tracks to check the rails. He said he kept twisting his ankles and wiping out because he was in those goofy clogs on uneven, loose, rocky sidehills. You have to take the patient's activities and dress codes into account.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Such long relies... I keep my recs simple.. since u mention overpronate then I assume I have flat and wide feet, get new balance, they have extra wide options. Danskos won't fit orthotics and for most it's a love it or hate it thing. One thing I also like are Hokas

Reactions: 1 user

Check out Altra shoes. Founded by runners and refined by DPM's. Small company rapidly growing. They have an extra wide toe box that allow the sesamoids to rest in their natural position under the 1st met, don't cause the normal friction at the tuberosity of the 5th met, and boast a zero drop. They're the most comfortable shoes I've ever worn, and they manage to acheive what I call passable style (wouldn't wear them for a night on a town, but wouldn't be embarrassed to wear them with scrubs or day to day). The site will show you the models that work for pronators/supinators, etc.

Reactions: 1 users
So I was at a local diabetic shoe store since I don't want to mess with the paperwork. It is owned by a cPed, a very successful store that has been around for decades. One of their employees on the showroom floor was checking out a customer. The customer asks "what's the difference between a pedorthist and a podiatrist?" The employee confidently and rather articulately responds "a pedorthist is an actual doctor, they prescribe medications, even do surgery. a podiatrist is more of a shoe maker and shoe fitter."

So I was at a local diabetic shoe store since I don't want to mess with the paperwork. It is owned by a cPed, a very successful store that has been around for decades. One of their employees on the showroom floor was checking out a customer. The customer asks "what's the difference between a pedorthist and a podiatrist?" The employee confidently and rather articulately responds "a pedorthist is an actual doctor, they prescribe medications, even do surgery. a podiatrist is more of a shoe maker and shoe fitter."
Must've been opposite day.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Ha! Silly employee, podiatrists specialize in treating kids.

Reactions: 5 users